yconic - Computer Science, Math, Accounting!?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science, Math, Accounting!?

A photo of mhz mhz
Hello, I am a student in Ontario currently in Grade 11. My skills are in problem-solving and analyzing. My courses this semester are Accounting (92%), Math (93%) and Computer Science (100%). I dropped Biology for a spare because I really didn't care for it (The teacher was a jerk, the course seemed repetitive and boring and those two elements combined are bad. Oh yeah and there weren't enough seats in the room so I had to use a stool.)

Anyway... what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, I'm very interested in these three subjects. If I had actually tried (ie. payed attention in class, studied, did homework) in these classes, I could have easily had a 100% average but I didn't and now I regret it.

My questions are:

1. Which university best suits me? Which program?
2. What should I start doing NOW to ensure acceptance?
3. Which branch has the best chance of me making lots of $$$$$?

Simple really.

Thanks and good luck to all of you on your exams in the next week. :)

Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of blackjack blackjack
If you like math and accounting, there is a really good math/ca program at waterloo, which is considered one of the best accounting programs in canada. You get a masters in 5 years and having a CA would probably earn you $$$. But I think you should go for your interests, not the money. Grade 11 marks do not really matter so just make sure to pay attention and try hard in your grade 12 courses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No one can tell you what program suits you....you have to find that out for yourself. What you can do right now is reseach different programs and look at your interests. However if money is all you care about then accounting or getting a degree heading toward investment banking (so i donno finance?) is your best bet. Like blackjack said check out waterloo CA program and also there other math programs. Take physics and chem this year just in case you decide to go into engineering. And if your reali into computers get involved and do some programing this will open up the option for you to go into UW's software eng program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
It may be true that the Math/CA is best suited for your 3 interests of CS, Math and Accounting, but if you are truly into problem solving and analysis, it is not the program for you.

Being a CA is awesome but it is honestly boring if you like problem solving and analysis and you have the ABILITY to think at that high level. The Math/CA program does get you a BMath but you really don't learn much in your 5 years.

I'd suggest one of the Math or CompSci Double Degrees with Laurier BBA - only Double Degree from day 1 in Canada.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
1. Which university best suits me? Which program? Waterloo.
2. What should I start doing NOW to ensure acceptance? Get killer marks.
3. Which branch has the best chance of me making lots of $$$$$? Accounting with a Bachelors. CS if you want to go on to grad school.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I was in your position in gr 11.

1. Which university best suits me? Which program? Waterloo definitely has what youre looking for.

Accounting - AFM (Accounting and financial management) or Math/CA
CS/math-wise - Software engineering or CS
btw have you taken phys/chem? you would need those for soft eng.

2. What should I start doing NOW to ensure acceptance?
get involved a bit ie. if your school has cs team/club. for accounting, lol deca? or maybe get involved with junior achievement if you have that in your region.

3. Which branch has the best chance of me making lots of $$$$$?
depends. idk about math but CAs make a lot of money. and CS jobs = money too as time goes on.

both paths are great but i really think that if youre good at problem solving and thinking and like challenges, go with CS.

The AFM program right now ( I know many AFM students) goes something like this:
little class time (many of my AFM first yr friends have tue/thurs off) but ppl in the program are encouraged to get involved a lot. network a lot. if you dont think you will be used to that, then AFM is probably not for you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0