yconic - Computer Science|UBC or UA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Computer Science|UBC or UA

A photo of bcobco158 bcobco158
Not sure about co-op specifically, but I'd definitely recommend UBC. It's a better school overall and their CS is stronger.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of Zion Zion
Not sure about co-op specifically, but I'd definitely recommend UBC. It's a better school overall and their CS is stronger.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
^ High school student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
^ High school student.

So I can't have an opinion? Like anything on the internet, the OP can take my post with a grain of salt. I have siblings and friends at both UBC and U of A and he was asking which school was better for CS, so I answered his question.

I don't see how me being in high school nullifies that. The majority of this forum isn't in university, so maybe that's more indicative of you being out of place.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I didn't mean to say that you can't have an opinion, just that your opinion is biased (by your classmates and by a lot of the members of this forum) and uninformed (face it, you've never taken a class at university). You seem to be obsessed with minor differences in the supposed quality and/or reputation of universities - something typical of high school students. I can say this because you're suggesting to the OP that he or she choose UBC over U of A because UBC is better overall (marginally so by many measures, yes) and their CS is stronger (I have no idea, but I don't think you know what it is that would make one school's faculty stronger than anothers) with total disregard for any of the other factors that a person should take into consideration when choosing one school over another.

You're definitely more knowledgeable than 99.9% of your peers, but you just have this obsession with reputation that makes your advice substantially less valid.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion
How do I have an obsession with reputation? I think UBC has a better reputation than Queen's as well, yet I'm going to Queen's. You've gotten all defensive just because I said UBC was stronger than U of A. I never said U of A was a bad school.

If this thread was restricted to people who had attended both UBC and U of A, the OP wouldn't be getting much advice, would he? No opinion is perfectly impartial. UBC's CS is stronger; I'm going into Computing, I've researched this.

And I don't have a "total disregard for any other factors," it's just that those factors are more personal. The OP only asked about co-op (which I admitted I didn't know much about) and the respective reputations of their CS departments, which I did comment on with a fairly objective answer (look up any CS ranking, UBC wins). If the OP had asked about other factors such as campus, student satisfaction, extracurriculars, etc, which are all very important, then maybe I would have touched on that or simply told him it's subjective.

As I said, if I only cared about reputation, I wouldn't be going to Queen's, because I'll admit McGill, U of T, and UBC are all more recognized.

Also, I have taken a university course. Does that make my post valid now? Do I have your permission to share my opinions with others?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of pepper pepper

I didn't mean to say that you can't have an opinion, just that your opinion is biased (by your classmates and by a lot of the members of this forum) and uninformed (face it, you've never taken a class at university). You seem to be obsessed with minor differences in the supposed quality and/or reputation of universities - something typical of high school students. I can say this because you're suggesting to the OP that he or she choose UBC over U of A because UBC is better overall (marginally so by many measures, yes) and their CS is stronger (I have no idea, but I don't think you know what it is that would make one school's faculty stronger than anothers) with total disregard for any of the other factors that a person should take into consideration when choosing one school over another.

You're definitely more knowledgeable than 99.9% of your peers, but you just have this obsession with reputation that makes your advice substantially less valid.

+1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Zion wrote
How do I have an obsession with reputation? I think UBC has a better reputation than Queen's as well, yet I'm going to Queen's. You've gotten all defensive just because I said UBC was stronger than U of A. I never said U of A was a bad school.

If this thread was restricted to people who had attended both UBC and U of A, the OP wouldn't be getting much advice, would he? No opinion is perfectly impartial. UBC's CS is stronger; I'm going into Computing, I've researched this.

And I don't have a "total disregard for any other factors," it's just that those factors are more personal. The OP only asked about co-op (which I admitted I didn't know much about) and the respective reputations of their CS departments, which I did comment on with a fairly objective answer (look up any CS ranking, UBC wins). If the OP had asked about other factors such as campus, student satisfaction, extracurriculars, etc, which are all very important, then maybe I would have touched on that or simply told him it's subjective.

As I said, if I only cared about reputation, I wouldn't be going to Queen's, because I'll admit McGill, U of T, and UBC are all more recognized.

Also, I have taken a university course. Does that make my post valid now? Do I have your permission to share my opinions with others?

Relax. No need to get your panties in a knot.

"Not sure about co-op specifically, but I'd definitely recommend UBC. It's a better school overall and their CS is stronger." That's what you said. My advice to this person would be to go to the school that he prefers... I don't know what he cares about or where he is from, nor do you; those are things only he knows. The reputation of a school, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about marginal differences in reputation like we are here, is unimportant, yet that is all you talked about. You don't need to provide the guy with perfect advice; I don't expect you to and neither should the OP. I was just reminding the OP that your opinion is that of a high schooler (and thus was implying that you're "obsessed" with the reputation of schools - "obsessed" being an exaggeration).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Zion Zion

Relax. No need to get your panties in a knot.

Zinger of a comeback.

"Not sure about co-op specifically, but I'd definitely recommend UBC. It's a better school overall and their CS is stronger." That's what you said. My advice to this person would be to go to the school that he prefers... I don't know what he cares about or where he is from, nor do you; those are things only he knows. The reputation of a school, ESPECIALLY when we're talking about marginal differences in reputation like we are here, is unimportant, yet that is all you talked about.

I only talked about reputation because reputation is all he asked about. I thought I already made that clear. I addressed the topic, that doesn't make me obsessed with it. Obviously he should go to the school he prefers. But if he already knew that he wouldn't be posting here, would he? You're not being as enlightening as you think you are.

I was just reminding the OP that your opinion is that of a high schooler (and thus was implying that you're "obsessed" with the reputation of schools - "obsessed" being an exaggeration).

Well, thank you for your contribution. You're evidently just butthurt that I didn't recommend U of A.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I thought you were reasonable. Guess I was wrong.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shabe Shabe

I thought you were reasonable. Guess I was wrong.

Overeacting much?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

I know this will seem like I'm just trying to be the faggy dispute-resolver, but whatever...

The whole reason we are in disagreement is because we're actually answering two different questions. You're taking the question of which program/school is better to be "which program is more reputable?"; I see the question as being more holistic. I'm holding the more objective interpretation, as "better" does not mean "more reputable", but he probably (because he is a high school student) was actually asking "which program is more reputable?" Perhaps I have too high of expectations of people's writing abilities, but who knows? Maybe what I thought he meant is what he meant.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Shabe Shabe

He is, yes.

Sorry, but I think you are the one that is overreacting. Firstly, I am a high school student myself, and I admit reputation is one of the factors when choosing the school. You can totally say that I am "obessed" with reputation. Why? Because I feel absolutely great when after all the hard work, I will be able to go to a highly respected school; ultimately proving my academic capabilities. How is that relevant? Well, ask yourself this question: Do you honestly believe that the company you are applying to will pay zero attenion to the school you attended? Secondly, I find it offensive when you just came into this thread and called Zion "^high school student". I feel like you are being arrogant and ignorant. If I interpreted your post properly, you are stating that all high school students think like Zion, which is false of course since how would it be possible for you to know that? Lastly, I have nothing else to say and have a nice day~
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My "^ high school student" post was arrogant, I agree. That was 100% intentional. If I left it at that, then, yes, you would be correct in stating that I am being arrogant. HOWEVER, I clarified that he seems to always be recommending schools based on reputation. That's my opinion, and I even gave a very specific reason why I thought it was true. And I gave constructive feedback: "You're definitely more knowledgeable than 99.9% of your peers, but you just have this obsession with reputation that makes your advice substantially less valid." I'm not dissing him personally - NOT AT ALL - just his advice, but he took it personally. He'll deny that he took it personally, but his behaviour strongly suggests otherwise: "Zinger of a comeback." "You're not being as enlightening as you think you are." "You're evidently just butthurt that I didn't recommend U of A." Those were his responses to my criticism.

Reputation is absolutely something you should take into consideration when selecting a school, but there are so many other factors. Zion is recommending one school over another because of reputation (and marginal differences in reputation at that). Zion thinks it is obvious that the OP should go to the school he prefers (and, yes, that is obvious), but it is also obvious that UBC is more reputable than U of A, so...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

The whole reason we are in disagreement is because we're actually answering two different questions. You're taking the question of which program/school is better to be "which program is more reputable?"; I see the question as being more holistic. I'm holding the more objective interpretation, as "better" does not mean "more reputable", but he probably (because he is a high school student) was actually asking "which program is more reputable?"

How do you think programs/schools become reputable? Is it just a coincidence that good schools have good reputations? There is a relation there, it's not completely shallow.

HOWEVER, I clarified that he seems to always be recommending schools based on reputation.

Only when reputation is the criterion of whoever's asking for a recommendation. Look through my posts and you'll see lots of advice based on other criteria. If reputation was all I cared about, I would be going to McGill.

That's my opinion, and I even gave a very specific reason why I thought it was true. And I gave constructive feedback: "You're definitely more knowledgeable than 99.9% of your peers, but you just have this obsession with reputation that makes your advice substantially less valid." I'm not dissing him personally - NOT AT ALL - just his advice, but he took it personally. He'll deny that he took it personally, but his behaviour strongly suggests otherwise: "Zinger of a comeback." "You're not being as enlightening as you think you are." "You're evidently just butthurt that I didn't recommend U of A." Those were his responses to my criticism.

And you saying "don't get your panties in a knot" isn't taking it personally? There are dozens of more controversial posts every day about which school is better than which, yet you single mine out. And you agreed with me in the other thread when I discussed reputation, yet as soon as U of A is in the equation you feel the need to belittle my advice.

Reputation is absolutely something you should take into consideration when selecting a school, but there are so many other factors. Zion is recommending one school over another because of reputation (and marginal differences in reputation at that). Zion thinks it is obvious that the OP should go to the school he prefers (and, yes, that is obvious), but it is also obvious that UBC is more reputable than U of A, so...

I've already addressed this multiple times. If the OP had asked about other factors, perhaps I would have commented on them. Obviously they each have their pros and cons beyond reputation, but the OP only wanted to know about co-op (which I admitted I wasn't knowledgeable about) and the reputation of their CS programs, which I could comment on and did, to your great dismay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0