yconic - Consulting - Queen's V.S. Ivey
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Consulting - Queen's V.S. Ivey

A photo of NoToRiouSDIP NoToRiouSDIP
Which one's better, (in terms of placements and education), and why
Was this helpful? Yes 0
19 replies

A photo of scribbles scribbles
Ivey is stronger in IB and consulting, whereas Queen's is stronger in marketing.
At least, this is what I've heard from others, I can't give you a reason why.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoBarca GoBarca

@NoToRiouSDIP wrote

dont really know about placement in consulting..

in terms of the quality of education, what you will learn from ivey/queens/mcgill/schulich/rotman etc. is pretty much the same .. its all about gpa, career services, alumni network ...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
I'd assume that Ivey has a slight advantage in education because of their case method. But I'm not sure about placement.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
In terms of the programs themselves I'd say they're fairly equal in strength; you can't really go wrong with either one.

It will boil down to preference: Do you want to study something different for your first two years? If not, then Queen's has the advantage as being in a business environment and getting exposed to networking events, conferences and the like for all four years can be highly beneficial for consulting hopefuls.

This is of course assuming you like both environments equally, because, as previously mentioned, the programs don't have any notable advantages over each other so it isn't necessary to compromise.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of goldmansachs goldmansachs

@NoToRiouSDIP wrote

Placements wise, Ivey is certainly better. In terms of education in depends on what kind of teaching style you prefer as you already know the lecture base and cased base teaching difference between the two. They are both very close, both have enough networking opportunities and recruiters but Ivey in the past done a bit better.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx
Take a look for yourself:

Queens Career Report: http://business.queensu.ca/ConversionDocs/commerce_annual_report.pdf
Iveys Career Report: http://www.ivey.uwo.ca/recruiter/documents/IveyHBA_2009-2010_Employment_Report.pdf

Ivey's 14% >>>9% not to mention Ivey's class size is much larger.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
Well its 14% got offers, not all of them went into consulting, 9% of queens actually went into consulting. Secondly, all the major firms go to both and i think we have on multiple occasions concluded that both schools are equal ( if you cant get that job from one its not likely you'll get it at another).Using other factors such as salary are a bit sketchy, its important to note that the methodology that the data was complied can matter a lot. For example ivey included compensations and bonuses in its values. Further more if you get a weighted average of the salaries of every industry with ivey's info you get a value of around 54k which isnt the same as its 61k quoted average. This could mean they added the average bonus onto the average base salary which doesn't really apply because not all industries give you a bonus. So when looking at numbers be aware that methodology matters. This applies to all schools.

The case method is very good for training consultants, and the classes that people take at queens to pursue consulting are very case based. Few things i can tell you at queens in regards to consulting is that we have the Queens Consulting association which i am an executive for this year. We help you prepare for consulting interviews and set up networking events. Another interesting thing is all the case competitions we offer for you to take part in such as Q3C which has all the major consulting firms as sponsors. Thirdly we have a class in upper years known ad Queens Business consulting. Instead of doing simulations and cases, you work as a real consultant for small and medium size businesses.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of illuminati illuminati

@QCman wrote
Well its 14% got offers, not all of them went into consulting, 9% of queens actually went into consulting. Secondly, all the major firms go to both and i think we have on multiple occasions concluded that both schools are equal ( if you cant get that job from one its not likely you'll get it at another).Using other factors such as salary are a bit sketchy, its important to note that the methodology that the data was complied can matter a lot. For example ivey included compensations and bonuses in its values. Further more if you get a weighted average of the salaries of every industry with ivey's info you get a value of around 54k which isnt the same as its 61k quoted average. This could mean they added the average bonus onto the average base salary which doesn't really apply because not all industries give you a bonus. So when looking at numbers be aware that methodology matters. This applies to all schools.

The case method is very good for training consultants, and the classes that people take at queens to pursue consulting are very case based. Few things i can tell you at queens in regards to consulting is that we have the Queens Consulting association which i am an executive for this year. We help you prepare for consulting interviews and set up networking events. Another interesting thing is all the case competitions we offer for you to take part in such as Q3C which has all the major consulting firms as sponsors. Thirdly we have a class in upper years known ad Queens Business consulting. Instead of doing simulations and cases, you work as a real consultant for small and medium size businesses.

