yconic - Computer Science in the US?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science in the US?

A photo of iRamie iRamie
If i wanted to go to Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Stanford, Berkley, etc.. The American schools, for computer science. As a grade 11 student what do i need to do?

I know they look at your grade 9 and 10 marks too :D, and i need to write the SAT and ACT.
Does anyone have any experience with this? How does the admission process work?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
You need to write the SAT or the ACT. Most schools require SAT subject tests as well. AP or IB courses look good. You'll need to maintain a very high GPA throughout high school. American schools are also big on ECs; try to commit yourself to a few teams/clubs and advance to leadership positions within them. Volunteering and work experience count too. You'll need recommendations, essays, and things like legacy or minority status don't hurt.

It's so much more involved than Canada. I was going to apply to elite American schools but realized my family couldn't afford the international tuition. Good luck, it's quite an accomplishment to get accepted to any of those schools you mentioned.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ZzZ ZzZ
This might help:
http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/faq.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LRooke LRooke
I heard that only the UC-system schools are strong for CS.
Was this helpful? Yes 0