yconic - Co-op @ Mac
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Co-op @ Mac

A photo of StellaSparx StellaSparx
OMG!

So I just found out that you can start co-op after completing first year at Mac for engineering! And you can complete 24 months of co-op for 4 year programs and 28 months of co-op for 5 year programs - which is the same amount or more as UW's co-op!

The only downside is that UW's co-op will still be superior and that I'll be graduating after fall term (instead of winter term). But I think it won't be a big deal cause I'm good with interviews and I'll still graduate with my friends.

Well I think this made my decision between Mac and UW! Now time to convince my parents...

Here's the link:

http://www.eng.mcmaster.ca/eccs/Coopstudents/BEng_cycles.html

Lol, I'm really excited about this cause I thought the maximum was 16 months of co-op and that it starts in 3rd year :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

LOL! I like how I'm talking as if I got into UW, prob won't even get in :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Lol you're cute, congratz on the decision! Hopefully your parents will be respectful of your decision. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xAnthonyLeong xAnthonyLeong
I heard if you don't get a 70% avg first year, you wont get your first choice in what engineering you want?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of computerengineer computerengineer
May I know your average and maybe if your specific marks, if you are kind enough to post them.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MrSparkles wrote
Lol you're cute, congratz on the decision! Hopefully your parents will be respectful of your decision. :)

Omg Stephen, don't call me cute on here, text me or fb me! And it's still 70% Mac and 30% UW

@xAnthonyLeong wrote
I heard if you don't get a 70% avg first year, you wont get your first choice in what engineering you want?

Really??

@computerengineer wrote
May I know your average and maybe if your specific marks, if you are kind enough to post them.

Hahah, I've posted them like a hundred times on here :P http://www.studentawards.com/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=11971
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ninetyfour ninetyfour

@xAnthonyLeong wrote

The engineering programs at McMaster are competitive at the Level II entry meaning yes, you won't necessarily get your first choice (unless you received Free Choice with your admission). I don't know if there's a specific average you have to maintain, I'm just assuming that you should keep it as high as you can to guarantee entry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike

@xAnthonyLeong wrote

Most of the cut-offs are incredibly speculative since the admissions office doesn't release lists year to year since it varies so much. This year mech eng for example you'll need about a 75% if you want to get in, (or so i've heard, because even that is just hearsay haha).

You need a 60 to stay in the program, and depending on the popularity of which second year stream you want to go into it could be anywhere from a 60-75% for your first choice.

With that said, yes you'll need to work hard if you want to get into a popular stream, but it certainly isn't impossible to have grades in the 70s-80s (very difficult, but not impossible)
Was this helpful? Yes 0