yconic - !!!!!Course-Changing-SummerSchool-Woes!!!!! please help.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

!!!!!Course-Changing-SummerSchool-Woes!!!!! please help.

A photo of Denouement Denouement
:!: I currently in grade 10, aiming to study pharmacy (preferably at UFT, Queens, or McGill)

Right now I have the option of changing my current selected courses for grade 11 next year.

World History 11
Coop 2 credit
English 11
Functions 11
Bio 11
Chem 11
Physics 11

My question is... is it safe to:
1. Take physics 11 and 12 in summer school (since I want to study pharmacy, physics isn't really needed... is it? I'm still not sure if physics is needed. :silent: )
2. Change functions to pre-AP functions? :S (I don't know, do universities like that?)
3. Change world history to Visual art, so it'll look like I'm balanced in the arts as well (I'm quite good at it too, but I wanna take a shot at world history. But art will definitely give me a really high mark.)

BTW, is taking courses in summer school putting you at a disadvantage? It is quite easier than normal school, so do universities care?

Please do help if you can! :bounce: It may not seem like a big problem, but I'm losing my head over this. I really don't want to regret anything, since I've done poorly in choosing my 9th and 10th grade courses. :scratch:

P.S.: Should I take Computer Science?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of brady23 brady23

@Denouement wrote
:!: I currently in grade 10, aiming to study pharmacy (preferably at UFT, Queens, or McGill)

Right now I have the option of changing my current selected courses for grade 11 next year.

World History 11
Coop 2 credit
English 11
Functions 11
Bio 11
Chem 11
Physics 11

1. Take physics 11 and 12 in summer school (since I want to study pharmacy, physics isn't really needed... is it? I'm still not sure if physics is needed. :silent: )
2. Change functions to pre-AP functions? :S (I don't know, do universities like that?)
3. Change world history to Visual art, so it'll look like I'm balanced in the arts as well (I'm quite good at it too, but I wanna take a shot at world history. But art will definitely give me a really high mark.)

BTW, is taking courses in summer school putting you at a disadvantage? It is quite easier than normal school, so do universities care?

Please do help if you can! :bounce: It may not seem like a big problem, but I'm losing my head over this. I really don't want to regret anything, since I've done poorly in choosing my 9th and 10th grade courses. :scratch:

I can't stress enough - if art will give you a really good mark take it! You need 2 average boosters in your top 6 for grade 12 and if art will give you a 90+ take it! Having 2 90+ average boosters can make your top 6 average higher than someone who got higher marks in the prerequisites but only had 80s in their 2 electives. And don't take World History 11 - it's not even a prerequisite, if anything take a higher level grade 12 history course if you know you can get a 90 in it. Art 11 is a prerequisite for Art 12, and if you can get a 90+ in your electives it will help a lot!

If you want to do coop, then I would take English in summer school since it is not that important and very subjective to your teacher. You can't really learn how to write essays and stuff. But if you don't want to do coop, then take something in summer school and take art in day school!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of jelly jelly
I really doubt universities care that you're taking an art over a social science, they only really care about the mark itself. It doesn't matter if you have physics in your top 6 vs having any random bird course. That being said, if you want to go to pharmacy, I've heard a lot about Waterloo's CAP. Not about how great of a program it is, but more so about how broken the system is, and how huge of an advantage you get from it. If you are taking physics, you should be taking it to learn, not to get it over with. It'll probably be a bad idea to do it in summer school as there is a hefty amount of concepts you need to go through.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote
I really doubt universities care that you're taking an art over a social science, they only really care about the mark itself. It doesn't matter if you have physics in your top 6 vs having any random bird course. That being said, if you want to go to pharmacy, I've heard a lot about Waterloo's CAP. Not about how great of a program it is, but more so about how broken the system is, and how huge of an advantage you get from it. If you are taking physics, you should be taking it to learn, not to get it over with. It'll probably be a bad idea to do it in summer school as there is a hefty amount of concepts you need to go through.

Thank you so much for the advice! I did change my hist to art. :) but I was thinking about taking physics in summer school. I really suck at it and all the physics teachers mark really hard. I thought I'd take a shot at it in summer school.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@jelly wrote

Oh that's gonna be a lot of things to think about. XD; now I'm in a predicament again. Thank you for your help! :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of albud289 albud289

@jelly wrote
That being said, if you want to go to pharmacy, I've heard a lot about Waterloo's CAP. Not about how great of a program it is, but more so about how broken the system is, and how huge of an advantage you get from it.

How is it "broken"? What do you mean be "huge advantage"? And why wouldn't you consider it a great program if it has huge advantages?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of denden denden

@Denouement wrote

1. Physics is hard depending on what you're good at. If math is your forte, you would find summer school physics fairly easy. But if you're not, then it might be a challenge. One month filled with a years worth of physics.
2. Can't answer that. We don't have any AP/enriched courses in gr11 and gr12.
3. Yeah. You should. I don't really know why you need world history for pharmacy. Art is more enjoyable as well.

I haven't summer schooled before (I'm also in gr10 right now) but I can say that you should only summer school courses you find less important than the rest. You should also take it ONLY if you believe you can pass it with effort.

I'm in compsci(ICS2O1) right now. Did you take it in grade 10 or not? If not, taking ICS in Grade 11 is a bit tough if you've never dealt with programming. ICS2O1 isn't even a prerequisite but it gives you the basics of programming to prepare you for stuff like Python which will be included in ICS3U1. I don't suggest taking it if you're not good at logical thinking and physics. Computer science has a lot of math involved and grouping enormous amounts of codes together. And if you didn't take grade 10 compsci, it'll be even harder to start in ICS3U1. My guy friend took ICS3U1 this year without grade 10 and even though he's really good at programming, he's still not into 90s yet. So, yeah, it will be hard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0