yconic - computer science is boring?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

computer science is boring?

A photo of imnik imnik
Is it true that computer science is only maths and programming.Once u graduate u become a programmer for rest of your life?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of aimango aimango
If you dont like programming, there are other CS-related jobs such as data analyzing, project management, quality assurance. youll need some programming/technical background, but you wont actually have to code too much in these jobs.

big hit in the industry right now is mobile apps - which does require programming. but it's just fricken awesome to know that the app you worked on is being used by many users out there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@aimango wrote
If you dont like programming, there are other CS-related jobs such as data analyzing, project management, quality assurance. youll need some programming/technical background, but you wont actually have to code too much in these jobs.

big hit in the industry right now is mobile apps - which does require programming. but it's just fricken awesome to know that the app you worked on is being used by many users out there.

+1

Also it can actually open doors for you upon graduation if you would like to do any graduate studies. You can go into Math or you can go into Software Engineering, or im not sure what else you can go into (im only in gr 11 :p)

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@aimango wrote

QA I wouldn't bet on. It's a low-level job, and high-level QA tends to be outsourced these days, at least in my experience.

Systems administration, project planning, contract work, network design and maintenance, business systems analysis (tech planning with a business spin), software design (rather than coding), algorithm design, academia, and research are all fields that you could potentially be working in.

I might add, I thought I would hate development. I specifically avoided going into CS because I thought it wasn't something I wanted to do for a living. I learned though, that especially at high levels, development jobs are much more thinking and problem solving than churning out code. Even in my entry-level co-op position, I'm learning so much and doing so much thinking I'm not bored of some of the less exciting tasks.

Ended up switching to a joint major for that reason.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thePurpleEngineer thePurpleEngineer
Don't think of Computer Science as a stepping stone towards a code-monkey job...

Sure, you do get to do a lot of coding in CS, but it's not "coding" that you learn in Computer Science.
The important thing that you learn in CS is how to develop "algorithms".

Algorithms, if you don't know it already, is a specific list of steps that you can follow to complete a task (ie. solve a problem).
Let's say you want to travel from point A to point B on a map. There are many possible paths that you can take including going all the way around the world, but can you find the SHORTEST path from that point A to point B??

What "steps" did you take in order to come to a conclusion that the path you chose is the shortest path between point A and point B?? Can you repeat the steps again for another points C and D?

What if you were to take those "steps" (ie. "algorithms"), and make a computer do it so that you don't have to do it again yourself?

You can expect these types of problems thrown at you when you enter into a programming job. Not so boring now, is it? :P

BTW, if you are interested in solving that puzzle, look up Dijkstra's algorithm...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98
Youre trolling right? This topic is just so illinformed. It seems like something an older relative would say since in their office they used to work with a guy who graduated from Seneca computer programming and is working as the IT guy at the office.
Was this helpful? Yes 0