yconic - Current UBC Student- Ask me anything
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current UBC Student- Ask me anything

UBC Engineer.

I can answer questions about about rez life, science, how I got into UBC, engineering or transferring.
Was this helpful? Yes 7
1223 replies

A photo of SweetSimplicity SweetSimplicity
I want to get into UBC Science/ Pharmaceutical. I was just wondering if i have to be taking a language during high school, is it like a prerequisite? Also, if I have to be taking a language is it fine taking it online instead? Or will it decrease my chances going into UBC since I'm not taking it at school? As well, how can I increase my chances of getting into UBC? What kind of volunteer, leadership, extra curricular, grades, etc.... I really want to get into UBC, thank you!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Duck123 Duck123
Hi I had a quick question about ubc confirmations, a lot of my friends acceptances have already been confirmed however mine has not. Should I be worried? Is it because some people English 12 provincial exam marks came out recently ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@SweetSimplicity wrote
I want to get into UBC Science/ Pharmaceutical. I was just wondering if i have to be taking a language during high school, is it like a prerequisite? Also, if I have to be taking a language is it fine taking it online instead? Or will it decrease my chances going into UBC since I'm not taking it at school? As well, how can I increase my chances of getting into UBC? What kind of volunteer, leadership, extra curricular, grades, etc.... I really want to get into UBC, thank you!

Sorry I took so long, I had to find the page again. I'm using the BC/ Yukon info (found at the link below). You need a language 11. There's a list of languages that are acceptable somewhere. As long as you take the language online through your high school and you get credits for it and it shows up on your transcript you should be fine. UBC won't care where you took it as long as you have proper credits for it. Make sure to talk to your counselor and/or UBC to verify that the online program you're looking at is legit.

You can increase your odds of getting into UBC by getting at least an over 91% average and by having a well balanced EC profile. 91% was the overall average of Fall 2013 accepted applicants. That is for all of the faculties, so for science you'd be safe to be above 94-95%, but there is no magic number to guarantee your acceptance. They are not looking for any specific type of EC, they will judge your personal profile by how you write about each activity not necessarily what the activity was.

http://you.ubc.ca/admissions/canadian-highschools/bc-yukon/
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@Duck123 wrote
Hi I had a quick question about ubc confirmations, a lot of my friends acceptances have already been confirmed however mine has not. Should I be worried? Is it because some people English 12 provincial exam marks came out recently ?

Don't be worried! I know people who were ACCEPTED ten days before classes started. If you have a big concern, call UBC and talk to someone in your faculty. They have a ton of accepted applicants to wade through and confirm their offers. I would definitely recommend that you call UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Homewerk Homewerk
Good of you to do something like this!

Why did you transfer into engineering?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@Homewerk wrote
Good of you to do something like this!

Why did you transfer into engineering?

Thanks! I chose to transfer because I got to know a bunch of engineers and I learned about what they were taking and it interested me. Math and physics were my strongest first year courses and I found that I had no interest in any of the science majors offered. Engineering on the other hand has several specializations that I am interested in. Plus, I really like the sense of community that engineering has.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ingridtan ingridtan

@SweetSimplicity wrote

I also want to get into Pharmaceutical Sciences. Will it take me 5 or 6 years? Can you please give me some tips to get into UBC?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@ingridtan wrote

@SweetSimplicity wrote

I also want to get into Pharmaceutical Sciences. Will it take me 5 or 6 years? Can you please give me some tips to get into UBC?

Pharmacy is tough. you have to at least have a first year of sciences (including all prerequisites) but lots of people don't get in after first year. You have to make sure you get all of the prerequisites. That being said, a whole degree will take you 5+ years.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of haabear97 haabear97
Hi, I am starting grade 12 this year and am really stressed about applying to UBC. Do you have any tips for the personal profile bit of the application?
Also my grades last year were:
Bio 11-88
Chem 11-92
Phys 11-91
Eng 11-92
SS 11-95
Psych 11-91
Punjabi 11-89
Work experience 12A-98
Work Experience 12B-100
Community Leadership-91
I also play soccer on my school team and a league team, volunteer with the Canadian cancer society, Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Vancouver teen mentoring, coached a soccer team, tutored at school, and work as a soccer referee.
I am really stressed about this upcoming year so if you could just give me some tips and what you think about my chances of getting into UBC sciences that would be great.
Thanks!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Don't stress! My tips for you would be to bring up your grades this year if possible, and to really write a great personal profile. You have participated in lots of great stuff- now you have to really focus and write a succinct set of essays to explain what you learned from those activities. Talk to UBC Sciences about the application, talk to your counselor, and if you know any current students talk to them too. The biggest tip I can give you is that when you write the personal profile: it's about quality, not quantity. Write about what you learned from the experiences.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reputation Reputation
Hi, I'd like to know which courses you took during high school.
Did you take any Advanced placement courses?

