yconic - Concurrent vs B Ed after?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Concurrent vs B Ed after?

A photo of Kargo93 Kargo93
So what is the advantage of this?
they both take 5 years... and you become a teacher at the end.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
22 replies

A photo of gassergasser gassergasser
Concurrent: You don't have to go to teacher's college, because the program is basically like that, however it is really competative to get into since there is a limit on how many people can be in it.

Consecutive: I don't think its as competeative as concurrent, it's shorter and right after that you go to teacher's college, which is also very competative to get in.

Either way I think both programs have their challenges, pros and cons, it all depends what you think.

I want to go into Concurrent because I'D rather get the challenge over with.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@gassergasser wrote
Concurrent: You don't have to go to teacher's college, because the program is basically like that, however it is really competative to get into since there is a limit on how many people can be in it.

Consecutive: I don't think its as competeative as concurrent, it's shorter and right after that you go to teacher's college, which is also very competative to get in.

Either way I think both programs have their challenges, pros and cons, it all depends what you think.

I want to go into Concurrent because I'D rather get the challenge over with.

Thanks, another question

I did some research, it seems canada is saturated with teachers? atleast in the other forums people say its hard to find jobs? do you think a business teacher is in demand?-Economics, marketing, accounting, etc...

thanks again
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah there is a surplus of Bed holders in Ontario right now, I plan on moving away eventualy if I can't find a job,; Math, science, French, and any other classical language teahcers are in demand, while stuff like history and English I don't think is. I'm really not sure about buisness, however since the buisness department at schools are usually small(there are like 5 buisness teachers at my school compared to the 15 English teahcers) I wouldn't really know for sure if its low because of low demand, or because no one wants to be a business teacher, you should google it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Jw... where do you plan to move?
What school are you planning to attend?

What do you think about BC? vancouver island, rural areas, etc...

And is it possible for teachers to work in europe?

thanks,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The Schools I plan on applying to are Brock, Lakehead, Laurentian, Nipissing, and York. I plan on getting a certificate to teach English abroad to gain as much experience in teaching as possible. With a certificate like that, you can teach English in Europe, Asia, wherever.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

So what are your thoughts on Waterloo concurrent?

what's you avg?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I didn't even know Waterloo had an education program, I didn't see anything on the website , well anyway I'm a grade 11 right now, my average at midterm was a measly 78.8% I blame English(72%) and media arts(74%) for bringing me down...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

nvm on OUAC waterloo was in the concurrent section..
I changed it to york - Business economics concurrent
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kaloolah kaloolah

@gassergasser wrote
The Schools I plan on applying to are Brock, Lakehead, Laurentian, Nipissing, and York. I plan on getting a certificate to teach English abroad to gain as much experience in teaching as possible. With a certificate like that, you can teach English in Europe, Asia, wherever.

Do you plan on doing TEFL?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah TEFL was one I was looking at
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rishnarale rishnarale
i was thinking of going into music with conc education. but if it takes the same amnount of years as without concurrent, then the main adv is to avoid the toughness of getting into teachers college. but for undergrad, is either one good?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@rishnarale wrote
i was thinking of going into music with conc education. but if it takes the same amnount of years as without concurrent, then the main adv is to avoid the toughness of getting into teachers college. but for undergrad, is either one good?

what? They are both undergrad...
only thing is you grad with 2 degrees but with cons you get a degree than you work on another degree than you teach..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ksherry ksherry
French teachers are really in demand. I'm currently in the French Concurrent Education program at University of Toronto. I've talked to alot of principals and they all have told me that I should get a job fairly fast when I graduate.
I plan on going to France to teach English as a second language for a while, that way when I come back to Canada I already have teaching experience and my French will have improved as well. :thumleft:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of queeny2493 queeny2493

@ksherry wrote
French teachers are really in demand. I'm currently in the French Concurrent Education program at University of Toronto. I've talked to alot of principals and they all have told me that I should get a job fairly fast when I graduate.
I plan on going to France to teach English as a second language for a while, that way when I come back to Canada I already have teaching experience and my French will have improved as well. :thumleft:

I'm hearing this quite a bit also, from all the teachers that know I want to become a teacher. They're encouraging me to continue French throughout university.

