yconic - Current UWO BMOS/AEO 1 Student here for any questions
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current UWO BMOS/AEO 1 Student here for any questions

A photo of Serendipity Serendipity
I know this is a stressful time for everyone, heck I was stressed this time last year.

Been through the whole gauntlet of Canadian/US applications and can answer questions about both.

Was this helpful? Yes 0
23 replies

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew
Did you successfully get admitted into any of the US programs? If yes, why did you choose Western? :cat:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of sherrybloosm sherrybloosm

@onlymatthew wrote
Did you successfully get admitted into any of the US programs? If yes, why did you choose Western? :cat:

+1.I met a guy at Western who was waitlisted for Harvard, yet he ended up here (Western).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of DarkDragon9906 DarkDragon9906
When applying, how much importance was given to your extracurricular activities? Is having two to three general extracurricular activities enough or does a student have to extensive extracurriculars?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@onlymatthew wrote

NYU, UT Austin, USC, Cornell Eng. It is extremely expensive for school in the US and being Canadian kills your chances at financial aid. For NYU you are looking at about 60k/year tuition and 15k/year living expenses.

Western offered me huge amounts of financial aid so I'm going to school and living free for my first two years :) If you want to know more about my application experiences/stats feel free to pm me.

@Darkdragon9906 wrote
When applying, how much importance was given to your extracurricular activities? Is having two to three general extracurricular activities enough or does a student have to extensive extracurriculars?

Quite a bit, ECs compose 50% of the weighting of the Ivey application I believe. It's more about depth than the spread of your ECs. i.e. It's better to be president and have done a bunch of cool stuff than be a member of 5 different clubs. Executive positions are everything, membership means nothing.

@sherrybloosm wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

+1.I met a guy at Western who was waitlisted for Harvard, yet he ended up here (Western).

I think I know this guy, isn't he at Saugeen? B-Lower?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of maynards maynards
hey, we know that Queens Commerce has around 5000 applicants a year. do you have a rough estimate of how many people apply for Ivey AEO status each year?

Also, why did you pick Ivey over QC?

thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@maynards wrote
hey, we know that Queens Commerce has around 5000 applicants a year. do you have a rough estimate of how many people apply for Ivey AEO status each year?

Also, why did you pick Ivey over QC?

thanks

Very similar, I volunteered at fall preview day at UWO and I had a ton of people ask me about Ivey this year. I'd probably say 6-7 thousand applicants is usual. I'd ask Richard (the Ivey recruiter on these forums) for more details.

I have some friends that are currently working in the industry and they all believed that the Ivey brand name was much stronger in Canada. I also really liked the case study method (you'll see it in Business 1220E first year if you take it) and felt that it would better prepare myself for a career in management consulting.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Serendipity wrote

@onlymatthew wrote

I think I know this guy, isn't he at Saugeen? B-Lower?

I'm not sure which rez he's from. I met him in my calc class. Is this guy you know by any chance from the States?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chickenfingerlove chickenfingerlove
How do you like your MOS professor? I've heard some pretty bad things about him.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chickenfingerlove wrote
How do you like your MOS professor? I've heard some pretty bad things about him.

O'brien is actually one of my favourite profs. So insightful. I looked forward to MOS class every week.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm contemplating on applying. I dislike the 2+2, and the case study. What are your opinions on it? And how is Financial Modelling instead of MOS?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@chickenfingerlove wrote

JOB makes me want to fall asleep, I ended up going to his classes and making up my own classnotes while pseudo-listening to him.

Tests have been brutal, first midterm killed everyone (think it was low 60s average).

@2Seven wrote
I'm contemplating on applying. I dislike the 2+2, and the case study. What are your opinions on it? And how is Financial Modelling instead of MOS?

Well, Ivey is completely based off of case study learning. If you dislike it try checking out Queen's Commerce/Rotman where they put much more emphasis on lecture learning.

FinMod is really difficult math. Have friends that took it coming from IB Mathematics HL and are having trouble in their second year. However, if you are looking towards a career in the S&T side of things FinMod is good.

However, I'd really recommend applying. It doesn't hurt and it's always good to have more options on the table. The AEO program is solid and Ivey is a great brand name to have on your resume.

@sherrybloosm wrote

@chickenfingerlove wrote

O'brien is actually one of my favourite profs. So insightful. I looked forward to MOS class every week.

O_O I've seriously never seen a person enjoy JOB. To each his/her own I guess lol. *EDIT* failureatdetectingobvioussarcasmisobvious
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Subtle Subtle
Are you kidding me? ^

I love JOB; the way he carries himself around that lecture hall at Nat Sci, it's so... extravagant.

And did I mention the way he says "right" or "ok" after every sentence? Oh my.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Subtle wrote
Are you kidding me? ^

I love JOB; the way he carries himself around that lecture hall at Nat Sci, it's so... extravagant.

