yconic - Current UWO AEO1/MIT student, ask me any questions.
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current UWO AEO1/MIT student, ask me any questions.

A photo of ecabby ecabby
Hi there!

I am in my 1st year at Western and I am in the Media Information and Technoculture faculty with Ivey AEO status. I remember last year stressing a lot over getting into Western, especially AEO so let me know if I can help you guys out by answering any of your questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
9 replies

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1
Hi, my question is if you know what the specific differences between Western's political science program and international relations program are. I am applying for AEO and have already put in a BMOS application to Western, but want to put a second application as I would rather do something else in the first two years, however I can't really tell what the differences between the PS and IR programs are. Do you know any AEOs/past-AEOs who were in either program? Have you heard anything about them?

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TruthfulTruist TruthfulTruist
Hi,

I'm a political science at UWO with AEO. IR is more difficult than poli sci and incorporates more history than just pure political science. It is largely based on your personal preference as to what you want to study.

Note* you won't be studying IR in first year. It is a second year program that you declare after your first year. In first year, you would be studying general political science & history, and then taking IR specific courses in second year.

Regards,
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Augustus1 Augustus1

@TruthfulTruist wrote
Hi,

I'm a political science at UWO with AEO. IR is more difficult than poli sci and incorporates more history than just pure political science. It is largely based on your personal preference as to what you want to study.

Note* you won't be studying IR in first year. It is a second year program that you declare after your first year. In first year, you would be studying general political science & history, and then taking IR specific courses in second year.

Regards,

Oh okay. What kinds of courses and how many are mandatory in the poli sci program? What overall reputation does the program have at Western? Is it considered easier than BMOS?

I think I will put Poli Sci on OUAC, though I'm still kind of confused if IR isn't available until 2nd year why it's an option on OUAC.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mickyick mickyick
hi! out of curiousity, what career do you want to pursue with your MIT / HBA degree?
I want to pursue a career in advertising and I'm wondering if the dual degree will be useful for that, or if I should just go for MTP.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Redprince Redprince
Hi ecabby,

I was just wondering. If you are doing a dual degree, do you have to do extra work?

Thanks you very much for your help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby
hey sorry for the super late response, don't check this site much anymore.

I am interested in going into advertising and am planning at interning at a toronto advertising firm this summer, to be honest MIT is very theory oriented and if you are interested in the creative side of advertising and not the accounts side than MTP would be more practical. I am currently leaning away from the HBA degree as it is hard to maintain the average while in the MIT program because of the grade cap and I have heard from older students that the Ivey approach to advertising is very traditional. HBA is better for I banking and accounting but the prestige of the degree is something that is always good to have, Ivey HBA grads have a much higher starting salary than almost any other undergraduate degree.

The combination degree I have heard is very challenging, especially since MIT and HBA are such different programs. Many MIT students just do the first 2 MIT years and switch to HBA

let me know if you have any other questions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TegtheCoolDude TegtheCoolDude
What was your average in grade 12 to get an AEO?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ecabby ecabby

@TegtheCoolDude wrote
What was your average in grade 12 to get an AEO?

89% but one of my friends got in with an 87% and what I consider to be average extra-curriculars
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of greatwallpaul greatwallpaul
I'm applying for the same thing. What is the biggest surprise to you with the MIT curriculum? How difficult is MIT?

BTW, just visited my friends at western the other weekend. Told me it was all a bunch of girls in the program...good or bad thing? :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0