yconic - Controversy: Ryerson vs UOIT vs Trent vs Guelph-Humber vs BMOS vs BAS
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Controversy: Ryerson vs UOIT vs Trent vs Guelph-Humber vs BMOS vs BAS

A photo of Aware Aware
This is a re-post under a broader heading.

Agree that the Hons BBA and BCOM are comporable. York Schulich, Western Ivey have HBBA (like Trent and Laurier) and Queens has a BCom (like Ryerson or UOIT). What's absurd are degrees such as BAS (York Atkinson) and BMOS (Western NON-Ivey). Employers don't understand them and they are unique to Ontario.

Ryerson is a commuter school with a downtown TO look and feel. I, personally do not like that. Also, the Business School at Ryerson is in 1 building away from the main campus. Students hang out all day "camped" waiting for the next class. Its like a college feel. Trent is a "campus". Students may move from Library to class to Rez to the gym, etc. This does NOT happen at Ryerson.

Toronto is busy and commuter capital; Peterborough, Kingston or London are nice (nice University Towns). Oshawa is in between.

NOT offering program flexibility is a MAJOR negative at Ryerson, UOIT, Guelph-Humber, etc. The "great" programs at Schulich, Queens, Rotman, McMaster, Laurier, Western, etc are ALL part of a larger University and the Business Students can take anywhere from 60 - 100% of their courses in Business. The point is that they can explore other options, take "double majors", do a "minor", etc. Ryerson, does NOT give you any flexibility.

The Globe and Mail Survey lists York, UoT, Quebec, Windsor and Ryerson NOT very highly in terms of student satisfaction. Guess what...they are commuter schools. In terms of the Macleans rating, under the "Primairly Undergraduate" Schools, you see that Ryerson is ranked 17/22, Brock 14/22, UOIT 13/22, Trent 6/22 and Laurier the highest at 5/22 (the higher ones are outside of Ontario). Of course, this is just 1 scale, but its worth noting.

In terms of attracting the best students: face it, the best students in the TO area (who want to stay in TO) would choose York Schulich or UofT Rotman. "Secondary" Schools would include: Guelph-Humber, Ryerson and UOIT. Note that these schools ALL have a prescribed business program with virtually NO electives!!! This is very bad from many perspectives, expecially if you decide later that Business is not for you and you have no transferable creidts to any other program.

"Secondary" Schools outside of Toronto would include Trent, Laurier, Guelph and Brock.
Trent has the benefit of a small and pretty campus with significant program flexibility. At Trent then you can get a HBBA with a Minor in Computing, or an HBBA with a Minor in Psychology, or just an HBBA in Marketing or Finance. Laurier offers "specializations" in Marketing, Accounting, Finance, etc. True, though, that Trent does not have as broad a course selection as some of the largest schools - but then neither does Brock, UOIT, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of g93 g93
Have you had a post that doesn't mention something good about Trent?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imback imback

@Aware wrote

Agree that the Hons BBA and BCOM are comporable. York Schulich, Western Ivey have HBBA (like Trent and Laurier) and Queens has a BCom (like Ryerson or UOIT). What's absurd are degrees such as BAS (York Atkinson) and BMOS (Western NON-Ivey). Employers don't understand them and they are unique to Ontario.

Ryerson is a commuter school with a downtown TO look and feel. I, personally do not like that. Also, the Business School at Ryerson is in 1 building away from the main campus. Students hang out all day "camped" waiting for the next class. Its like a college feel. Trent is a "campus". Students may move from Library to class to Rez to the gym, etc. This does NOT happen at Ryerson.

Toronto is busy and commuter capital; Peterborough, Kingston or London are nice (nice University Towns). Oshawa is in between.

NOT offering program flexibility is a MAJOR negative at Ryerson, UOIT, Guelph-Humber, etc. The "great" programs at Schulich, Queens, Rotman, McMaster, Laurier, Western, etc are ALL part of a larger University and the Business Students can take anywhere from 60 - 100% of their courses in Business. The point is that they can explore other options, take "double majors", do a "minor", etc. Ryerson, does NOT give you any flexibility.

The Globe and Mail Survey lists York, UoT, Quebec, Windsor and Ryerson NOT very highly in terms of student satisfaction. Guess what...they are commuter schools. In terms of the Macleans rating, under the "Primairly Undergraduate" Schools, you see that Ryerson is ranked 17/22, Brock 14/22, UOIT 13/22, Trent 6/22 and Laurier the highest at 5/22 (the higher ones are outside of Ontario). Of course, this is just 1 scale, but its worth noting.

In terms of attracting the best students: face it, the best students in the TO area (who want to stay in TO) would choose York Schulich or UofT Rotman. "Secondary" Schools would include: Guelph-Humber, Ryerson and UOIT. Note that these schools ALL have a prescribed business program with virtually NO electives!!! This is very bad from many perspectives, expecially if you decide later that Business is not for you and you have no transferable creidts to any other program.

"Secondary" Schools outside of Toronto would include Trent, Laurier, Guelph and Brock.
Trent has the benefit of a small and pretty campus with significant program flexibility. At Trent then you can get a HBBA with a Minor in Computing, or an HBBA with a Minor in Psychology, or just an HBBA in Marketing or Finance. Laurier offers "specializations" in Marketing, Accounting, Finance, etc. True, though, that Trent does not have as broad a course selection as some of the largest schools - but then neither does Brock, UOIT, etc.

Congrats, have fun getting a job after going to uoit or trent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@imback wrote

@Aware wrote

I do actually want to point out that Trent has a really high job placement rate after 6 months. They sent a letter with my acceptance package that listed the % for each faculty and business was in the 90s (i want to say "high 90s" but Im just not positive so Ill place it safe, ill have to take another look sometime).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of imback imback

@Doorhandle wrote

@imback wrote

@Aware wrote

I do actually want to point out that Trent has a really high job placement rate after 6 months. They sent a letter with my acceptance package that listed the % for each faculty and business was in the 90s (i want to say "high 90s" but Im just not positive so Ill place it safe, ill have to take another look sometime).

all i said was have fun finding a job. I meant it in a good way. See how easily the context of something said on these forums can be taken out of hand. PLease, this is a safety advisory to everyone: BE CLEAR AND CONCISE IN TERMS OF WHAT YOU POST HERE. good day everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Doorhandle wrote

Although that could mean that 90% of the people at Trent got a job at McDonald's within 6 months.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoodStuff GoodStuff
yea, I like Trent too...and the points are well made

I thought that the number graduating with jobs within 6 months is 95% - but who cares, that's what they all say - so the good news is that they all say the same thing - so Trent, Brock, Laurier, etc all have the same track-record

Agree with Trent about the campus and flexible program. Not sure why anyonw would chose Ryerson, UOIT, Guelph-Humber, etc
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
I've never heard of Trent until now.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Doorhandle Doorhandle

@g93 wrote

@Doorhandle wrote

Although that could mean that 90% of the people at Trent got a job at McDonald's within 6 months.

McDonald's has amazing benefits brah, and you'll be the most popular guy around, you can give free food to friends and take your dates there!

Have you had a post that doesn't mention something good about Trent?

Agreed with this too.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of GoodStuff GoodStuff
I think all Bsiness schools in Ontario are good, and some more "suited" to some people versus others
Was this helpful? Yes 1