yconic - Current Schulich Student - Any Questions?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current Schulich Student - Any Questions?

A photo of SBStudent SBStudent
Hello, I'm a 1st Year Undergrad (BBA) student at the Schulich School of Business @ York U. I remember referring back to Studentawards quite often as I was deciding which university to apply to. I think it's only right if I contribute back to the community and answer any questions that you may have.

Ask away, and I'll do my best to answer back to the best of my abilities :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of maheen234 maheen234
Hi, thanks alot for doing this :)

i have a couple of questions:

1) how math intensive are the first year courses at schulich? im taking advanced functions and calculus this year but not data management and im worried im going to really need it next year.

2)is it easy/manageable to get high marks at schulich if you come out of high school with a 93-96 high school avg? or is it much harder than high school (in terms of work load, marking, exams, etc)

3) how is the program's social environment? (like amount of guys vs girls, diversity...etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn
Saw this post while browsing...wanted to share some insight :p
1) The only math course you'll have first year is stats, as you've probably heard already. It's not easy material but it's definitely manageable if you put in the hours and actually study/practice. Taking data helps since the material taught is the same as data up to the midterm exam. Afterwards, everything you learn is new, so data won't have an impact. Don't worry if you don't have data; I have lots of friends who don't but are still doing pretty well. Just be willing to ask questions and work for it.

2) So far, the difficulty of the material is actually easier than high school stuff. How well you do depends more on how much effort and time you put in. You only have 15 hours of class per week, and you'll probably have only four days of classes. You are left with plenty of time to get everything done, as long as you actually plan your time well and have self control.

In terms of marking...it really depends on your prof. None have been extra harsh so far; they're mostly between easy to fair.

3) Equal amount of guys vs. girls, extremely diverse student mix (probably more so than the other top tier business schools). Because it's a relatively small program, everyone feels like part of one big family. We help each other out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SBStudent SBStudent
^

Spot on, but I'll add a bit more.

1) If you're not taking Data, it's not a big deal. Many students haven't taken Data, but they're managing. My advice would be to look over a little bit of information on Data Management and find out what to expect over the summer. As aeryn pointed out, it'll only mostly serve you until the midterm.

2)The work isn't harder than the work in high school, but your workload is more than in high school. Time management will be a key skill and it will serve you greatly. You'll come to realize that you have a lot of time in between classes, but the majority of that time will be spent studying, reading, preparing for presentations, group work, and of course socializing and networking.

3) The distribution of males to females is about 50/50, with a diverse population. We're a small program, and it'll be very easy to make friends and find people to hang out with. Chances are, you might actually start making friends before the year actually starts. We had a Facebook group for all the 2015s, and it turned out to be a very good way for all of us to get to know one another. Schulich offers a competitive environment, but in the best ways possible. As aeryn pointed it out, we truly are like a big family and we do help each other out.

Whoever sent me a PM, please register for an account and post your question here or PM me with your new account. I can't send replies to guest accounts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Nick0rz Nick0rz
RE: 2.
Things will get harder as your stats course finishes up. Also, all the first years got lucky with the MGMT midterm because of the crane falling down, Basically everyone got 90s because of it (is what Ive been told). It wont be like that for your final, since they'll need to shift the marks down further.

For iBBAs I believe 2nd year is difficult because of apply for exchange coincides with your exams.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aeryn aeryn

@Nick0rz wrote
RE: 2.
Things will get harder as your stats course finishes up. Also, all the first years got lucky with the MGMT midterm because of the crane falling down, Basically everyone got 90s because of it (is what Ive been told). It wont be like that for your final, since they'll need to shift the marks down further.

For iBBAs I believe 2nd year is difficult because of apply for exchange coincides with your exams.

Yeah, everyone got an A+ on the MGMT midterm because of the accident, but that just means the other marks from team and individual projects, as well as the final exam will be very important. :/

Was this helpful? Yes 0