yconic - CS at UW or UofT: Which one will you choose?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

CS at UW or UofT: Which one will you choose?

A photo of Stranger Stranger
Ahh, I'm having trouble deciding whether I should go to Waterloo or Toronto for computer science.
I'm leaning towards Waterloo, what about you?

I made a list of what I consider pros and cons for each.

University of Waterloo
Pros:
-well known for their CS program and considered the number one CS program in Canada by many
-quieter, less crowded
-up to 6 work terms, around $55,000-$80,000 made, more contacts made
-has world's best co-op
-I felt like I fit in better here than UofT
-away from family
-easier to get personal help? Also tutors in residence.
-Bill Gate's favourite Canadian university :p
-gain independence from living away from parents

Cons:
-more expensive tuition and sucky scholarships
-also more expensive because I have to live in res

University of Toronto
Pros:
-can commute, saves money
-PEY allows more experience in one job
-cheaper tuition
-still in the top for Canada's CS programs
-close to malls and other things in general

Cons:
-more crowded, impersonal
-felt out of place there
-less money made than UW co-op on average ($45,000)
-stuck with family
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of peterv peterv
debating on this also...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I just got an official mail from UofT accepting me into their CS program + a $5000 scholarship. Ahhh, this makes the decision harder. The money is tempting. :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous

@Stranger wrote
-I felt like I fit in better here than UofT

Just based on that, on top of everything else mentioned, i think you should go to waterloo. The extra cost wont be a huge issue in the long run. I had the opposite feeling with the two universities. I felt better at uoft which is one of the main reason i chose uoft, not for comp sci but still same idea. IMO go to waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Measys Measys

@Stranger wrote
I just got an official mail from UofT accepting me into their CS program + a $5000 scholarship. Ahhh, this makes the decision harder. The money is tempting. :P

Sort of unrelated, but what was your average? I'm still waiting on my letter of acceptance and am wondering if I might be in for such a treat too :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Measys wrote

@Stranger wrote

Sort of unrelated, but what was your average? I'm still waiting on my letter of acceptance and am wondering if I might be in for such a treat too :)

My gr.11 average was 95-96% and my first semester gr.12 average was 97.3%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Terrl Terrl

@Stranger wrote

University of Waterloo
Pros:
-well known for their CS program and considered the number one CS program in Canada by many

Really? Looking at the rankings, UofT is ranked the highest in Canada for technology or science by Times, Newsweek, QS, ARWU, etc.

I visited both campuses. Personally, I liked UofT's better. It has a nice historic feel to it. The library system is pretty awesome, it has 42 total including one that's 16 storeys; it's the 4th largest system in North America. Toronto is also a much more interesting city, I find. They also offer more financial aid, based on what I've read. I got into both, but chose UofT. (edit: well, technically I didn't choose yet, still have to accept an offer)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm choosing Waterloo and basically have the same pros list as you. Waterloo just feels so much more personal and home-like. UT's campus is just scattered all over the place and mixed in with the commercial buildings (not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, just not my cup of tea). As for malls, well if you live close to UT then you can always go there during the weekends.
Also, since coop is usually every other term, you won't have all those loans piling up.

But really, that's just my opinion. Go to the Uni you think you'd enjoy the most. It's 4-5 years of your life and you're paying a heck load of money for it :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0