Also, I've heard UBC is more competitive compared to other schools. Is it partially true?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@Reputation wrote
Hi, I'd like to know which courses you took during high school.
Did you take any Advanced placement courses?

Also, I've heard UBC is more competitive compared to other schools. Is it partially true?

I took Chem 12, bio 12, phys 12, english 12, Precalulus 12, Calculus 12 and all of the prerequisites for those courses. I did not take any AP or IB.

UBC is one of the hardest schools to get into in Canada. Once you're in, it is a fairly competitive school but the level of that will vary by program (ie engineering is more competitive than Arts, etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of IsabelPD IsabelPD
Aaaah I kind of love you right now. I have so many things to ask, if you wouldn't mind answering.

-What is Vancouver like as a city? I love the fact that it's a bigger city because there's more cultural things to do, but did you find that it had a good atmosphere, street/night life, etc?
-Are profs big intimidating dudes or would they, generally speaking, be ok with offering extra help and all that?
-What were some of your favorite electives?
-As far as you know, to what extent do they use grade 11 marks (I keep hearing different things from everybody)?
-Is it hard to sleep at night in residence? Like, does it get really loud from people partying/talking? And what are some things you found essential when living in residence in terms of clothes or appliances? Would it be worth it bringing a mini fridge? And since there's no kitchen in the dorms, does that mean you have to buy everything you eat, or can you actually cook downstairs in a shared kitchen or lounge or something?
-Any tips to writing an incredible personal profile?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zackxd zackxd
I'm planning on submitting my application early before the Major Entrance Scholarship Dec 10 deadline. Even if I don't get accepted for early admission, can I be accepted for regular admission? Also, I come from a semester school. I got around a 89% average in grade 11 (Counting only courses UBC accepts). Will UBC look at these marks, and if so, does it count for much?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LaOSVU LaOSVU

@aturley wrote
I'm a second year UBC student. I took first year sciences, lived in rez, and have since transferred into Engineering. Have a question about rez life, science or transferring? Ask away!

You're an engineering student? Could you answer my question since you would more about this program:

http://www.studentawards.com/Forum.aspx?g=posts&t=63875

Thx
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
OK I just did.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Reoki96 Reoki96

@zackxd wrote
I'm planning on submitting my application early before the Major Entrance Scholarship Dec 10 deadline. Even if I don't get accepted for early admission, can I be accepted for regular admission? Also, I come from a semester school. I got around a 89% average in grade 11 (Counting only courses UBC accepts). Will UBC look at these marks, and if so, does it count for much?

You won't be self-reporting your grade 12 grades until march/april. UBC is offering conditional admission to students based on the strength of their grade 11 grades (but I assume it'd have to be something ridiculously high). I'm not sure if you're from BC, but for my year, no one I knew from BC got in until AFTER second-term self-reporting. You're still in the mix until they send you a rejection (which would solely be based on grade 12 term 2 marks). Although they may be able to offer you admission based off of grade 11 marks, they're not gonna reject you based off of any grade 11 marks (That of course is dependent on how the BCTF strike unfolds, however).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jamesgz Jamesgz
Hi, I am currently in Grade 11 and I am very nerved since I dont have many extracurricular activities and I dont know what I should do...Help me plz

1) Does university look at your extracurricular activities when you apply for it?
2) How much does extracurricular activities help you when you apply for universities?
3) Do universities need proofs of the extracurricular activities when i apply for universities?

I am currently in Jazz Band and I did one year of air cadet in Grade 10 and it's a very time consuming thing... I dont know if I should join air cadets again

Here is other available extracurricular choices:
Air Cadets (First Aid Team, etc...)
Dude of Edinburgh
Sports team
Peer Tutoring
Model UN

I am taking 2 honor courses (Math and Chem) that will be leading me to AP Math and Chem, so I am somewhat busy in my schedules. Is my EC enough? or should i do more EC and which of those choices is better?

Thank you
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@IsabelPD wrote
Aaaah I kind of love you right now. I have so many things to ask, if you wouldn't mind answering.

-What is Vancouver like as a city? I love the fact that it's a bigger city because there's more cultural things to do, but did you find that it had a good atmosphere, street/night life, etc?
-Are profs big intimidating dudes or would they, generally speaking, be ok with offering extra help and all that?
-As far as you know, to what extent do they use grade 11 marks (I keep hearing different things from everybody)?
-Is it hard to sleep at night in residence? Like, does it get really loud from people partying/talking? And what are some things you found essential when living in residence in terms of clothes or appliances? Would it be worth it bringing a mini fridge? And since there's no kitchen in the dorms, does that mean you have to buy everything you eat, or can you actually cook downstairs in a shared kitchen or lounge or something?

