yconic - Co-op Experience vs Reputable university
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Co-op Experience vs Reputable university

A photo of JohnEwards18 JohnEwards18
Hi, I am currently studying computer science at Brock University, I am in the coop program.

I was thinking about switching into University of Toronto (St. George) for computer science, I have applied for it and my current average is about 86% and I am hoping to maintain by the end of the term.

I'm not quite sure whether I should stay in the co-op program as it would led be a better job post graduation or transfer as a reputable university would get be a better job in the future.

I just wanted to hear some thoughts towards this as I have laid out my own arguments on both sides, but wanted to hear from other perspectives as it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
12 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
Experience trumps reputation every time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
My tutor did his double major in Math and Computer Science Co-op from Brock and this guy isn't dumb, the school you go to doesn't reflect your intelligence. He now works for one of the major banks in Canada and earns a killer salary just with his undergraduate degree.

Don't get too caught up with prestige!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS
Experience is important if you plan to go to work after university.
Prestige is important if your plan to go to grad school and work in research.
It all depends on the path you want to take.

Also, I wouldn't say u of t compsci is very prestigious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I will note that experience comes into play when you apply for grad school too. Research experience, I mean. Some of the smaller, less reputable schools, are easier to get quality research positions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@LindaS wrote

lolwut?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
I've been waiting for so long to come across someone studying computer science at Brock on these board, I know this isn't what you're looking but I have a few questions about the program if you don't mind.

What year are you currently in and makes you want to transfer to UofT?
Do you like the program?
Have you had any co-op experience yet? How is it?
How's the difficulty of the program? Compared to grade 12?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@madox wrote

@LindaS wrote

lolwut?

What I meant is that the people there didn't seem that snobby.
I'm not discrediting U of T compsci's reputation, I think it's the best in Canada.
I'm just saying that if prestige is the only thing you're going for, then you would to to one of the top 10 unis:
http://www.university-list.net/rank/univ-110057.html
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KingKhan KingKhan
^According to that list, UofT is more prestigious than Harvard? Lol okay..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KingKhan wrote
I've been waiting for so long to come across someone studying computer science at Brock on these board, I know this isn't what you're looking but I have a few questions about the program if you don't mind.

What year are you currently in and makes you want to transfer to UofT?
Do you like the program?
Have you had any co-op experience yet? How is it?
How's the difficulty of the program? Compared to grade 12?

Thanks!

I am first year student (Comp Sci Co-op Honors). I've thought about transferring to UofT since its been ranked about 16th in the world and I've heard a lot about it. Its also closer to home so I won't have to pay for residence.

Computer Science at Brock is great. I like the program since it offers Co-op but I don't have a strong opinion yet since I'm only first year. The first year is generally easy if you have taken grade 12 computer science where you have done up-to and including objects and classes as well as doing assignments containing cases such as solving mazes. Assignments at Brock are challenging as they can take many hours to complete, but I've always done them on time and received great marks.

Last week, I attended a Co-op presentation where they had mentioned they usually only get about 20 people qualified for doing and attending coop which starts second year, second semester. For coop you must have a minimum major average of 70, and minimum non average of 65. I found it hard to believe that not many students manage to continue in coop. If you take the time and focus on your studies, obtaining a decent average shouldn't be difficult specially when you have background experience from grade 12 comp sci.

Depending on which professors you get, from the ones I've had for Comp Sci courses, they don't have office hours and TA's aren't that useful. For the math courses, most of my profs have office hours and they are of great help. I mostly study on my own, so I don't really depend on lectures for the material I grasp.

Again it really depends on the person, a person who has a good study routine should not have a problem. I hope this was some sort of help to you but do not only depend on what I say as different people have different perspectives.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LindaS wrote

I would agree with the experience, however prestige in terms of grad school won't matter for me as if I continuing in Computer Science at Brock and obtain a first/second class Honours degree, anywhere in the country should accept me for doing a Masters in Computer Science.

My general problem is, when you are competing for a job position in the industry after graduation, and they have all these applicants, how do they separate the ones they want from the ones they don't. I know that they will keep students with experience in a good pile however won't they also do the same for students who went to a prestigious school?

Its really about what weighs more but of-course there are other factors into play.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of madox madox

@LindaS wrote

@madox wrote

@LindaS wrote

lolwut?

What I meant is that the people there didn't seem that snobby.
I'm not discrediting U of T compsci's reputation, I think it's the best in Canada.
I'm just saying that if prestige is the only thing you're going for, then you would to to one of the top 10 unis:
http://www.university-list.net/rank/univ-110057.html

Just because the people at U of T weren't snobby doesn't mean its not a prestigious school. But I know what you mean...when I think of or see a harvard or yale student, they seem to come from a richer family and act better and such.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LindaS LindaS

@JohnEwards18 wrote

@LindaS wrote

I would agree with the experience, however prestige in terms of grad school won't matter for me as if I continuing in Computer Science at Brock and obtain a first/second class Honours degree, anywhere in the country should accept me for doing a Masters in Computer Science.

My general problem is, when you are competing for a job position in the industry after graduation, and they have all these applicants, how do they separate the ones they want from the ones they don't. I know that they will keep students with experience in a good pile however won't they also do the same for students who went to a prestigious school?

Its really about what weighs more but of-course there are other factors into play.

If you graduate with honors, then I'd like to think that would give your a great advantage. I also heard that it's really important to get a good reference because that will largely affect their decision. That way, I think you should go/or stay, where you can get a few profs to really like you, so they'll want to give a good reference.

I'm not sure about CS, but I know that for engineering, the curriculum is pretty much the same nationwide. I'm guessing that it's the same for CS...???
Was this helpful? Yes 0