yconic - Co-op Health Science @ Waterloo VS. Health Science @ Western
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Co-op Health Science @ Waterloo VS. Health Science @ Western

A photo of chocolate93 chocolate93
i got admission to co op health science at waterloo and health science at western.
I was just wondering if i could get someone's advice on which program to choose, or which one is a better program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of emotycka emotycka
Both programs are different and only you can decide whats right for you. I'm in Health Sci at Western. I love the atmosphere, the program, everything about Western, so I might be a little biased ;)The program is wonderful. Coming here was the best decision I ever made.

That being said, coop looks great on resumes/ grad school applications. Western does have practicum courses in Health Sci, but not until 3rd and 4th year.

If you can, visit both schools. Get a feel for them. maybe you'll like one more than another.
They both have their pros and cons. look at it this way, at least you have the choice, some people don't....
Was this helpful? Yes 0

what year are you in?
I have a question, at waterloo, they do 10 courses per year, is it the same at western? i forgot to ask when i called them
yeah i've been to western its amazinggggg! i love the atmosphere SO much better than waterloo

the co op is just throwing me off

do you know what you want to do after you finish ur bachelor?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yes, with engineering being the only exception I can think of, all undergraduate programs at all universities require that you take 10 courses, or 5.0 full-year course equivalents, a year to be a full-time student.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

oh okay thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aquarius aquarius
Hi chocolate93

If you don't mind me asking , what was your average ?

Another question is why would u say , co op is putting u off ? I'm in Grade 11 currently ,and looking into applying Co Op at Guelph or Waterloo .Don't u think u would have a better head start if u are in a co op program ? Or am I wrong in thinking Co Op gives u better advantage ?

Thanks

Was this helpful? Yes 0

hey! my average is 86 right now
the cut off this year was 83 and last year it was 83.5

i didnt mean putting off, i meant its a more difficult decision than it was before
well co op does give you an advantage but it all depends on IF you get a placement and what placement you do get
I mean co op would look great on your resume, if you were doing a valuable job. My mom is a recruiter and she said co op is only highly looked at, if the person wasn't doing more than a basic job. does that make sense?
My cousin has friends in waterloo's co op and she said that they have difficulty finding jobs and some of them ended up volunteering because they couldnt find anything. My cousin also observed that her friends found it difficult to get their resume ready, study for exams, get ready for an interview and hand out resumes

I just totally put down co op, but it isnt an entirely bad thing lol it just depends on how you look at it and what you want to do. For example, co op for engineering is easier to find andd that is why waterloo's co op rate is so high.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm going into my third year at Western. I'm taking an Honors Spec in Community Rural Health Development and have a second major in Sociology.

Coop at Waterloo sounds like a wonderful opportunity and I've heard it's a great program.

At Western, in Health Sci in particular, we actually have practicum courses that you have to take. As far as I know I need to take two minimum for my degree(one focusing on community development, one on health promotion/ healthcare setting) , but I also want to take the new global health promotion practicum being offered. There are more offered through the Health Sci department as well( I think there's one in the Rehab specialization, etc.) There are actually opportunities at University to get experience working in the real world even if you aren't taking a coop program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

that helps a lot! is a practicum done during the summer? how long is a practicum?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Usually for each Practicum course there are 2 classes(1.0 credit) that you need to take. The first semester is used to learn theory and set up your placement, the second half of the course is the actual on-site practicum. The on site practicum lasts for 3-4 months, like any other semester course.(Though this does differ, for example the international health practicum is concentrated into 6 weeks due to cost restraints. It takes place in May) You can take it during the practicum during the summer(many people like to take them between third and fourth), but as they are unpaid, people usually take them during the winter term. The specific conditions and marking scheme of the practicum are determined by you, the faculty supervisor, and the on site supervisor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

And after I graduate I plan on going to Law School (Hopefully at Delhousie, because they have a great health law Program, or maybe Ottawa, because of their constitutional law program) and hopefully eventually end up doing work with the WHO(World Health Organization). Many people in High School want other post grad jobs however(many people want to be doctors, PTs, OTs, speech-language therapists, audiologists, health promoters, dieticians, etc.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted