yconic - Conditional Offers
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Conditional Offers

A photo of Bobby55 Bobby55
Hi guys, I have a question about conditional offers. If they tell you to have a 78% average, do they only want that for the required courses for the program, or for all of second semester. Because i have already completed my required courses, and already have 6 4U credits; and I don't really need any of my credits from this year (because of summer school, and fast tracking :D). And I'm mainly wondering about this for McMaster and Waterloo.

Thanks,

Bobby
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of JRT JRT
Hi Bobby,

Conditional offers asking you to maintain a 78% average is most likely referring to the required courses that are necessary for your program choice.
Seeing as you've already completed your required courses, and don't need any more credits...
In my opinion, I think it's best to take the courses anyways just to be on the safe side.
You can always call the admission office and ask for further information.

Congrats on your acceptance :D
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GaganS GaganS

@JRT wrote
Hi Bobby,

Conditional offers asking you to maintain a 78% average is most likely referring to the required courses that are necessary for your program choice.
Seeing as you've already completed your required courses, and don't need any more credits...
In my opinion, I think it's best to take the courses anyways just to be on the safe side.
You can always call the admission office and ask for further information.

Congrats on your acceptance :D

Is that for all universities?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of JRT JRT
Hi Gagan,

Conditional offers for different Universities and different programs have different conditions.
Some programs may require you to hold a 80% average or higher, while others may only ask for 70%.
As far as I know, they only require you to keep the 'required courses' for the program in that grade range. All other additional courses (other than your top 6) aren't looked at, unless they specify that they do look at them.

For example, my chemical engineering offer requires me to uphold an 80% above overall average in my top 6 required courses. They mention nothing about the other courses.

Another thing to be careful of, is that 80% may be the overall average they want for your top 6 courses, but they may also mention keeping a 70% in each of your top-6 courses.

Let's say you have an 100% in calculus, but only 60% in English, and 80%+ in all your other top 6 courses. Sure the average may end up being 80% and higher, but one of your top 6 courses fell below their expectations, they can take their offer back because you don't meet the requirements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GaganS GaganS

@JRT wrote
Hi Gagan,

Conditional offers for different Universities and different programs have different conditions.
Some programs may require you to hold a 80% average or higher, while others may only ask for 70%.
As far as I know, they only require you to keep the 'required courses' for the program in that grade range. All other additional courses (other than your top 6) aren't looked at, unless they specify that they do look at them.

For example, my chemical engineering offer requires me to uphold an 80% above overall average in my top 6 required courses. They mention nothing about the other courses.

Another thing to be careful of, is that 80% may be the overall average they want for your top 6 courses, but they may also mention keeping a 70% in each of your top-6 courses.

Let's say you have an 100% in calculus, but only 60% in English, and 80%+ in all your other top 6 courses. Sure the average may end up being 80% and higher, but one of your top 6 courses fell below their expectations, they can take their offer back because you don't meet the requirements.

Okay, thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0