yconic - Course schedules.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Course schedules.

A photo of Radiation Radiation
What do you think of my schedule? http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/redacted.jpg/

It took me a few times to get to this one, especially since most other times filled up pretty quickly and I had to drop one class (statistics).
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

94 views and not a single response? :/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dabunneh dabunneh
In terms of times your schedule looks pretty sweet considering all of your courses don't start until 10:00 am each morning, and your latest classes end at 5:00 pm. I have some classes that start at 8:00 am, and another class that doesn't end 'til 9:00 pm, so in comparison yours looks pretty well-balanced. Just be sure to have the materials for both your CSC (Chem?) and Physics, and Math and CSC on the days that they are scheduled back-to-back. If you are using binders I'd definitely recommend having your CSC and PHY courses in the same binder (with dividers).

Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dabunneh wrote
In terms of times your schedule looks pretty sweet considering all of your courses don't start until 10:00 am each morning, and your latest classes end at 5:00 pm. I have some classes that start at 8:00 am, and another class that doesn't end 'til 9:00 pm, so in comparison yours looks pretty well-balanced. Just be sure to have the materials for both your CSC (Chem?) and Physics, and Math and CSC on the days that they are scheduled back-to-back. If you are using binders I'd definitely recommend having your CSC and PHY courses in the same binder (with dividers).

But it takes me like 1.5 - 2 hours to reach campus by commuting everyday, so it would be quite impractical to take classes before 10 even if I wanted to. CSC = computer science, and I won't be using binders (prefer notebooks, they are easier to manage). Thanks for the advice, by the way.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dabunneh dabunneh
I didn't consider commuting since I'm on res starting in the fall- that was a bit ignorant of me. Definitely agree with your comment about managing notebooks (my binders looked horrendous all through high school). Good luck to you in the fall (or winter term...whenever your classes begin)^^
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Posting your schedule complete with locations? That's just asking for stalkers. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greygoose greygoose

@Radiation wrote
But it takes me like 1.5 - 2 hours to reach campus by commuting everyday, so it would be quite impractical to take classes before 10 even if I wanted to. CSC = computer science, and I won't be using binders (prefer notebooks, they are easier to manage). Thanks for the advice, by the way.

You are in a math/CS degree. You do not have the time to afford wasting 3-4 hours daily commuting. You must be living at home, going to school somewhere in Toronto to have this sort of problem? I can't imagine anywhere else in Canada with such a long commute, unless you were in a really rural area coming in to a city for studies.

I think you will find this very hard your first term. You should really consider finding a place closer to the university. No, it's not cheap, but what's the point of going to university if you can't focus all your effort on your schoolwork? That kind of time sink is going to seriously drain you, and if your grades suffer or you don't get as much out of your courses as you should, you're wasting the money paying for them.

If you are looking for a place in Toronto, find somewhere reasonably cheap, not too far, and on the TTC. If you can manage to go entirely by subway, you can probably reduce your commute to 30 minutes or less. Much, much more sustainable. Don't go through big housing corps, and don't consider living on the university, as both charge quite a bit more money than is reasonable. I found a place this term on craigslist that is both really nice and pretty damn cheap, and found housing for next term on Kijiji. Classified are going to be your best bet. Don't shy away from roommates, but don't put yourself in a student ghetto. What do you think?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

This post was deleted

A photo of kraken kraken
That's a really sh!tty commute, trust me. Rent a cheap place downtown. (with me perhaps? ugh i can't find a place, rage)

nice sig, lashes! Rape U is a great place. congrats.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
Posting your schedule complete with locations? That's just asking for stalkers. :P

Haha, nice catch. I edited my post. I wouldn't know why anyone would want to stalk a major nerd, but you can never be too sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@greygoose wrote

@Radiation wrote

You are in a math/CS degree. You do not have the time to afford wasting 3-4 hours daily commuting. You must be living at home, going to school somewhere in Toronto to have this sort of problem? I can't imagine anywhere else in Canada with such a long commute, unless you were in a really rural area coming in to a city for studies.

I think you will find this very hard your first term. You should really consider finding a place closer to the university. No, it's not cheap, but what's the point of going to university if you can't focus all your effort on your schoolwork? That kind of time sink is going to seriously drain you, and if your grades suffer or you don't get as much out of your courses as you should, you're wasting the money paying for them.

If you are looking for a place in Toronto, find somewhere reasonably cheap, not too far, and on the TTC. If you can manage to go entirely by subway, you can probably reduce your commute to 30 minutes or less. Much, much more sustainable. Don't go through big housing corps, and don't consider living on the university, as both charge quite a bit more money than is reasonable. I found a place this term on craigslist that is both really nice and pretty damn cheap, and found housing for next term on Kijiji. Classified are going to be your best bet. Don't shy away from roommates, but don't put yourself in a student ghetto. What do you think?

Yeah, I live in Toronto and going to UofT. The funny thing is that I don't even live that far from UofT (in terms of distance). My house is approximately 9 miles from campus according to google maps and I can easily get there if I had a car in 30-45 minutes. The TTC bus route that goes by my house is what pretty much screwed me over. Good advice though and I'll definitely look into my options, thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
see if you can find someone who lives near you who goes to u of t and do a rideshare type thing some of the time maybe? you'd have to pay them for gas of course but it'd be a lot faster than the lame bus route.

also, doubt anyone would actually be able to stalk you unless they knew what you looked like and stuff... but better safe than sorry!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lashes wrote
The classes you're taking are relatively easy and the 4 unit courseload will be very doable.

MAT223 is perhaps the easiest math course you will take at UT.
PHY131 will be a joke as long as you do all the problem sets assigned.
CSC108 is the slower-paced class for people with no prior knowledge of programming/induction/recursion so it's all about logic and loops.
MAT135 will be your most intense class and even that is pretty simple if you spend about 1hr/day on the material or if you've taken Calc in high-school.

All in all, a very nice schedule! Put in a bit of effort and you will see great results! :)

I anticipated that. Originally, I was planning on taking MAT157/MAT240/PHY151 which would have been unnecessary torture for first year since I can still get into the program I want with MAT135/MAT223/PHY131. Even comparing the content from MAT135 and MAT137 is no competition, let alone MAT157. Glad UofT changed the major requirements for my program this year. :cheers:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@kraken wrote
see if you can find someone who lives near you who goes to u of t and do a rideshare type thing some of the time maybe? you'd have to pay them for gas of course but it'd be a lot faster than the lame bus route.

also, doubt anyone would actually be able to stalk you unless they knew what you looked like and stuff... but better safe than sorry!

That might actually be a good idea, but do many people actually drive to UofT, let alone people who live around my area? Don't most commuters also use the TTC?

True, better to be safe than sorry.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
Not sure, but it's worth a try to find someone. Check craigslist, rideshare sites etc. (don't get raped/murdered though)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of threepointonefour threepointonefour
After taking the bus for a week or two, you'll be asking your classmates if they live near you. I mean, if you weren't in downtown Toronto I'd suggest biking to school, but I don't want you to get killed...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kraken kraken
I don't think a whole lot of cyclists get killed in Toronto.

then again, i have no idea.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vel vel
Decent schedule. Since you commute, you might find the breaks you have between classes on some days of your week irritating. You might as well try and find a quite comfortable site on campus and get some reading done.
Was this helpful? Yes 0