yconic - Criminal Record Check
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Criminal Record Check

A photo of cosstickxx cosstickxx
So I had an interview about 2 1/2 weeks ago at a place, and they emailed me back yesterday asking me to send them the required forms/identification so they can run a record check.

what's peoples opinion on this? does it sound like i got the job? would a company honestly run a record check on everyone who they interviewed?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
18 replies

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I know of companies that run police checks on everyone they hire, or think about hiring.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ya I'm not questioning that they're doing a check. I'm wondering if it means I got the job lol
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
I'd say so. If your criminal record checks out, you got the job.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Ha I'm in nursing, we have to have a clear record
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Well then, as long as you haven't committed any serious crimes since the last time your professional college checked your criminal record, you should be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote

Not necessarily. I know of places where they will get a stack of resumes, sort through and get a handful of resumes, and then they will interview and run police checks on them. And only one or two will get the job.

How big is the place you're applying to?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote

Not necessarily. I know of places where they will get a stack of resumes, sort through and get a handful of resumes, and then they will interview and run police checks on them. And only one or two will get the job.

Pretty big. I know they did a ton of interviews and are only hiring 3 people. They did interviews 2 weeks ago though, so I dont get why they'd do a record check on someone if they didn't even like them at the interview though. If they finished interviews already wouldn't they just be running checks on anyone who caught their interest?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

It typically costs them money to run a criminal record check, so they're only going to run checks on the people whom they're serious about hiring. Why would they run criminal record checks on people they're not interest in hiring?

If they want to hire two people, then they're going to run checks on their favourite two candidates. If one or both of them turns out to be a regular criminal, then they'll run a criminal record check on their third and/or fourth favourite candidates; if those turn out to be criminals, then they'll repeat... No sense in just running criminal record checks on everyone.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@cosstickxx wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

Pretty big. I know they did a ton of interviews and are only hiring 3 people. They did interviews 2 weeks ago though, so I dont get why they'd do a record check on someone if they didn't even like them at the interview though. If they finished interviews already wouldn't they just be running checks on anyone who caught their interest?

Well the place I am referring to is quite large, and they run checks on everyone they interview... sometimes even before they interview. It is their policy, and as Matt noted it does cost money but I guess they feel it is worth it.

Hopefully they aren't like this and it means you will get the job. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline
I'd say it's pretty positive, the last (and only) four jobs I've had were all conditional job offers dependent upon the criminal record check. It's pretty expensive, so unless its a huge company where the cost of a criminal record check is nothing to them, I'd say its pretty good looking (presuming your criminal record check is clean hahah:P)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@moodeline wrote
I'd say it's pretty positive, the last (and only) four jobs I've had were all conditional job offers dependent upon the criminal record check. It's pretty expensive, so unless its a huge company where the cost of a criminal record check is nothing to them, I'd say its pretty good looking (presuming your criminal record check is clean hahah:P)

Clean as a whistle :)
I sure hope you're right, I'm sick of looking for a job
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SUMmer123456 SUMmer123456
I would say you'll get it...if you're clean :P. I doubt they have the time to run a check on someone they've written off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of moodeline moodeline

@cosstickxx wrote

@moodeline wrote

Clean as a whistle :)
I sure hope you're right, I'm sick of looking for a job

Let me know! I really hope you get it, and it looks good. When will they let you know?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I am pretty sure OP got the job or else why would they bother making you get a police check. Plus police checks can take up to 3 weeks, and you have to pay for it usually.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Got it! Just called me Friday to let me know!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super

@cosstickxx wrote
Got it! Just called me Friday to let me know!

Congrats on the job.

Obviously, a company would not do a criminal record check that costs them roughly $20 and 2 weeks to process if you were not the appropriate candidate.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tracidb80 tracidb80
For certain jobs, it is absolutely necessary for businesses to run a criminal background check. This keeps everyone safe and for people with a criminal background, there are alternative fields to go into, most preferrably working as an independent contractor or in sales.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of StudentAtStPats StudentAtStPats
If you say the police check is for volunteering, it's free...............
Was this helpful? Yes 0