yconic - Computer Science
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science

A photo of Jayk Jayk
What are some schools with good Computer Science departments OTHER than Waterloo and the University of Toronto in Ontario?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of Matiija Matiija
Hello, with regards to your question I think you should look at the courses offered by different universities and see what you think is the best approach for example first year students at UofT learn python compared to first year at Ryerson or Waterloo which learn java. It should come down to personal preference. To more directly answer your question In my personal opinion Waterloo or Ryerson are great schools for computer science. I would also really think about UofT because it is a lot more theory based rather than actually do some heavy programming.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZetaShift ZetaShift
Waterloo doesn't teach java in first year, get your facts straight.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@ZetaShift wrote
Waterloo doesn't teach java in first year, get your facts straight.

Ha. Troll. Just because Java is an industry standard doesn't mean it's a good language to teach people who haven't programmed before. In fact, it's terrible for that. The Waterloo transition from Scheme to C to C++ is very well done. I've seen first year curricula that start with C++ and Java. Students spend more time wrestling with syntax than actually learning and that's a stupid waste of time.

Of course, if you expect to be taking a course on every language you intend on learning, tech school is probably a better choice for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZetaShift ZetaShift
What? I never said Waterloo should start with Java. I was replying to Matiija, who said they did, when they in fact do not.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY MYDARKHEALTHSCIFANTASY

@Jayk wrote
What are some schools with good Computer Science departments OTHER than Waterloo and the University of Toronto in Ontario?

None.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie
EVERYONE is so obsessed with Waterloo or UofT for CS and Engineering, please open your eyes (If you get the allegory in there, good for you). There are many other universities which offer CS and Engineering degrees at a reputable level (Carleton, Queens).

Ottawa is sort of like the "Silicon Valley" of Canada, here is a prime example of what type of jobs you can get in CO OP as a Carleton Engineering student http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeeXbo5yWgQ

So please >.< ***OPEN YOUR EYES*** >.< and not encapsulate yourselves with the fact that if you don't do CS at Waterloo or UofT you're not going to be successful.
University is what you make of it, it doesn't make you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@iRamie wrote
EVERYONE is so obsessed with Waterloo or UofT for CS and Engineering, please open your eyes (If you get the allegory in there, good for you). There are many other universities which offer CS and Engineering degrees at a reputable level (Carleton, Queens).

Ottawa is sort of like the "Silicon Valley" of Canada, here is a prime example of what type of jobs you can get in CO OP as a Carleton Engineering student http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeeXbo5yWgQ

So please >.< ***OPEN YOUR EYES*** >.< and not encapsulate yourselves with the fact that if you don't do CS at Waterloo or UofT you're not going to be successful.
University is what you make of it, it doesn't make you.

Of course you can be successful elsewhere, but Waterloo and UofT are the gold standards. They have the best recruiting opportunities, and the largest alumni networks. Not to mention because UW has the LARGEST co-op program, they're able to bring in many more employers, and a much larger variety of jobs compared to schools with smaller co-op programs.

You can succeed at other schools for sure, but UW and UofT give you a leg up on the competition for sure.

In response to OP: I've heard UBC is good. Also, my CS teacher in HS loved Guelph, and almost convinced me to go there. As a plus, I think they have one of the largest group of female CS'ers if thats your thing.

Also: I love Scheme. One of my TA's at WLU was a 4th year CS DD, and he said Scheme was his favourite language. At first I thought he was a bit crazy, but I've grown to see what he was saying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Nick0rz wrote
Also: I love Scheme. One of my TA's at WLU was a 4th year CS DD, and he said Scheme was his favourite language. At first I thought he was a bit crazy, but I've grown to see what he was saying.

:D I myself dislike Scheme, but I do like functional programming. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I won't admit that it's extremely powerful... I see too many people dismiss it outright. I personally find Haskell's syntax to be much more expressive and thus elegant, and I suspect I will prefer it after some playing around, but as long as it's functional... :P

I'll put it this way---pretty much all the top students complete CS 241, which is the most difficult second year course in terms of coding demands, using Scheme. It makes for the most elegant and powerful code with the least required work. What's not to like?!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Just so you guys know, it's Dr.Racket now... not Scheme.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote
Just so you guys know, it's Dr.Racket now... not Scheme.

"Racket" is the dialect of Scheme used in 1A. Beyond that, you're using R5RS or maybe R6RS Scheme. There is so little difference between the two that it's not worth distinguishing. But thanks for your attempts to be pedantic...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz

@greygoose wrote

@Nick0rz wrote

:D I myself dislike Scheme, but I do like functional programming. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean I won't admit that it's extremely powerful... I see too many people dismiss it outright. I personally find Haskell's syntax to be much more expressive and thus elegant, and I suspect I will prefer it after some playing around, but as long as it's functional... :P

I'll put it this way---pretty much all the top students complete CS 241, which is the most difficult second year course in terms of coding demands, using Scheme. It makes for the most elegant and powerful code with the least required work. What's not to like?!

I think it was either Buss or Toman (CS245 Profs) who said that if you can't code something in Scheme, it can't be coded at all.

Yay for me taking CS241 in my 3B term, and having to remember a language I havent touched for 2+ years!
Was this helpful? Yes 0