And did I mention the way he says "right" or "ok" after every sentence? Oh my.

I agree with Subtle. I can't get enough of JOB.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zivdeu zivdeu
Hey so I have two main questions, first of all after getting AEo how hard is it to keep the minimum 80%, also how big is the difference (in terms of how much harder/easier it is) between doing the first two years at main campus vs one of the colleges, i heard lots of aeo go to huron for easy marks? last thing how hard is it to not get distracted and stay focused (balancing social life and academics along with extra curriculars)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@zivdeu wrote
Hey so I have two main questions, first of all after getting AEo how hard is it to keep the minimum 80%, also how big is the difference (in terms of how much harder/easier it is) between doing the first two years at main campus vs one of the colleges, i heard lots of aeo go to huron for easy marks? last thing how hard is it to not get distracted and stay focused (balancing social life and academics along with extra curriculars)

Maintaining an 80 average isn't as easy as it seems. My courses aren't that difficult (except for critical thinking), so I don't see a problem for me (well, in first year at least). But nevertheless, it's definitely harder to meet the conditions of AEO status, than to get the AEO status.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Windsongs4 Windsongs4
How do you like the MOS program? Do you recommend taking it instead of something else not business related?

Also - how is western? do you like living there? do you have quiet spaces etc. or is it always partying? (btw- was it hard to get to know people like you/same interests etc. or did it not take long?)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@Windsongs4 wrote
How do you like the MOS program? Do you recommend taking it instead of something else not business related?

Also - how is western? do you like living there? do you have quiet spaces etc. or is it always partying? (btw- was it hard to get to know people like you/same interests etc. or did it not take long?)

I'd take something that isn't BMOS. Econ is a good choice. BMOS is essentially the mentally challenged brother of the Ivey program.

As for UWO, I'd aim for a suite style residence. Living on a quiet floor is actually good because you can study/work in your room in peace and go drinking/partying on other floors.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

Bump, a lot of you guys have been pming me about certain questions, it's probably easier if you just ask me here so lurkers/everyone can get their answers at the same time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of futureCA futureCA
Serendipity, funny you should call BMOS the "mentally challenged" brother of the Ivey program, when in reality they are very different in many ways. First of all 25k vs 6k tuition, not everyone has the ability to take on so much debt, especially for an undergrad degree. Why take on 50k of undergrad debt and then up to god knows how much for an MBA if you plan on doing one. And the BMOS program gives you a bit more of a varied experience than a pure HBA.

There are a few advantages other than the monetary difference. BMOS has less focus on class participation, I don't know about you but I prefer 15% participation grades compared to 30 - 40% in Ivey. Also with a smaller emphasis on the case method in BMOS (only a few courses make case study's a priority) you are less likely to get screwed over by getting a hard marker, and this will lead to less appeals on grades you receive, at least that is how my roommates explained it to me (both are in Ivey y2 right now). Another thing I think is a great advantage is that if you are pursuing a CA designation, you will not need to take any courses in the summer with BMOS, which allows you to get working faster to bring in some cash.

I will say this though, the corporate connections and ability to get into top investment banks and prestigious consulting firms is definitely the major bonus of going to Ivey, but very few kids get these jobs. Think about it, there are about 500 - 700 (rough estimate) kids at Ivey, and the top firms recruit internationally, how many do you think get their dream job coming out of Ivey? One thing I have been jealous of is that Ivey adjusts their grades to an 80 avg. as opposed to the average in a BMOS course being somewhere between 68 - 74, so if you are only an average student it will look much better coming out of Ivey.

I really don't mean to rag on Ivey, but it is people like you Serendipity that give Ivey kids the reputation of being elitist losers, when that really isn't the case for the most part. There are many people in BMOS that aren't just their because they didn't get in to Ivey, no matter what you want to believe (although in my case that is what happened lol, but I have a job at the big four for when I graduate so I am actually very happy I didn't spend 50k on my undergrad).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of onlymatthew onlymatthew

@futureCA wrote

I really don't mean to rag on Ivey, but it is people like you Serendipity that give Ivey kids the reputation of being elitist losers, when that really isn't the case for the most part.

I hardly think that a first year MOS student posting on an online forum is the greatest source of that reputation...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

clearly he isn't the source of the reputation, but if you read my post, I assume you did because you quoted it, it says "people like you", meaning kids that think they are the crap ever since HS and make dumb comments like that, not realizing that maybe someone is in BMOS because they don't have that kind of money, and saying the program is the mentally challenged brother of Ivey, even if on an online forum is a stupid thing to do. It also doesn't help many of the people who come to this site when trying to decide where to apply.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@futureCA wrote
meaning kids that think they are the crap

haha gotta love the auto censor.
Was this helpful? Yes 0