yconic - Could anyone tell me if I will get into these universities please?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Could anyone tell me if I will get into these universities please?

A photo of xoxshirls xoxshirls
I'm in grade 12 right now, and I'm going to apply to universities within the next 2 weeks or so. I had a 70.3% average, but I currently have a 69 average right now, really sucks. I had Data Management at the beginning of the semester, but I've always sucked at math, I dropped it close to midterm. I was always focusing on math instead of any other class, so here are my marks:

English: 61 Dropped after an essay (But I have a 68 in grade 12 summer school...)
World History: 70
Geography/World Issues: 76

*Also will the universities be looking at the higher mark for English? Or my current mark?

I want to apply to these universities:
UofT Scarborough - Political Science & Sociology
Wilfred Laurier - Psychology BA
York - Psychology BA
Ryerson - Social Work
York Glendon Campus - Psychology BA
McMaster - Social Sciences
Guelph - Social Sciences

I know my marks are horrible right now, but if I can manage to bring my average up to a 75% which of these universities will I be able to get into?

Was this helpful? Yes 0
3 replies

A photo of TheGirlSmiles TheGirlSmiles
You can get into McMaster for social sciences with mid-70s, but you'd be on the edge. I really suggest you aim for a higher average. You're still only half-way through the first semester, you can get that average up! Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of xoxshirls xoxshirls

@TheGirlSmiles wrote
You can get into McMaster for social sciences with mid-70s, but you'd be on the edge. I really suggest you aim for a higher average. You're still only half-way through the first semester, you can get that average up! Good luck!

Thank you! I was wondering what I would need to get into York for BA Psychology? :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I don't want to sound negative but marks in university drop and there will be a lot of heavy essays and writing requirements in the programs you are applying to. You should sit down and have a discussion with a guidance counsellor on which career path is most suitable towards you and where your strengths lie. Again, completely your decision but university is a lot of money and it would be a waste if you go and find out that you're not doing well. Upper year Psychology also has quite a bit of math in the form of statistics and some biology as well.

Guelph requires mid-high 70's, Mac mid-70's but it could be tough because quite a few people came with 90's myself included, UTSC mid-70's (again could be tough, depends on how many people apply), Laurier mid-high 70's, York mid-high 70's (although they accept a lot of people, psych is one of their best programs).

Just to be safe I would encourage you to apply to Ryerson and UOIT for social sciences which will guarantee you to get in with a 70. All universities will especially focus on your English mark and yours is very low.
Was this helpful? Yes 0