yconic - Current UBC Student- Ask me anything
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current UBC Student- Ask me anything

UBC Engineer.

I can answer questions about about rez life, science, how I got into UBC, engineering or transferring.
Was this helpful? Yes 7
1223 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of Anna T Anna T
ECs matter a lot for UBC, but they're not necessarily looking for you to be the president or secretary of a club or start your own club. UBC is looking at your ECs to gauge whether you are a well rounded student, people who focus only on academics are more likely to burn out and not contribute to UBC's community. 

In terms of what impact your high school ECs will have on your career? Zero. No employer is going to give a damn if you played a sport in high school, but they will care to some extent about what you got involved with at the university level.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Starting to get worried... I have a 91% applying to ubc science, still haven't heard. I believe my personal profile is probably a 75%ish (if it was marked that way)  Any thoughts?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Read the website. UBC doesn't do admissions in any particular order. There are people out there with 97% averages who haven't heard back. Just sit back and wait, it's not worth worrying about.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Is it common for people to transfer from Langara to UBC 3rd year? Isn't it difficult to get a good GPA with 2nd year courses such as Linear Algebra / Calculus 3, Physics, Chem, Stats, ETC..? In that case, how common is for people to take easier courses to meet the GPA for UBC transfer, but will have to take 1st/2nd year "core" courses in your 3rd year of post-secondary? Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
I don't know much about transferring from a different school, sorry. I transferred internally.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I just got admitted to UBCV engineering. I am an Ontario student, and am currently stuck between UBC and Queen's. What would you say are the benefits of choosing UBC over Queen's?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
UBC is bigger (so we probably offer a bigger range of courses, but that is something you should check), we are in a spectacular location (we have our own beaches, we're a bus ride from downtown and lots of bars, you can get to three different ski hills from here, easy access to hiking, we have great walking trails on campus in the forest surrounding campus), we have world class programs, and our engineering faculty is great. I don't know much about Queens, and I am biased to UBC, but if you have more specific questions let me know.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

thanks! that's really helpful. I'm just making a pros/cons list to balance both out so really anything is helpful :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Definitely try looking up UBC Blog Squad. There are are some good insights on there.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Do you know the acceptance rate for applied science alone?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
I know the average but I don't know the ratio of applicants to accepted students, only UBC knows that.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Should I be worried that I havent heard back from UBC for my 2nd choice arts yet?
I have an 85% average with a fairly strong PP and well rounded EC's, its just the paranoia is getting to me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
No, they don't do admissions in any particular order. Sit tight, be patient.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Arts was also my second choice, Media was my first. I got accepted to arts on April first, and Media on the 7th.  My friend hasn't heard from either choice of hers. She applied to dentistry as first, and arts as second. Hope that helps.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Just because she hasn't heard yet doesn't mean it's a good or bad sign. UBC does admission in no particular order. Until her SSC says yes or no, there's nothing you can do but wait
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi Anna,

Thanks for all your help on this forum.  I read somewhere that you were a Peer Mentor at Destination UBC at some point.  I'm debating attending (at UBCO), but I HATE playing sports...  I saw that there is soccer, volleyball, hockey, basketball, and a few other torture techniques...  Is participation expected or could I slyly get away with sitting on the sidelines watching?

Thanks again!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
They won't make you play sports. Destination UBC is super inclusive, they're there to convince you to go to UBC, they want you to be as comfortable as possible. I would highly recommend you attend Destination, they do a lot of cool activities.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey anna,

I'm not too sure how familiar you are with engineering, but what are your thoughts on Engineering Physics?

I hear good things about it; you can specialize in Electrical, Mech, Aero, Bio, after 2nd year of the program?

And it's good at preparing for grad school

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
I am in Engineering, so I know the faculty reasonably well. I, personally, would never choose Engineering Physics, but that's just me.

I may be wrong about this (so talk to an Engineering Physics representative before making any choices) but UBC doesn't offer any specifically aerospace courses (I'm sure there's a lot of crossover with fluid dynamics, but you can't specialize in it). You can specialize in some of the ones you listed, but why would you want to take an extra intense degree and take courses you're not interested in when you could go into one of those programs (Mech, Elec, etc) and get to dig deeper into the subject and take more courses relevant to those interests?

I would argue it's no better at preparing you for grad school than any other Engineering program (in fact, it may be worse). For grad school you need to have a certain competitive average. If you're taking six plus courses a term, you're less likely to maintain a good average than someone who is taking less than that (as is the case for most other engineering disciplines). 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

To be honest, if I were to just choose one specialty after first year I would have no idea what to do!

I was initially really interested in the Engineering Science program at University of Toronto but I didn't get in, so it seems like Engineering Physics is basically like it.

