yconic - Confused :(
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Confused :(

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm wondering about a few schools for nursing.
For example: McGill has a 3 year nursing program, 4 years if you have yet to complete first year sciences.
When I apply, do I apply through sciences or nursing?
They have a high school minimum percentage for admissions example for 2011.

This confuses me because it seems like you can apply for nursing and just be registered for first year sciences and then continue on your way to nursing after. Am I correct?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
To begin, most nursing programs are four year programs.

Why would you waste a year taking general sciences when you really dont have to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
On the McGill website it states that the Nursing program is 3 years.
The addition of the requirement to complete first year sciences would bump that number up to 4.
Therefore: Because I have to complete the sciences, do I apply for nursing or sciences?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
if you want to go into nursing, apply for nursing
don't apply for something else because it'll just add more confusion when changing programs later
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@vhsu wrote
On the McGill website it states that the Nursing program is 3 years.
The addition of the requirement to complete first year sciences would bump that number up to 4.
Therefore: Because I have to complete the sciences, do I apply for nursing or sciences?

I didn't say it wasn't, if it says its 3 years it's three year. I was just pointing out that most are 4 years in case that made you think most are three.
I'm on their website looking at admission requirements, and if your heart is set on McGill, yes you have to apply for sciences first, or thats's how it looks at least.
Personaly I still think that's a waste of time. If you know you want to be a nurse, take a nursing program thats still 4 years long, but all four is nursing related. To be totally honest, you don't seem to need the general chemistry/bio/physics beyond what is taught in high school.
You're not going to be a Dr (unless you wanna do that after, in which case I advise you not to plan on that; that was my original plan until I realized I had to take a screw ton of extra courses to do that); essentially nobody is going to care if you know the exact chemistry behind something. Granted you should have an idea (that's what high school is for), they're more going to care about your personal skills, communication, etc. Doctors treat the disease, nurses treat the patient.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kyleigh711 kyleigh711
Personally, I would suggest calling the school to ask. I got the impression that you just apply for nursing but I could be wrong.

Also, the reason the program is only 3 years (like most programs in Quebec) is that the Quebec school system has two years of CEGEP, meaning that the students from Quebec who are in this program will have an extra year of science background than someone coming from grade 12. The first year nursing courses will assume you have this knowledge, so they offer the four year program for out-of-province students so that they aren't behind. That being said, you will cover all the same material as any four year nursing program elsewhere, you just may do it in a different order.
Was this helpful? Yes 0