yconic - Criminology: WIlfrid Laurier vs Carleton
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Criminology: WIlfrid Laurier vs Carleton

A photo of dan031 dan031
Hello everyone, I just have a few simple questions regarding Laurier and Carleton. I have been given an offer by both (still don't have the details from Laurier) for their Criminology program and I'm just wondering how do the two programs compare? Is either one a better program than the other?

I am pretty much wondering about the pros and cons about the two programs from those who have attended them (or those who are knowledgable about them).

Thanks for the help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of awaysheflew awaysheflew
I don't anything about either program, but I'm assuming that both are more or less the same. I suggest taking a look at the Undergraduate Calendars at both universities looking up the Criminology courses to see which school offers more courses that align with your interests.

If both schools offer what you're looking for, look at other factors such as residences, scholarships, campus social scene, clubs, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of nadia93 nadia93
i just came back from the laurier open house today and i got a really bad vibe from the school.. i went to some other open houses this past week and the students there seemed to enjoy being there and today at laurier, it looked really run-down and out-of-date & the students looked really careless.. the buildings are old and the residences looked like government housing, this is just my opinion but my perspective of laurier totally changed after seeing it today.
i went to ottawa on wednesday and stayed till thursday and i REALLY liked it, i love the city and the students were really friendly and enthusiastic about the school (i went to uottawa not carleton but they're neighbours lol) the tour i went on was really informative and i saw all they had to offer and the vibe was very positive and reassuring.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031
Thanks everyone for their replies.

@ Nadia93, Ya I've been hearing some of the same stories (unfortunatly I wasn't able to go to the open house because I was away for the march break), but for me there is more than just the 'look' of the campus (ie. as awaysheflew suggested I compared the two programs and though I enjoyed both I found that there were a few more courses I would enjoy more so).

Atleast I have a few months to choose.

Again thanks for your replies.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup

@nadia93 wrote
i just came back from the laurier open house today and i got a really bad vibe from the school.. i went to some other open houses this past week and the students there seemed to enjoy being there and today at laurier, it looked really run-down and out-of-date & the students looked really careless.. the buildings are old and the residences looked like government housing, this is just my opinion but my perspective of laurier totally changed after seeing it today.
i went to ottawa on wednesday and stayed till thursday and i REALLY liked it, i love the city and the students were really friendly and enthusiastic about the school (i went to uottawa not carleton but they're neighbours lol) the tour i went on was really informative and i saw all they had to offer and the vibe was very positive and reassuring.

Oh really? Interesting. I had no idea about Laurier.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dan031 dan031

@heesoup wrote

@nadia93 wrote

Oh really? Interesting. I had no idea about Laurier.

Just to be clear this is what I heard about the Brantford campus, I don't know about the 'main' campus.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clairec21 clairec21
I live in Kitchener-Waterloo so I know a bit about Laurier's main campus.

It's alright looking. The buildings are pretty well-kept, but obviously not stunning. I would say it's nicer looking than UW, though.
I've stayed in one of their residences and it was pretty basic- two beds, two small closets, and two desks in a room. Shared washrooms as well. The building I stayed in didn't have air conditioning, but some of the newer residences do.
BUT, you definitely want to research the residence buildings. Some are absolutely atrocious. I walked by what I thought was run-down government housing, but I realized it was a Laurier rez once I saw the sign. So be careful about your residence choice.

But their athletic centre is pretty nice if you're in to that.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

My friend just visited Carleton and she was very impressed. She said their tunnel system is really nice and the rez is so clean. The city isn't too bad either since it's the capital of our country ;)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Keja Keja

@heesoup wrote
My friend just visited Carleton and she was very impressed. She said their tunnel system is really nice and the rez is so clean. The city isn't too bad either since it's the capital of our country ;)

What kind of dorm did she get to see?

I went on a tour near the end of February at Carleton during reading week so we didn't get to see an actual room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Keja wrote

@heesoup wrote

What kind of dorm did she get to see?

I went on a tour near the end of February at Carleton during reading week so we didn't get to see an actual room.

I think she saw the traditional suite.
Was this helpful? Yes 0