I am interested in all fields of Engineering, except maybe Chem Eng (chem is my achilles heel), and I want to most likely go to grad school for engineering afterwards. 

Which engineering discipline are you in? And how do you like it? Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
To be honest, if I were to just choose one specialty after first year I would have no idea what to do!
Trust me, you say that now, but after a general year you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're interested in.

Also, don't be hell bent on getting into Engineering Physics. It's one of the hardest programs to get into as you have to maintain an exceptionally high average to be considered.

I'm in Computer Engineering, and I really like it. There's tons of opportunity in the industry and there are a lot of great courses I can take at UBC.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi, I'm currently completing my second year of university at USask and am interested in transferring to UBC. I've been accepted into their science program as a second year for this coming Fall/Winter session. I haven't declared a major yet as I've been completing the prerequisites to get into pharmacy. I'm considering transferring to be classified as a BC resident for pharmacy applications but also to complete prerequisites to get into their dietetics program (which I've very recently gained an interest in). I know you're in engineering but I was wondering if you had any insight to how popular FNH/LFS courses are? I'm worried that I won't be able to secure a spot in those as I didn't apply to be in the LFS program.

Also, what kind of opportunities are there in terms of volunteering? I have quite a few here that I'm hesitant to let go of (i.e. student-run clinic, peer mentor).

Would it be more difficult to make friends since I won't be starting from first year?

Which residences would you recommend?

What is the atmosphere at UBC like in terms of a student's academic and social life? Is it as cut throat as people claim larger universities tend to be?

I apologize for bombarding you with questions but I don't want to make the wrong choice and have to move back. Feel free to add anything else that you feel would be relevant in regards to transferring to UBC, or even to moving to a city/province that's foreign to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
On the popularity of LFS/FNH courses:
I don't know how fast they fill up, but most LFS courses still have seats available in them as of today (I check the UBC Registration portal) and FNH courses mostly still seem to have seats available (with the exception of some fourth year courses, which is standard). But, keep in mind a lot of these courses are restricted to LFS students, so you might not be able to take them if you're in science.

On volunteering:
There are lots of volunteer opportunities available at UBC. Way too many to list. I have friends who volunteer at clinics, hospitals, kids sports leagues, as trainers, etc.

On making friends:
It will be a bit more challenging, but if you put effort into it, it shouldn't be that bad. Go to faculty events, talk to people in your classes, put in the effort.

On residences:
In terms of residences, APPLY EARLY. If you're going for Winter Residence, it's a lottery system (that results in a 4000+ person wait list). If you're going for Year Round Residence, if you haven't applied before January of the same year you'd be starting school, don't hold your breath on residence.

On the atmosphere:
In my specialization, the atmosphere is pretty laid back in terms of competitiveness. When I was in science, however, it was much more cut throat and toxic (mostly because everyone wanted to get into Med/Pharm/Dental etc)
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi,
I am thinking about taking calculus online at VLN and have to finish in two months. I took precal last year and not taking any math course this year. if I decide to take it online, and end up with a terrible grade or decide to drop out, is it going to affect my admission to UBC in any way? Do you think should I do it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
I don't know what VLN is. If it's an official BC education program, then if you end up with a terrible grade it can affect your admissions. I would strongly recommend that you take Calculus before coming here, it'll make your life a lot easier before you take first year math.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hey i am a student from nepal interested in mechanical engineering program. So can you please help me with my application and applying process in this college. I would appreciate if you could help because right there is just chaos everywhere
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
I've been to Nepal! 

In order to go into UBC Mechanical Engineering, you have to do a general first year in Engineering. You apply for Engineering at UBC here:
https://account.you.ubc.ca/ubc/apply/apply_now.ezc

The steps in there are fairly self explanatory and if you need further help, reach out to an Admissions Official at UBC so they can give you the answers tailored to your education system.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

