yconic - Computer Science, waterloo or uot
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science, waterloo or uot

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
Hey,
I am hoping to get into University of Waterloo (co-op) or University of Toronto for computer science next year. I am wondering what kind of grades I need to become a favorable candidate for acceptance.

Are there certain high school courses, save for the prerequisites, that would prove beneficial to said program? Unfortunately, they do not offer computer science at my school. Would taking Data Management be of any use to me? Physics 4U?

Do university preparatory courses hold more weighting over the mixed university/college courses (Ontario)?

The current credits I have to put towards my top six:
LVV4U – 97%
CHI4U – 97%
ENG4U – 91%

Currently taking MCR3U – 98% ATM

I feel confident that I will achieve at least 90% in both the Advanced Functions and the Calculus. I think I could pick up an easy course and achieve somewhere in the mid-nineties. Would it make a difference if I took something like Canadian Families or another U-course?

Thanks

Edit:

Do any of these schools allow for a double major in non-related areas, such as history?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of phylloconcrete phylloconcrete
You'll have no problem at all as long as you have even mediocre extra-curriculars.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of inyoface inyoface
I think you will have no problems. That said, I don't think you should slack off, because it will show in the end. I also recommend that you take a course that is relevant or at least is of interest to you, as opposed to the easiest course. This is a good chunk of your life that you don't want to waste.

UofT allows for the double majors you described, provided you have the time/will to take those courses.
You will have to ask Waterloo for their guidelines, as each school is different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
I'm in the same boat..how did you finish 3 gr. 12 courses already :O

And for the Data management part, take it. I am currently doing it (gr.11)...it's sorta tough but I know you will do it in comp sci first or second year..it goes over some good and important concepts (stats, probability, permutations) - great head start. And plus when you do this stuff in uni, it will be a breeze (or so I have heard).

BTW, do you have any programming exp.? I have only very little, and I didn't take comp sci either.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
I have very little programming experience. I could always pick up a comparative literature degree – because it would be easier!! I think demonstrating your capacity to learn is always a benefit. So I am not too worried about it. I think I may try to squeeze in some time to learn before I am officially in a computer science program.

Simply taking one reach ahead English course can do wonders for you. LVV4U requires ENG2D as a prerequisite. Doing the grade 11 English in grade 10 can open a lot of 4U classes in grade 11. There are a lot of useless grade 11 courses. Personally, this seemed a good opportunity to stack grade 12 courses. The more courses you have the better your top 6. I intend on taking 6 more 4M or 4U courses next year. Two of those are the prerequisites, advanced functions and calculus.

Who knows, maybe I will be able to break the 97% mark or get another 97% at the very least. :)

I need to work hard to carry that ENG4U mark Q_Q
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
These rejection threads are making me nervous. LOL.

Anyway, could anybody comment on Data Management? How challenging is the course? Could you juxatapose the just how challenging it is to another course if possible. 1 to 10 scale?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@Xizeta wrote

Anyway, could anybody comment on Data Management? How challenging is the course? Could you juxatapose the just how challenging it is to another course if possible. 1 to 10 scale?

Wow, never heard of that word. A Google search gave me "juxtapose" which is probably what you meant to say.

Anyway, DM all depends on the teacher. I was fortunate enough to get a teacher who gives out bonuses, since the course material IS pretty tough (then again not so much). I am getting a high 90. Well, one thing you have to keep in mind is that you MUST review all the homework before the tests. The homework is where the trickiest questions come in to play and on tests. Reviewing lessons won't really cut it, maybe enough to get a 90 if you are real good..You are going to be dealing with it in uni I believe, it's best if you take it now. Don't underestimate yourself, it is NOT that hard. From reviews, I've heard it is harder than AF but easier than Calculus. Others give the opposite response. It's a good course overall, and I'd say it's pretty fun although hectic..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Xizeta wrote

At most schools it is REALLY easy, at some schools it is more difficult, and some do struggle with the concepts, but for the most part it is a joke I had zero problems with it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0