Vancouver is super diverse! I love it here, there is tons of stuff to do and the transit system is great! There are lots of street markets and fairs at different points of the year. The night life isn't the best, but there is a decent amount of buzz on Fridays.

Some profs are really only there to fund their research and are super formal, but then there are other profs who really just want you to succeed. I had a biology prof last year who had a ton of review sessions, baked us cookies, and took us on a field trip and knew my name. In a class of 200.

I am currently taking my first elective now (Spanish 101) and it's great so far (easy and a small classroom).

To the extent of my knowledge they only count as a placeholder until you report your grade 12 grades. That could be very different this year with all the strike crap happening.

Difficulty to sleep varies by residence. I lived in a very quiet building in first year, however our sister house was constantly loud. It also depends on the time of the year (regular quiet hours are 10pm to 7am, finals quiet hours are 4pm ish to 12pm ish). Weekend have different quiet hours and they're a lot louder. I definitely used my kettle a ton. I would recommend you get a good umbrella, rain jacket and a pair of rain boots (campus is puddle city). I used a mini fridge lots, but other people didn't use theirs at all. You can get them here from upper years selling them for cheap. If you're going into first year res you'll be forced to buy a meal plan (cafeteria will cook all your food) any food you buy from a grocery store is just extra. 1st year dorms have no cooking facilities, just a microwave, communal fridge, and a sink.

You should get other people to read it over for you and ask your guidance counselor for advice.

Any other questions?
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@Jamesgz wrote
Hi, I am currently in Grade 11 and I am very nerved since I dont have many extracurricular activities and I dont know what I should do...Help me plz

1) Does university look at your extracurricular activities when you apply for it?
2) How much does extracurricular activities help you when you apply for universities?
3) Do universities need proofs of the extracurricular activities when i apply for universities?

I am currently in Jazz Band and I did one year of air cadet in Grade 10 and it's a very time consuming thing... I dont know if I should join air cadets again

Dude of Edinburgh
Sports team
Peer Tutoring
Model UN

I am taking 2 honor courses (Math and Chem) that will be leading me to AP Math and Chem, so I am somewhat busy in my schedules. Is my EC enough? or should i do more EC and which of those choices is better?

Thank you

I would definitely recommend that you do some research about the universities you are interested in.

UBC looks at your ECs through the personal profile section, which is weighted approximately 50%. They'll get proof of you ECs through one of your references.

I can't tell you whether you have enough ECs or which ones you should do, do some research on UBC to see what you think is acceptable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jamesgz Jamesgz

@aturley wrote

@Jamesgz wrote

Dude of Edinburgh
Sports team
Peer Tutoring
Model UN

Thank you

I would definitely recommend that you do some research about the universities you are interested in.

UBC looks at your ECs through the personal profile section, which is weighted approximately 50%. They'll get proof of you ECs through one of your references.

I can't tell you whether you have enough ECs or which ones you should do, do some research on UBC to see what you think is acceptable.

Thank you for replying. Does Personal profile section make a big difference? and what ECs did you do when you apply for UBC? thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@Jamesgz wrote

@aturley wrote

@Jamesgz wrote

Dude of Edinburgh
Sports team
Peer Tutoring
Model UN

Thank you

Thank you for replying. Does Personal profile section make a big difference? and what ECs did you do when you apply for UBC? thank you.

The personal profile does make a big difference (supposedly 50% of consideration goes into the PP). I had a job, was editor of the yearbook, I volunteered, I was a part of an anti bullying group, and I traveled to volunteer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lucasgeorgebrown lucasgeorgebrown
Are there many hippies on campus? Do they bother you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T

@lucasgeorgebrown wrote
Are there many hippies on campus? Do they bother you?

Haha! UBC is a very diverse campus, so yes there are hippies, but no they don't bother me. They're people.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of PickledPeppers PickledPeppers
Okay, I'm really confused over the simplest things... Bachelor of Science (general program) is usually the best to apply for first right (if going for a science-related career), instead of something like Bachelor of Dental Sciences (Dental Hygiene) or Bachelor of Science in Applied Biology, even if you think that specifically MIGHT be what you're going to ease into and muddle around with in the future? Is that right?

... Or is it actually suppose to be Bachelor of Applied Science? I thought that's the one you pick if you're going into something like engineering.

x_x
Was this helpful? Yes 0