yconic - Confused about the responsed I recieved from UBC
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Confused about the responsed I recieved from UBC

A photo of QOTSA QOTSA
On April 20 UBC sent out admissions and some of my friends received online acceptances for UBC Vancouver Sciences, which was awesome. They had averages of 92% and 91% without supplemental applications. Myself on the other hand, as well as my other friend, received a different message. Mine said they were interested and wanted to look at other documents like my supplemental. Both my friend and I recieved that message and both of us sent in the supplemental. I have an average of 90.5% and my friend 92%. So i understand why they want to look further into mine since that .5% could have been cutoff but why my friend with 92%?

Also does anyone know when i will receive an answer from them? and do i have a good chance with a 90.5% average?

Thanks for the help
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
What exactly was the message that UBC sent you about being "interested"?
I have never heard of ANYONE getting this message before...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Cuiter23 Cuiter23

@cyynthiia wrote
What exactly was the message that UBC sent you about being "interested"?
I have never heard of ANYONE getting this message before...

Well Cynthia I got that message as well it said that they were interested in reviewing the additional supplementary application I have given when I replied and that they will notify me of their desicon by email
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh okay that makes sense, I thought the OP meant that UBC asked them to write the supp on the spot right then and there when they got that message.
Just be patient then.. a few of my friends got it too so I'm sure you'll get one too.
No way you won't get in with a 92 or 90.5
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QOTSA QOTSA
Sorry if I wrote it confusingly, Cuiter23 is right and that is what I meant to say. I am just extremely worried, along with many other people I'm sure, that my 90.5% won't be enough since the cut-off last year was 92%. Also do they have a deadline on when they have to send out conditional acceptances? Furthermore, with a conditional acceptances do I have to keep that mark? Because I have heard people say with conditional acceptances all you need is to pass or get at least a 64% in all your classes so which is true?

Thanks again for the help
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QOTSA wrote
Sorry if I wrote it confusingly, Cuiter23 is right and that is what I meant to say. I am just extremely worried, along with many other people I'm sure, that my 90.5% won't be enough since the cut-off last year was 92%. Also do they have a deadline on when they have to send out conditional acceptances? Furthermore, with a conditional acceptances do I have to keep that mark? Because I have heard people say with conditional acceptances all you need is to pass or get at least a 64% in all your classes so which is true?

Thanks again for the help

I think conditional is 67%+. 90.5 shouldn't be a problem. Some people I saw got in out of province already with 87, 88 , 89 etc (Don't know if its true or not, afterall its the forums). Just wait I believe with 90.5 you'll get in really soon.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QOTSA QOTSA
Did those people in and out of the province send in the supplemental?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@QOTSA wrote
Did those people in and out of the province send in the supplemental?

I believe so, I just PM'ed one of them. I'll update you as soon as they respond to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QOTSA QOTSA
Thank You Cuiter23 for trying and put my worries at ease. I just wanted to know because it seems like if you sent in your supplemental then it takes them longer to decide for some reason. I thought they only look at your supplemental if your grades are too low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

The supplemental is only for those who live in BC, I do believe.
I can't be sure though, kinda forgot if I read it somewhere or not.
The 92 cut-off is only for those who want to get accepted the first day acceptances come out.. so on Wednesday.
With a 90.5.. you'll definitely get in.. in the next little while.
I wouldn't have anything to worry about.
I heard from a friend that her friend with an 89 got in already.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KarZ KarZ
Take this with a grain of salt, for I don't know how reliable this information is.

My friend's father is a professor at UBC. A friend of his father works at admissions in UBC. Supposedly, they take the marks you self report, and put them into an algorithm to alter them slightly. As in, a 90% from UHill would not be judged the same as a 90% from Britannia. That's the only reason I can think of why your friend needed to have his supplemental reviewed with a 92%. I was accepted on the first day with a 91.5% average, Lord Byng

Regardless, you'll get in, it's just a matter of how long now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QOTSA QOTSA

@KarZ wrote
Take this with a grain of salt, for I don't know how reliable this information is.

My friend's father is a professor at UBC. A friend of his father works at admissions in UBC. Supposedly, they take the marks you self report, and put them into an algorithm to alter them slightly. As in, a 90% from UHill would not be judged the same as a 90% from Britannia. That's the only reason I can think of why your friend needed to have his supplemental reviewed with a 92%. I was accepted on the first day with a 91.5% average, Lord Byng

Regardless, you'll get in, it's just a matter of how long now.

Well we all go to the same school and I guess if the algorithm thing is true then are grades would be altered the same. The only fear I have right now is they use the wrong grades to calculate my average because one of my science marks is lower than the 2 I want them to use but that is a slim chance anyways.
Was this helpful? Yes 0