Since all of the offers add up to 100%, it assumes that these offers include ones that they've taken or that they are about to accept (survey performed 3-5 months after graduation at a time where offers are still being sent out). Think of it this way, if Ivey students were to receive offers from multiple industries, then you'd have the sum of all the percentages being a lot greater than 100%, which isn't the case here.

I do agree with you though that the salary figures are a bit skewed as they include bonuses and other compensations whereas with Queen's avg salaries are measured with just the base salary. Despite that fact, Queen's consulting avg salary is 4K higher than Ivey's though it's interesting to note that Ivey's number ($60,512) is exactly the same for both the industry and functional survey though their placements percentages are different (14% and 16% respectively).

I, too, also have an interest in pursuing a career in management consulting and from my extensive research, I concluded that the opportunities from both schools are about equal and that personal preferences (campus life, location, program structure, etc.) will be all that matters. I really think you can't go wrong with either schools. My advice for those that are still undecided is to visit both schools (if you can) and talk with the students there. Do research into their clubs and conferences. Salary reports don't paint a complete picture so I don't think it would be a good idea to make your decisions based solely on those figures.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman

@illuminati wrote

Since all of the offers add up to 100%, it assumes that these offers include ones that they've taken or that they are about to accept (survey performed 3-5 months after graduation at a time where offers are still being sent out). Think of it this way, if Ivey students were to receive offers from multiple industries, then you'd have the sum of all the percentages being a lot greater than 100%, which isn't the case here.

Thats not true. 14% of all offers were from consulting, the total number of offers will give a percentage that adds up to 100% because you're taking a proportion out of all offers . There might have been 450 graduating students but there would be many more offers. 14% of all offers may have been for consulting but for all you know one student may have gotten 4 consulting offers them selfs. Some IB bound students may have a consulting offer that they got but did not accept because they got a job at Goldman Sachs. In all liklyhood, even though 14% of offers are from consulting, less than 14% would have gone into that industry because some offers would have been rejected.

If Ivey was doing the percentage in the way you were thinking they would have probably wanted to be a bit more clear by saying % placement. But because they say % of offers it means that (for example) out of all 800 offers that were given to ivey students 112 were from consulting companies. And if those 112 were distributed between 30 students then out of a graduating class of 450, only around 7% went into consulting.And of course you have to take into account the number of the 450 who weren't looking for a job due to postponing job search or continuing education as well the students who did not respond.

Stats can be tricky to understand and easy to skew to confuse people.Stats is all about being able to properly analyze the numbers not do a Z test to 99% confidence and number crunch till you get some answer that has no managerial meaning, you got to put it into English and see what the numbers say. Im not saying my analysis is perfectly accurate but thats how it looks to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
oh btw, i am also very interested in going into MC, I am part of the Queen's Consulting association and if you have any questions regarding consulting dont hesitate to ask and i encourage you all to read through this website for further details http://managementconsulted.com/

Im done first year and will be free till the end of may to talk.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NoToRiouSDIP NoToRiouSDIP
Fantastic. :colors:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of fullforceRC fullforceRC

@QCman wrote
oh btw, i am also very interested in going into MC, I am part of the Queen's Consulting association and if you have any questions regarding consulting dont hesitate to ask and i encourage you all to read through this website for further details http://managementconsulted.com/

Im done first year and will be free till the end of may to talk.

I'm very impressed with your results for securing yourself an executive position on the Queen's Consulting Association in your very first year. Did you have prior knowledge to consulting in general? I'd like to explore this field in future years but honestly have close to no experience in consulting. How do you suggest I prepare myself for this field?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of QCman QCman
Well there are executive hiring for all conferences, associations etc at queens in march. You have to go for as many interviews as possible. Admittedly, i also tried to get the co-chair position on QCA, which i didnt get as expected. I did do my research on consulting and had a it of exposure form my family to the industry. This year only 2 1st years got a spot on QCA but read up on the industry, show your passions for it in the interview and hope that you get a spot.

and read that link i posted, it provided me with a lot of info.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of illuminati illuminati

@QCman wrote

@illuminati wrote

Thats not true. 14% of all offers were from consulting, the total number of offers will give a percentage that adds up to 100% because you're taking a proportion out of all offers . There might have been 450 graduating students but there would be many more offers. 14% of all offers may have been for consulting but for all you know one student may have gotten 4 consulting offers them selfs. Some IB bound students may have a consulting offer that they got but did not accept because they got a job at Goldman Sachs. In all liklyhood, even though 14% of offers are from consulting, less than 14% would have gone into that industry because some offers would have been rejected.

