yconic - Couple of questions regarding u of t engineering
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Couple of questions regarding u of t engineering

A photo of sssk9797 sssk9797
First of all, I have been admitted to the faculty of engineering (track one) and I am quite nervous about u of t because of how hard it is, the sleepless nights that engineering students have to endure but i am sure that I will manage somehow. I have a couple of questions regarding u of t-

Q#1.) Is it possible to complete credits during the summer? Some of my friends have said that people actually complete their engineering degree in three years instead of the traditional 4 years that it takes to complete the bachelors of engineering. If it is would you recommend it?

Q#2.) Will I be able to find an engineering job in Toronto during my first summer break? (after 2 terms). I am asking this question because university of Waterloo students begin working after one term of studies so wouldn't it be possible for u of t engineering students to find jobs themselves while having more theoretical experience under their belt?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of TigerBlood TigerBlood
im not sure about the summer credit at uoft but chances of you finding a job after only 1st year are very SLIM. People at waterloo can get jobs after 1st year because waterloo has connections&networks and plus a first year student at waterloo wont necessarily get a job that applies to their stream; a mech eng student can end up working at rim&so on.

I am aware of people finding internship after 2nd year from uoft&ryerson but after 1st year HAHAHAHAHA GOOD LUCK
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
I feel like all engineering students exaggerate the difficulty, and U of T students especially exaggerate the difficulty. The amount they exaggerate will be inversely proportional to their grades.

If you know the right people it could be easy to find a summer job in the summer. It's all about networking. But obviously if you're taking summer courses you can't also have full-time summer job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of WaterfallOfDestiny WaterfallOfDestiny
1) No, U of T engineering does not offer summer courses other than the T-Program (which offers first-year Core 8 courses). Since you're in Track One, the only reason why you would ever take T-Program courses would be if you failed a course in your first year -so no fast-tracking an engineering degree at U of T.

2) It's possible, but you'll have to work hard to find those jobs. Most of my friends whom worked the summer after first year did research on campus, and many others did unpaid internships in research or development.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of RobDipp RobDipp
In terms of difficulty , I wouldn't say UofT is extremely hard. Its challenging and coming from a high-school environment it is definitely a culture shock. For example, coming into first year I had a 90 avg. My avg after first year? 72. Granted I slacked a little (everyone does)I learned more in first year then I did throughout all of high-school. University is a tremendous learning experience socially and mentally. It will change you , just stay focused :)

1) The only extra credits you can obtain are elective credits (CS & HSS) over the summer. UofT does not offer any technical courses (unless you failed one), so to answer your question, fast tracking is not possible at UofT.

2) As for jobs after first year, it is possible. I just finished my first year @ UofT and I was able to get a very well paying engineering job. But again its all about who you know. Despite my workplace being mainly electrical and mechanical(I'm CIV) I still have gained valuable experience.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Agreed. It's definitely going to be different, but don't but into the culture of "I have no life because I'm an engineer and my life sucks and everything is sooo hard!!!" of which there's definitely a large crowd.

Sure it's one of the more challenging majors, but just shut out the noise, go to class, do your homework and socialize whenever you can.

There are no summer courses unless you've failed, and I don't really think fast-tracking is an option.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of leighann leighann
hey, im thinking of applying for ut engineering, do you mind me asking your average? and did they calculate your average from your top 6 marks or from your required courses? thanks alot,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel

@leighann wrote
hey, im thinking of applying for ut engineering, do you mind me asking your average? and did they calculate your average from your top 6 marks or from your required courses? thanks alot,

http://cudo.utoronto.ca/2010/index.php

CTRL+F "Engineering" and see how you compare.
Was this helpful? Yes 0