yconic - Computer Science with Ivey HBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science with Ivey HBA

A photo of Sayooos Sayooos
I accepted my Western offer for medical science and Ivey AEO, but I was thinking of changing the medical sciences to computer science. I was just wondering how useful computer science is in business, specifically finance and investment banking?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Comp Sci could be very useful in certain aspects of finance (Trading, etc.) but not really ibanking.

You might want to switch to financial modelling, one of the newer modules in science.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
Dude just do whatever you want, the guy at the AEO presentation even said that a huge advantage for the 2+2 system is that students can choose anything that interests them in the first two years.

I feel that if you're taking something you don't like just so that you'll be prepared for Ivey is wasting the a huge advantage of the 2+2.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@Subtle wrote
Dude just do whatever you want, the guy at the AEO presentation even said that a huge advantage for the 2+2 system is that students can choose anything that interests them in the first two years.

I feel that if you're taking something you don't like just so that you'll be prepared for Ivey is wasting the a huge advantage of the 2+2.

That's true but I think a lot of people misunderstand the concept of "choosing what you want" because for a lot of people, doing what's best for them is what they'd enjoy the most.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Computer science (as well as f-mod) are both good combinations with a business degree. It can be extremely useful to have a technical background, and I've heard that computer science in particular can work out very well.

On the other hand, I would think that the knowledge you learn in the medical sciences would be less applicable in your target fields of finance and investment. However, that combination might benefit you more if you want to do administrative medicine or more easily enter a company that deals with a science-based industry. If you're unsure of what you want to do and want to leave your options of med school open, you may as well stay in medical science though (personal opinion)!
Was this helpful? Yes 0