If Ivey was doing the percentage in the way you were thinking they would have probably wanted to be a bit more clear by saying % placement. But because they say % of offers it means that (for example) out of all 800 offers that were given to ivey students 112 were from consulting companies. And if those 112 were distributed between 30 students then out of a graduating class of 450, only around 7% went into consulting.And of course you have to take into account the number of the 450 who weren't looking for a job due to postponing job search or continuing education as well the students who did not respond.

Stats can be tricky to understand and easy to skew to confuse people.Stats is all about being able to properly analyze the numbers not do a Z test to 99% confidence and number crunch till you get some answer that has no managerial meaning, you got to put it into English and see what the numbers say. Im not saying my analysis is perfectly accurate but thats how it looks to me.

The same could be true if you were to reverse the scenario. An Ivey grad might turn down an offer from Goldman Sachs to accept a job in the consulting sector. We can only speculate as to which industry is favoured more by Ivey grads. I understand where you're coming from: the number of accepted offers in consulting < number of total offers in consulting, but that would also be the case for marketing, accounting, finance, consulting, etc. What I want to focus on is the ratio or proportion. You might be right for several Ivey students, but as to whether that is truly the case for most Ivey business grads is very questionable. Any business grad is likely to be given far more finance job offers compared to consulting offers. Who's to say they'll accept a job at Goldman Sachs if it's likely that a particular grad would covet a consulting offer with McKinsey? So even if you are true that it's the total offers that they've collected, which I don't think is the case, it still wouldn't greatly affect the percentage for Ivey consulting placements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Tunnel Tunnel
As a recent Ivey HBA graduate (Class of 2011), I can shed some light on the subject:

-The on-campus recruitment opportunities you'll get at Queens vs Ivey are pretty much the same. M/B/B as well as Deloitte Consulting, O-W, Monitor, Accenture etc will recruit at both Ivey and Queens, primarily for Toronto offices. You're not missing out by going to one school vs the other. However, due to the huge alumni network, Ivey gets some additional random firms recruiting like Booz Allen Hamilton for their Dubai office or Roland Berger for their Detroit/Chicago offices.

-I'd say that Ivey has a slight edge in placement however. For example, the dual degree Engineering/HBA kids absolute dominate both consulting and banking placements. Bain for example, loves engineering kids and their Toronto office has several Ivey/Engineering as well as Queens Engineering grads.

-Consulting, at least at Ivey, is super competitive to get. Definitely more competitive than getting ibanking, especially if you want MBB. I think for summer, like ~10-20 Ivey students will get management consulting internships, whereas for fulltime it might be ~20-30 students. For banking, maybe ~20-30 will get it for summer, and ~40 after fulltime. Numbers obviously fluctuate year to year.

-Most students don't really aim for both consulting and banking, as the interview prep etc is so different in nature and both require a lot of time. It sometimes happens where some people will aim for both and get offers at both banks and consulting firms, but its pretty rare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
I strongly recommend that everyone go to Ivey because I need a spot to open up at Queen's.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of Noval Noval
Going to either won't hurt your future,

Getting IB or Consulting is all about networking your ass off than being a complete elitist gunner like how half Ivey students i see are recommending.

Sure grades are important, but it's barely enough to secure interviews if you don't know anybody, but the best networker will win against the best student, it's just a matter of time.

Once you get that interview, it won't come down to who worked the hardest but to who the interviewer likes better.

That's also the same thing with Med School MMIs where you see students with 4.0 GPAs and 43 MCAT Score getting ditched in interviews because they are complete nerds with no social ability.
Was this helpful? Yes 0