yconic - Confused about Laurier BBA concentration/minor
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Confused about Laurier BBA concentration/minor

A photo of SMLSML SMLSML
Hi there,

I was just wondering at what point and how do we have to choose our concentration for Laurier BBA? It must affect what courses to choose now in year 1 (which I am going into this fall). Also, how/when do we pick a minor? Again, it must affect what courses we choose now! I have been looking everywhere online, and I can't find an answer. Need to know before I start picking my courses!
Thanks, much appreciated
Was this helpful? Yes 0
8 replies

A photo of North North

@SMLSML wrote
Hi there,

I was just wondering at what point and how do we have to choose our concentration for Laurier BBA? It must affect what courses to choose now in year 1 (which I am going into this fall). Also, how/when do we pick a minor? Again, it must affect what courses we choose now! I have been looking everywhere online, and I can't find an answer. Need to know before I start picking my courses!
Thanks, much appreciated

BBA Concentrations aren't until 3rd or 4th year (can't remember which but I am almost positive it's 4th year) The concentrations only require 4 business courses. Required courses are listed here - http://www.wlu.ca/calendars/program.php?cal=1&d=709&p=1349&s=310&y=37

You also don't need to pick a minor or concentration.

A minor is just a set of related courses in a different subject area than your major. The requirements depend on the minor. Below is the specific information for BBA students regarding cureses. But you will need to follow the links to figure out what courses based on which minor you're interested in.
http://www.wlu.ca/calendars/program.php?cal=1&d=709&p=1350&s=310&y=37

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster
There are two things t oworry about when picking courses:

1) Are you wanting to do a minor in something?

Cuz then you will need to take the advanced French if you want to do a French minor, w/e you get the point

2) Are you wanting to do advanced math later (such as financial math)?

Cuz then you will need to take MA103/MA110 instead of just MA129
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@thecookiemonster wrote

Cuz then you will need to take the advanced French if you want to do a French minor, w/e you get the point

You have 4 years to complete a minor though, so I'm only taking FR230 and not 231, but I'm pretty sure I can still minor (take 231 next year) if I want. How many courses are required for a minor in French though?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of thecookiemonster thecookiemonster

@Username81 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

You have 4 years to complete a minor though, so I'm only taking FR230 and not 231, but I'm pretty sure I can still minor (take 231 next year) if I want. How many courses are required for a minor in French though?

lol don't ask me

just in general if you want to minor in something taking it in first year is a very good idea
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@thecookiemonster wrote

@Username81 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

lol don't ask me

just in general if you want to minor in something taking it in first year is a very good idea

Yeah that's true. I can't though because FR231 is in the same time as MA270 (financial math). My business courses are more important to me than a minor in French haha
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SMLSML SMLSML
thanks guys
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sarahneeb sarahneeb

@Username81 wrote

@thecookiemonster wrote

[size=7]It's three credits to complete a normal minor, so a normal course is usually worth .05 so one course each sem for three years[/size]
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CatRunner CatRunner

@Username81 wrote

If Laurier is like most universities, you should be able to find out exactly which courses are required for a minor in the university calendar. Once you see which courses are required, you can plan when to take them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0