yconic - Course Selection
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Course Selection

A photo of brady23 brady23
Hey guys.

I have a dilemma. I picked 6 courses I'm planning on taking in gr 12, but I want to take two more. Which two of the six courses would you guys recommend and why based on the workload, content, and difficulty of these courses Thanks!

CIA4U - Economics - heard it was easier than Accounting and way less time consuming

BAT4M - Accounting - even though I did well in gr11, I hear that this course is harder
and more time consuming

IDC4U - Finance - quite a few presentations and can be time consuming

MDM4U - Data - can be easy except for a few units

FSF4U - French - essays, can be hard, but it's worth it if you complete it

IDC4U2- Robotics - heard nothing
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of thepookmiester thepookmiester
Hey Brady! I'm actually having the same dilemma except I'm trying to choose courses for Grade 11. Fun stuff.

I know the courses I would take out of the options you gave ... but it all depends what you want to study in university/college or if you even have a clue for that matter. I know I don't. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
If you're not a logical thinker, do not take Data. It's full of logistical and linear thinking and not a lot of abstract problem solving like done in Grade 11 Functions. Have you taken Grade 12 Advanced Functions? It's harder than Advanced Functions but easier than Calculus, if that makes sense.

French is definitely worth it especially if you're planning on applying to Ottawa or if you want to do some sort of french in university.

Basically, just take what you know you'll do well in!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Take 8 courses and drop one in each semester depending on which one you don't like. That's the best advice you'll hear about course selections - trust me on that one.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I want to go into engineering (biomedical), so I think these courses would be really helpful:
(I will take English in summer school)

SBI4U - Biology
SCH4U - Chemistry
SPH4U - Physics
ICS4U - Comp Sci
MHF4U - Functions
MCV4U - Calculus

For my electives, I was thinking of taking Economics because I heard it was more interesting, easier, and less of a workload than Accounting.

And I don't know if I should take French or drop it. People tell me it's valuable but I'm not sure.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your responses btw, all very helpful :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21
My friend took both Economics and Accounting. She said Accounting was much easier than Economics. But I suppose it depends on the teacher.
I think it would kind of be useless to take Accounting in High School. Especially if you're not planning on going into accounting.

If you want to be an engineer, I would take data. Obviously you don't need data but the more math you have the better. I also heard it's not too hard. I'm in it next semester so I wouldn't know.
French would be good too. I might be bias though because I'm in immersion and love it. :colors: But core French isn't too demanding and it's good to have a base in it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Yeah. The thing is accounting is soo much hw! It's suppose to be an elective, but I spend just as much time on that as Sciences. I think Economics would be better for me, because I love math, and it is less homework since it has more to do with understanding. I also think Economics would be more interesting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@brady23 wrote
Yeah. The thing is accounting is soo much hw! It's suppose to be an elective, but I spend just as much time on that as Sciences. I think Economics would be better for me, because I love math, and it is less homework since it has more to do with understanding. I also think Economics would be more interesting.

Accounting homework? Are you sure?

I've taken Grade 11 Accounting and am almost done Gr 12 and the total amount of time I've spent on homework (not including projects) does not add up to more than 20.

Edit: What do you plan on going to university for as well? And what is your average?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well for Accounting, sometimes we have to do these culminating exercises that take like 30 minutes each to do, and our teacher assigns 2 and makes us hand it in. Accounting usually does take 20 minutes, but there is the odd occasion where it'll take like 1-2 hours.

Also, for tests, our teacher doesn't make you just do the application stuff like a balance sheet , or income statement, or bank reconciliation. She has a separate test just for knowledge, where you have to read the textbook and it's almost like memorizing. I hate that, I just like doing the application stuff like bank reconciliations, not memorizing why we need them, who uses them, or memorizing the steps of doing bank reconciliations. It's too specific and time consuming. -_-

And the teacher I had for Economics taught me gr10 business (I got 95 - highest, and the award), and I think she's a great teacher. Her tests are mainly multiple choice which I love compared to my accounting teacher's tests and just some general knowledge stuff where after reading the chapter a few times, you should be good. I just like her teaching style better, and I think Economics is way more interesting and will be easier than Accounting. Except, I'm doing pretty well in Accounting right now (96), so I don't know if I should just take it next year, but I think I'll take Economics for now, even if I do get a few % lower in it than I would in gr12 accounting, the lower workload makes up for it.

I have a 91% average (so far in Gr11). I want to apply for biomedical engineering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@brady23 wrote
Well for Accounting, sometimes we have to do these culminating exercises that take like 30 minutes each to do, and our teacher assigns 2 and makes us hand it in. Accounting usually does take 20 minutes, but there is the odd occasion where it'll take like 1-2 hours.

Also, for tests, our teacher doesn't make you just do the application stuff like a balance sheet , or income statement, or bank reconciliation. She has a separate test just for knowledge, where you have to read the textbook and it's almost like memorizing. I hate that, I just like doing the application stuff like bank reconciliations, not memorizing why we need them, who uses them, or memorizing the steps of doing bank reconciliations. It's too specific and time consuming. -_-

And the teacher I had for Economics taught me gr10 business (I got 95 - highest, and the award), and I think she's a great teacher. Her tests are mainly multiple choice which I love compared to my accounting teacher's tests and just some general knowledge stuff where after reading the chapter a few times, you should be good. I just like her teaching style better, and I think Economics is way more interesting and will be easier than Accounting. Except, I'm doing pretty well in Accounting right now (96), so I don't know if I should just take it next year, but I think I'll take Economics for now, even if I do get a few % lower in it than I would in gr12 accounting, the lower workload makes up for it.