if i take calculus and get a mark lower than my PC12 mark.. would UBC look at that and consider it as one of the main subjects?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
If it's way off from your admissions average, they might, but otherwise they'll just look at the admissions subjects for the faculty you're applying to.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I've been accepted to ubc, so what would i need to do in order to keep the offer?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Read the offer letter, do what it tells you
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hello Anna, I believe myself among many other applicants who still have the notice of "thank you for self reporting... we will now evaluate your academic profile alongside with your personal profile.... we hope to give you a decision by April 15..." Is it possible that we haven't heard back yet because it is a holiday weekend? Also, approximately when does UBC stop sending offers? Its nearing the end of april soon and i'm awfully worried
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
It might be because of the holiday weekend or they might just be behind schedule. They said "we hope to give you a decision by April 15" which gives them room for adjustments. They send out offers through the summer (for people who were on the wait list). Don't stress about it, just hold tight.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi, for UBC:  "Final grade of 70% in Grade 11 or Grade 12 English (or equivalent course, including provincial examinations where applicable)."...
- do both of my English grades(11&12) have to be above 70%? I got 69% in English 11, but if I do better in English 12(I'm planning to take it online) will my application still be considered for admission to UBC?
thank you so much!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
It depends what the timeline of your application is. If you're taking English 12 in the summer before grade 12? English 11 probably won't matter. If you're finishing English 12 any time after December of your grade 12 year you run the risk of them using your English 11 grade as a placeholder in your admissions average.
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Does UBC offer mechatronics program?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
It's a subprogram of MECH (so you do a general first year, and then either in second or third year you specialize in mechatronics). If you want strictly mechatronics, try Waterloo.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

How difficult is it to do an internal transfer? I'm planning on doing an internal transfer from arts to sciences, but have no clue as what percentage I need for my first year grades.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
I've only transferred from science to engineering, but it depends on what kind of transfer you're doing. Are you transferring from first year arts to first year science? Are you trying to switch directly into a specialty in science? These are all factors for how high your percentage should be.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I plan to transfer from first year arts to second year sciences and potentially majoring in biology right after.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Biology isn't a hard major to get into. As long as your keep your grades up, that shouldn't be a hard transfer to make.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Did anyone get accepted after being put on June 15 waitlist?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
People do get accepted, but it's more of a trickle. You should have a back up plan and don't rely on getting a UBC offer
Was this helpful? Yes 1

I just got my offer on June 9! Hell of a wait but I hope you get your offer by June 15!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Which program did you get accepted to? What's your average?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm really, really, really confused about my course registration for first year engineering.

I looked at the standard time tables and they show 6 classes per term. So I'm guessing 6 classes per term is necessary unless I want to take classes in the summer right?

But I also read on the SSC somewhere that English 112 or its equivalent is needed and should be taken first year. How would that fit in? Do I have to take 7 classes for one term? I don't think I can survive that.

Thanks in advance Anna!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Yep, you have to add courses to the STT. I've included a link with the first year curriculum. If you don't want to take/ can't afford summer courses, then yes, to stay on track to graduate in four years you might have seven courses in a semester. That's engineering. If you can afford to do summer courses, take one or two out of your schedule and take them in the summer (but make sure they are offering them in the summer). Ultimately, you need to take enough courses to be eligible for second year (or else you're going to get stuck in a weird credit limbo where you will end up wasting your time).

http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/Vancouver/index.cfm?tree=12,195,272,33
Was this helpful? Yes 2

Hey anna

So, i was recently accepted to applied science @ ubc. I was wondering if I have to register for the courses when registration opens or if I just need to make a schedule. one of my friends told me that since i am first year i do not need to register for some reason. im not sure if i worded my question correctly because im not very familiar with this stuff yet. hope my question made sense.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
You should have several worklists made and your should be registering the minute your registration opens (courses fill crazy fast). You need to register, your friend gave you poor advice. First you make worklists (so you pick an STT and add the other required courses for first year like English) and then at your registration time you register that worklist.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

hello anna!  I just got an offer of admission into UBC Bachelor of Arts a couple days ago, its very late, I know... Anyways Im just wondering what is the discrepancy ratio like for UBC to revoke your offer? I've been struggling to maintain my grades for the third term of school and now I've been working as hard has ever to fix it back up. I know UBC doesnt like to revoke people but I'm just scared that this will happen to me
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Congrats! It should tell you in your offer letter.
Was this helpful? Yes 1

Hi I've been flip-flopping on what i've wanted to do and now it's really just choosing a program that will better place me in the future, from your experiences and what you've heard what would you say about students who graduate with an arts degree(psych) vs. a forestry degree(preferably resource management)? As i've said i've given both programs a shot and am neutral to both but would more rather finish off the degree with a higher "end" pay. 

Thanks for your feedback.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anna T Anna T
Have you taken a look at what careers are available for each degree? Forestry is sometimes easier to get a job with, but it depends on how the industry is doing when you graduate (it's very up and down). A psych degree probably won't get you far unless you do undergraduate research (which is super difficult to get into). If you want a pure career in psych, you'll probably have to get a Masters and/or PhD. 

Also, if you're only neutral on both, maybe you should look into other options you would be more passionate about. If you don't like your degree, four years is going to be a grind. I've said it before and I'll say it again, you should pick a degree/career based on your interests not based on prestige or money; that's a quick way to waste a degree and end up unfulfilled. 
Was this helpful? Yes 1