Also, I'd like to add to the initial question of Concurrent or B Ed after: I think that it mainly depends on if you know for sure whether or not you want to become a teacher.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of firefire firefire
Getting a B Ed after getting another degree appeals to me more, personally. The thing about concurrent is that a lot of programs (that I've researched) make you take purely education classes in 5th year, and make you finish your other degree in 4th year... basically, I see it as having less opportunity to learn about what you actually want to teach...

Unless there are some programs that are truly concurrent and let you take non-education classes right up until the end of fifth year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Ba Ba Blue Ba Ba Blue

basically, I see it as having less opportunity to learn about what you actually want to teach...

I don't understand what you're saying. How is consecutive any different from that? You take a 4 year honours undergrad degree, then finish that up and do a fifth year of Education courses. The only difference I see is that concurrent starts you on placement earlier, so you really get to see what you want to teach earlier and have more time to reflect on it (and also gather things for your portfolio) than you would in a consecutive program. Concurrent is better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tatianolishka Tatianolishka

@Kargo93 wrote
Jw... where do you plan to move?
What school are you planning to attend?

What do you think about BC? vancouver island, rural areas, etc...

And is it possible for teachers to work in europe?

thanks,

@ksherry wrote

I plan on going to France to teach English as a second language for a while, that way when I come back to Canada I already have teaching experience and my French will have improved as well.

It's very true. EVERY teacher who has ever spoken to me has said that if you have that French background, you'll get snapped up pretty fast :cat:

There is a huge demand for French Immersion teachers currently in BC, particularily in the high-school level. You are almost guaranteed a job if you can teach at that level, since there are a lot of teachers in that area retiring within the next couple years. There's also a demand for math and physics teachers as well. I had a psychology teacher in the eleventh grade who had taken only two psych courses in university, so my suggestion is to get a real variety of electives no matter what you choose, which makes you more flexible if the job market is what you're worried about.

I have been pre-accepted into the concurrent program at uVic for elementary education, and plan on teaching in a rural setting sometime in my career. I have a french immersion background and plan on using it to my full advantage.

I chose concurrent because, for elementary education, it is simply the better option. You are with the same group of people for the entire five years, which gives you a sense of community as you go through school, instead of going through four years and then suddenly getting cut off into a different group. However, if I wanted to do middle school, I would've chosen to do my BA and then do the post-degree so that I would have more to offer my students.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Madamoiselle Madamoiselle
1) The concurrent education program is, in short, a university program that combines teaching with the subject matter that you wish to teach, removing the need to go to teachers college later.

2) The other option would be to go to university to study the subject that you wish to teach, and then go to teachers college for the remainder of the time.

BE CAREFUL because with the second option, after you finish university, you must apply into teachers college, which is very competitive. If you do not make it, you may have to wait and apply again year after year until, hopefully, you make it in.

HOWEVER, although I am not sure about other universities, the one that I am interested in offers more scholarship money through the Outstanding Scholars problem for students with high marks - only if I take the second option. Just verify with a guidance counsellor or the university about that.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jonathan12 Jonathan12
[quote=Madamoiselle]1)
BE CAREFUL because with the second option, after you finish university, you must apply into teachers college, which is very competitive. If you do not make it, you may have to wait and apply again year after year until, hopefully, you make it in.

There is always the option of going abroad for teachers college. I know Australian programs qualify you to teach back in Canada and are not as competitive as Canadian teachers colleges to get in to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jonathan12 Jonathan12
[quote=Madamoiselle]1)

There is always the option of going abroad for teachers college. I know Australian programs qualify you to teach back in Canada and are not as competitive as Canadian teachers colleges to get in to.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of simpali simpali
I am currently in a combined degree program at the University of Lethbridge and I do think that you get to know your fellow classmates very well and there is definitely a feeling of community, but I do not think that differs alot from the after degree. One thing that I have found tough in the concurrent situation is that I have had to go between my Bachelor of Science and Education. It is challenging to go back to regular classes if you take a practicum or ed classes the semester before. I think it would be really nice to take all education classes together in one bunch. Alot of students at the U of L are after degrees.
I would not say that it is more or less competitive to get it either way. Education is competative in general.
One thing that makes the decision tough here is that the after degree takes 6 years not 5. One thing is for sure, I am glad I picked U of L, the program here is amazing!
Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted