yconic - Course selection help.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Course selection help.

A photo of yellowbrickroad yellowbrickroad
I am in grade 10 and I'm filling out my course selection sheet for grade 11. Which courses should I take if I want to get into criminology? And what should my average be to get in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
Pretty easy one.
Criminology is under Arts in most universities, so the only real pre-req you need is English 12..
But I would take Law if I were you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of MaxwellEdison MaxwellEdison

@cyynthiia wrote
Pretty easy one.
Criminology is under Arts in most universities, so the only real pre-req you need is English 12..

Clearly you're misinformed. Any respectable arts program these days require physics, calculus, and AP computer science, with a minimum grade of 90 in each, to be considered... ESPECIALLY for a prestigious and competitive arts stream like criminology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@MaxwellEdison wrote

@cyynthiia wrote
Pretty easy one.

Clearly you're misinformed. Any respectable arts program these days require physics, calculus, and AP computer science, with a minimum grade of 90 in each, to be considered... ESPECIALLY for a prestigious and competitive arts stream like criminology.

That's only if you go to a school with no standards. For a top-grade university, you need 95 to even be considered, as well as a dozen ECs
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of yellowbrickroad yellowbrickroad
so what would my average have to be around to get into criminology in york or uoft
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@MaxwellEdison wrote

LOL dang, MY BAD...........
Never thought about going into Arts so I never looked into it.
Only for UBC since I live in Vancouver.
And all we need for UBC Arts is English and 3 other courses...
but I guess UBC isn't "respectable" for their Arts program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion

@cyynthiia wrote
but I guess UBC isn't "respectable" for their Arts program.

Thanks.

UBC Arts actually requires three years of a foreign language, and then you have to continue that language to a certain level at the university. There are also writing, research, literature, etc. requirements to graduate. And they recommend doing the supplemental app as well. That's more rigorous than most Arts programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
I actually meant that last part sarcastically..
but I guess you can't tell by the way I was typing, my bad.
:bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I take everything I read on the internet for serious.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

^
Good thing I don't..
Or I'd be a little worried about you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented

@yellowbrickroad wrote
so what would my average have to be around to get into criminology in york or uoft

Criminology's one of the more popular arts programs... that's what years of CSI will do to you, I guess.

For York, their normal bA cutoff is usually high 70s but Crim's is higher, around low to mid 80s.

U of T doesn't have a direct entry Criminology progam (they don't have a direct entry anything ... at St. G at least) so you'll be looking to apply into the Social Sciences stream with an average at least above 80.

Keep in mind when you're applying to Criminology programs the averages are going to be higher... even Guelph's criminology program (Criminal Justice & Public Policy) asks for a higher average than their normal bAs.

edit: Oh, you wanted a few courses in high school... if your high school offers Canadian & International Law, World Issues, Politics, Anthropology... take those courses. You may change your mind once you find out what Criminology is... a lot of reading and analyzing.
Was this helpful? Yes 0