I have a 91% average (so far in Gr11). I want to apply for biomedical engineering.

It sounds like Economics would be a good fit for you. I would probably take data management too. It's math, could be slightly useful to you later on.

Robotics could be useful too, but I did not even know that there was a robotics course at high school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

yeah do you guys have a knowledge part for your accounting tests? its so annoying, takes me like an hour to study for it, when the application is only like 20 minutes.
I was thinking of taking Robotics, but I'm not sure if it would be useful. I think learning about the electrical and wiring stuff would be useful, but everything else may just be extra knowledge that I don't need, since I don't want to go into robotic engineering. But I may join the club, just to get some feel of it.

Yeah, I think so too. I guess my two courses are Economics and French. I wish I had more space so I could take data, but I don't want to drop French or Econ. Thanks for your help btw, you were great! :)

Any other comments on my schedule would be appreciated! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@brady23 wrote
yeah do you guys have a knowledge part for your accounting tests? its so annoying, takes me like an hour to study for it, when the application is only like 20 minutes.
I was thinking of taking Robotics, but I'm not sure if it would be useful. I think learning about the electrical and wiring stuff would be useful, but everything else may just be extra knowledge that I don't need, since I don't want to go into robotic engineering. But I may join the club, just to get some feel of it.

Yeah, I think so too. I guess my two courses are Economics and French. I wish I had more space so I could take data, but I don't want to drop French or Econ. Thanks for your help btw, you were great! :)

Any other comments on my schedule would be appreciated! :)

We have a bunch of multiple choice questions on more knowledge stuff. Sometimes we have explaining questions too. There were more explaining type of questions in Grade 11 I think. Grade 12 theres the multiple choice, but sometimes theres only 15 MC questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@TallWaffle wrote
Robotics was really fun at my school. We got to go to competitions, and there's one coming up next semester that we'll be taking part in.
I always recommend robotics to people, it's fun. :D
(Well, it was fun for me)

I was always interested in taking robotics but I have no idea how you get marked in it. Can you answer these questions for me if you don't mind?

Do you guys get quizzes and tests, or do you just get marked on the robots you build? And everyday in class is it just building your robots or do you actually get lessons?

Someone told me that they just get quizzes on programming structures and build robots. And the robotics average is really high (mid 80s). I'm still contemplating whether I should take it or not. Thanks for your feedback! =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of poeticallydemented poeticallydemented
Jeez, the most "out there" course that my school has is like... grade 11 Parenting.

Seriously, as long as you have the prereqs for your program, just take what you know what you're going to do well in. If you want to get into a program as competitive as biomedical engineering, they're not going to be like "well, these two have the same averages, this one has a 92 in Data but THIS ONE has 87 in Robotics which is so much cooler." If you think you'll do well in something, then that's probably your best route.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Qq Qq

@brady23 wrote
Hey guys.

I have a dilemma. I picked 6 courses I'm planning on taking in gr 12, but I want to take two more. Which two of the six courses would you guys recommend and why based on the workload, content, and difficulty of these courses Thanks!

CIA4U - Economics - heard it was easier than Accounting and way less time consuming

BAT4M - Accounting - even though I did well in gr11, I hear that this course is harder
and more time consuming

Economics - Easy but lots of memorizing
Accounting - I laugh at this course
Data - Compared to Functions and Calc this is a joke

Stay away from the rest
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx

@brady23 wrote
Hey guys.

and more time consuming

hah, you have a robotics course?
i'd say take data it was the easiest math ever. ummmm french kinda seems like a waste of time unless you plan to actually use it (which you likely dont)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Okay I've narrowed it down to three courses, and I have to pick two:

French, Economics, or Accounting?

I'm sure I'll take French, but what would you guys choose in my position between Economics and Accounting based on the workload, difficulty, and content of the courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm sure I'll take French, but what would you guys choose in my position between Economics and Accounting based on the workload, difficulty, and content of the courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@brady23 wrote

I find the workload for accounting to be VERY easy. As in I have never really done any work. Except for one project and the summative. I don't study, and I'm doing fine.

I don't know about Economics, but I think I'm going to take it online next semester. I've heard it's fairly easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@brady23 wrote

I find the workload for accounting to be VERY easy. As in I have never really done any work. Except for one project and the summative. I don't study, and I'm doing fine.

I don't know about Economics, but I think I'm going to take it online next semester. I've heard it's fairly easy.

People always tell me gr12 accounting is so much harder than gr11 accounting, and it's gonna be more time-consuming to do all the homework and practise, and studying for tests.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@brady23 wrote

@g93 wrote

@brady23 wrote

People always tell me gr12 accounting is so much harder than gr11 accounting, and it's gonna be more time-consuming to do all the homework and practise, and studying for tests.

It's probably harder, but I think there's less homework.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Thanks everyone. I've decided on the following courses:
French, Advanced Functions, Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Comp Sci, and Economics

But now, I'm wondering how can I balance my semesters out. How would you rank the difficulty of each of these courses on a scale of 1-5?

Semester 1 - Chemistry, Physics, Advanced Functions, Economics
Semester 2 - Biology, Computer Sci, Calculus, French

Does this plan seem balanced? I'm trying to avoid my gr11 schedule, where I have 3 sciences in this semester + accounting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ffcelik ffcelik
Data will prepare you a lot better than accounting. It will teach you information that matters in your field, and you will actually be able to relate it to real life as the subject goes on...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@ffcelik wrote
Data will prepare you a lot better than accounting. It will teach you information that matters in your field, and you will actually be able to relate it to real life as the subject goes on...

Well, that's debatable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0