yconic - Computer Science at U of T?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science at U of T?

A photo of jmicaela jmicaela
I'm really confused. At ryerson's site, they have a neat outline for the program, like what courses are to be taken for each year. At U of T, I believe first yr undergrad students have to be a... something like a general course student before actually entering the program. How does this work? atleast, for Computer Science.
:scratch: :compress:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of TZak TZak
Here are all the undergraduate courses!
UofT Undergrad Courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0

thanks and i've seen that page. Im talking about the pre program year in which they make you take elective courses before actually entering the program...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011
The whole idea is that University of Toronto gives you the flexibility to explore other courses, and declare your major during second year. That way, it's really easy, if you decide you don't like the program of interest you applied into, then you can switch :) That's why there are certain "breadth" requirements you must complete for your program as well. But it does make a difference what you actually apply into, because it determines what courses you get first pick on xD.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I know ^_^ but how does this yr work? How many courses am i taking for this yr? For anyone whove taken this yr, how was it?:albino:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cm0011 cm0011

@jmicaela wrote
I know ^_^ but how does this yr work? How many courses am i taking for this yr? For anyone whove taken this yr, how was it?:albino:

Haha I wrote this for another post, but I'll rewrite it here :)

I'm going into Computer Science at UofT St George, here is a list of the mandatory courses for first year. This is right off of the UofT site, and off of the many presentations I've been to about UofT CS (I do alot of research >.<)

First year (2.5 FCEs):
1. (CSC108H1, CSC148H1)/CSC150H1, CSC165H1/CSC240H1; (MAT135H1, MAT136H1)/MAT137Y1/MAT157Y1

If you have 0 experience in programming, you're going to want to take CSC108H1 (Intro to Programming), and then CSC148H1 (Advanced Programming). Don't worry, the Advanced one is a term after the Intro one, they're not together.

CSC165H1 -> Mathematical Expression and Reasoning for Computer Science

The MAT courses are just Calculus courses.

You'll have academic advising sessions, where a counselor will help you determine which course is appropriate for your skill level and what yo want to do.

You'll have 2.5 mandatory credits to take, and then you have 2.5 credits free for electives in first year.

Hope this helped! :)

Here's the website that has all require courses for CompSci if you don't trust me :)
http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/crs_csc.htm
Was this helpful? Yes 0