yconic - Conditional offer?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Conditional offer?

A photo of dan031 dan031
Hello, today I logged onto the Carleton Central Website (not expecting to see anything but just for something to do) and I discovered that I have been given a conditional offer depending on my marks. The thing is, it doesn't give me the average I need or any other details.

As a result I am beginning to wonder if this is just a generic status update given to all applicants than a final decision will be made on who will be accepted once the final marks are handed in (problematic as I have my worst courses this semester and will probably only end up with a low 70 -if that- average (though next semester should raise it up).

I am just curious (and nervous) on if this is actually an offer, and if it is how could I find out what the actual conditions are.

Here is what it says on the web page:

Application Status: Decision Made
Decision: Admitted with Condition(s)

Thank you for your help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
15 replies

A photo of g93 g93
You will receive information by mail along with a letter offering you admission. Included in this information will be the conditions, (which usually is your marks, tend to be slightly lower than the cutoff)

Congratulations! You have been accepted to Carleton! :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
Whew...that's a bit reassuring.

Thank you for the quick reply, now I just have to hope that I don't screw this up :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dan031 wrote
Whew...that's a bit reassuring.

Thank you for the quick reply, now I just have to hope that I don't screw this up :)

Don't worry. If your marks were good enough to get early acceptance, chances are you won't drop below what is required.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
First off, thanks for everyone who replied.

Secondly, I have just one more question regarding my offer (which I have yet to learn the details of :!: ). I was wondering, say if the average I need to have in order to be accepted is 70 (just using an example as I don't know yet), and in the first semester I only get a 68, would I lose my acceptance until I improve my average via the mid term second semester marks, or does the offer only apply when they have all 6 of my grades.

Sorry for so many questions, it's just I messed up part way through the semester with two of my courses and I'm worried that they'll cost me this offer at the end of the semester (all I can envision is getting a notice of deferral after telling my family that I had an offer lol).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia

@dan031 wrote
First off, thanks for everyone who replied.

Secondly, I have just one more question regarding my offer (which I have yet to learn the details of :!: ). I was wondering, say if the average I need to have in order to be accepted is 70 (just using an example as I don't know yet), and in the first semester I only get a 68, would I lose my acceptance until I improve my average via the mid term second semester marks, or does the offer only apply when they have all 6 of my grades.

Sorry for so many questions, it's just I messed up part way through the semester with two of my courses and I'm worried that they'll cost me this offer at the end of the semester (all I can envision is getting a notice of deferral after telling my family that I had an offer lol).

They re-calculate your average at the END of the year, so after your second semester, so I would think as long as you have the 70 by the end of the year, completed with the 6 courses, you're still good to go. :) The 68 is coming from 4 courses, and not all 4 may be used to calculate your average, so I think you'd still be okay.
But the best way to find out is by e-mailing the school and asking personally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
Once again thank you for your reply and I'll be taking your advice on emailing them once I receive the actual details of the offer.

Again sorry for all the questions (twin brother has been putting doubts into my head I think he's just jealous as he didn't receive an offer lol)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ashleybrough92 ashleybrough92
well good luck and so far you got accepted but it says conditional offer which means that as long as u keep the same average, or mark they shoul send u the details u will be fine good luck and congrats :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dan031 wrote
Again sorry for all the questions (twin brother has been putting doubts into my head I think he's just jealous as he didn't receive an offer lol)

Not to worry!
That's so cute, haha.. got a jealous twin, I see!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SummerKnight SummerKnight

@dan031 wrote
Hello, today I logged onto the Carleton Central Website (not expecting to see anything but just for something to do) and I discovered that I have been given a conditional offer depending on my marks. The thing is, it doesn't give me the average I need or any other details.

As a result I am beginning to wonder if this is just a generic status update given to all applicants than a final decision will be made on who will be accepted once the final marks are handed in (problematic as I have my worst courses this semester and will probably only end up with a low 70 -if that- average (though next semester should raise it up).

I am just curious (and nervous) on if this is actually an offer, and if it is how could I find out what the actual conditions are.

Here is what it says on the web page:

Application Status: Decision Made
Decision: Admitted with Condition(s)

Thank you for your help.

I got an offer of admissions for Enviromental Studies which is in the same faculty of yours and i only have to maintain a 70 average so its probably the same for u
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Krista Cow Chau Krista Cow Chau
If I received a conditional offer, but I'm not too sure whether I could stick to their conditions, should I accept that program?
Especially if it's a really good program. ><
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Krista Cow Chau Krista Cow Chau
If I received a conditional offer, but I'm not too sure whether I could stick to their conditions, should I accept that program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Krista Cow Chau wrote

I would wait till near the end of the year when ALL the acceptances have come out and see if you've gotten into any other programs.
There's no rush to accept any school in particular, it's still the beginning of early acceptances right now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CrystalRobinson CrystalRobinson
I agree that emails or status updates online can be confusing, nothing is really clear until they send you the actual letter in the mail, which they do for anything really important... it makes me wish they would not tell you anything online... I'd rather wait then be confused!!!! I got into quite a mix up over tution costs for a semester abroad as the website and email appeared to quote the cost for the entire year but then when I got the letter it was the cost PER SEMESTER..... sigh....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of junki3 junki3
I also got a similar offer from Carleton, but for biomedical computing. So just keeping your average as a 70 would let you keep that offer. My marks are also bad in first semester, so I am also hoping in second semester to boost up my average =D!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of briannajchan briannajchan
While I still haven't received any conditional offerings even at the moment, some of my friends are in the same situation as yours. I think the school has accepted you have already made their decision and are just waiting for your final marks in order to process everything and tell you that you're 100% accepted into their school.
When you say you're worried about your final marks, I think the admissions panel has decided to accept you upon seeing your marks that were submitted before and are already satisfied with them. They judge you like how they do to the past admitted students. Normally the averages in every term are quite similar in one academic year unless you were involved in an accident or something that made you unable to complete courses in high school. So it you keep up the effort you were doing before I think you'll be fine.
From my friends in the past who were given a conditional offering, all of them were admitted into that school. So chances are you will most likely get in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0