yconic - concerning poli sci in Carleton please help
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

concerning poli sci in Carleton please help

A photo of highskoolblows highskoolblows
well i am a grade 12 student from high school at the moment and i am currently trying to get into university for poli sci and law in Carleton but my thing is i did ended up with a poor mark in English(70) last term due to personal reasons and i was wondering should i take night school or could i still get into the program i want if i drove up my average because English is my worst mark and i can still get my avg to high 70 or mid 80s

any though is appreciated
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm in political science and law at Carleton. It seems this program is too prestigious for you so I'd say no. Try applying again next year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
70 seems to be enough for English in Carleton most of the time... You can always take in night school to get a higher mark if you know it won't conflict with your other courses. However, I heard they put an 'X' beside courses taken outside of day school, which apparently makes it look bad. Just for a heads up...

Good luck.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe

@ARMY101 wrote
I'm in political science and law at Carleton. It seems this program is too prestigious for you so I'd say no. Try applying again next year.

lol "too prestigious"

From the Carleton website:

An overall average of at least 70% is normally required to be considered for admission.

They did mention that some programs require higher averages, but I'm sure if you're overall average is in the 80s range, you'll be fine for admission. I had a friend last year with an average in the high 70s range and she still got into Carleton for polisci. It's not that difficult. (Or "too prestigious".)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Maybe take an improvement course instead of repeating it...?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@canta93loupe wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

lol "too prestigious"

An overall average of at least 70% is normally required to be considered for admission.

They did mention that some programs require higher averages, but I'm sure if you're overall average is in the 80s range, you'll be fine for admission. I had a friend last year with an average in the high 70s range and she still got into Carleton for polisci. It's not that difficult. (Or "too prestigious".)

You're wrong.

And pretty much every school says the minimum is 70% in English. That doesn't mean you'll get in anywhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of canta93loupe canta93loupe

@ARMY101 wrote

@canta93loupe wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

lol "too prestigious"

You're wrong.

And pretty much every school says the minimum is 70% in English. That doesn't mean you'll get in anywhere.

I'm wrong by saying Carleton isn't prestigious? I'm sure that Carleton is a good university and it does have a good reputation (at least for some programs), but reputation and prestige do not necessarily go hand in hand. I actually don't know ANYONE who would say Carleton is a "prestigious" university.

And I guess we'll just have to see what happens if highskoolblows decides to apply this year. (:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of joeyyy joeyyy
I was accepted in January (early acceptance XD) with an 85% in Gr. 11. I've had a friend who was admitted to the same program with an 81% average in Gr. 11.

You still haven't really mentioned your current average. I think if your overall average for your top six is a high 70 you'll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of highskoolblows highskoolblows
well if anyone wanted to know i did get accepted so thanks a lot to ARMY 101 or w.e for his prestigious school crap :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0