yconic - Current UW/WLU double degree student
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current UW/WLU double degree student

A photo of spock100 spock100
I'm in the BBA/BCS double degree program..feel free to ask any questions, I can probably help out with BBA/Bmath questions, since we pretty much have the same first year courses
Was this helpful? Yes 0
51 replies

A photo of AZK AZK
why is the lauier admission office always closed? XD
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
I currently have a 92.3 average how good are my chances to get into the BBA/BCS program at WLU?

I have 5 grade 12 courses done

Was this helpful? Yes 0

they're always closed...its not even funny how much they spam your mailbox when you actually get here with useless info...

92.3 is competitive; I got into the program with a 93 in early march
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of IanSharer IanSharer
Any comments on the workload? Rough idea of how many hours a week you spend in class, studying, assignments, etc...

Any regrets?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@IanSharer wrote
Any comments on the workload? Rough idea of how many hours a week you spend in class, studying, assignments, etc...

Any regrets?

I'll toss a few of my own answers out there too.

I've found this semester to be a lot tougher personally. My nights are late quite often, but I enjoy it. Assignments (depending on how good you are) will generally take from 3-8 hours. Class is 15-17 hours / week, studying is basically up to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@noxx98 wrote

@IanSharer wrote

Any regrets?

I'll toss a few of my own answers out there too.

I've found this semester to be a lot tougher personally. My nights are late quite often, but I enjoy it. Assignments (depending on how good you are) will generally take from 3-8 hours. Class is 15-17 hours / week, studying is basically up to you.

Thanks. How much free time do you generally have? My biggest fear, and probably for most others as well, is the workload.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@AZK wrote
I currently have a 92.3 average how good are my chances to get into the BBA/BCS program at WLU?

I have 5 grade 12 courses done

I was accepted early May to WLU with an 88. You should be good.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AZK AZK
what are the co-op opportunities like for Laurier BBA/BSC students? Are they computer science based or business based? Is the co-op at Laurier comparable to co-op at Waterloo?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of immaculatedx immaculatedx

@AZK wrote
what are the co-op opportunities like for Laurier BBA/BSC students? Are they computer science based or business based? Is the co-op at Laurier comparable to co-op at Waterloo?

For CS DD ? Waterloo is 100000x better for coop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of FunnyBone FunnyBone
What would you consider a late night? As in, do you stay up until 2, or until 4am?

How are your BBA Courses? Are they tough?
Are they mostly papers to hand in, or group presentations?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@FunnyBone wrote
What would you consider a late night? As in, do you stay up until 2, or until 4am?

Late night, as in 'all-nighters' during exams, and around 4 am for CS assignments/1 am for math assignments

Nope, assignments/LABS are only worth 40%, the rest 60% is allocated towards the midterm/final exams..
The business midterm is 3 and a half hours long, and the final is 3 hours..The bu111 midterm was hard, but the final was a piece of cake.
We wrote the bu121 final on saturday, and I actually found it a bit hard (especially considering that no one I know got their balance sheet to 'balance')
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@FunnyBone wrote

Late night, as in 'all-nighters' during exams, and around 4 am for CS assignments/1 am for math assignments

Nope, assignments/LABS are only worth 40%, the rest 60% is allocated towards the midterm/final exams..
The business midterm is 3 and a half hours long, and the final is 3 hours..The bu111 midterm was hard, but the final was a piece of cake.
We wrote the bu121 final on saturday, and I actually found it a bit hard (especially considering that no one I know got their balance sheet to 'balance')
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unibound3355 unibound3355
wats ur average work and class time on just a regular day compared to a normal bba student?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CanadaBoy CanadaBoy
Do you have any idea of the GPA spread in the DD program (CS/BBA)? On a 4.3 scale if you have it, otherwise anything is okay.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@CanadaBoy wrote
Do you have any idea of the GPA spread in the DD program (CS/BBA)? On a 4.3 scale if you have it, otherwise anything is okay.

The highest person in DD, that Im aware of, has a 99.7% average or 12.0 GPA. Not sure about just CS. The lowest would probably be failing or getting ready to drop out. Most tend to sit around 75% - 85% to my knowledge. Dropping out is quite common - the drop rate is 50%. This doesn't mean people drop out of uni, they just go down to math or BBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@unibound3355 wrote
wats ur average work and class time on just a regular day compared to a normal bba student?

Class time is the same. Work time would be quite a bit higher, for first year in particular, where math/cs assignments can add between 10-20 hours per week of additional work easily.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waterlooser waterlooser
AFAIK, it's easier to get a higher mark in WLU courses from the waterloo side because getting an 87 (or lower-bound of A+) in WLU standards automatically translates to a 95 on waterloo transcript? not sure though

drop rate is very high in this program
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What sort of jobs are popular among DDers? Do you think the DD program provides any benefit in obtaining such jobs over business grads from Ivey/Queens?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote
What sort of jobs are popular among DDers? Do you think the DD program provides any benefit in obtaining such jobs over business grads from Ivey/Queens?

Sales&Trading, Actuarial Sciencce, Business Analyst jobs, etc.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@immaculatedx wrote

@IanSharer wrote

So besides these quantitative heavy finance jobs, would the DD provide any real benefit over regular business grads from target business schools?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of apark17 apark17
are my chances of getting in good? 94-95 avg predicted with decent ECs..

and some questions.. is waterloo math really really that hard?
how is the business side? hard?
is it still possible to get my CA if i do DD instead of math/ca?

thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@IanSharer wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@IanSharer wrote

So besides these quantitative heavy finance jobs, would the DD provide any real benefit over regular business grads from target business schools?

Obviously if you're goal is straight out to go iBanking, obviously Queens/Ivey would be better, but DD could be potentially pay off more in the future for the industry especially if you get a brand-name MBA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
When did all of you current students get accepted?
Was it a long time between getting accepted from WLU and UW?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of noxx98 noxx98

@immaculatedx wrote

@IanSharer wrote

@immaculatedx wrote

@IanSharer wrote

Obviously if you're goal is straight out to go iBanking, obviously Queens/Ivey would be better, but DD could be potentially pay off more in the future for the industry especially if you get a brand-name MBA.

This basically.

DD gives you a helluva lot of options. You can go wherever the hell you want with it. You are in a top notch program, just because it isn't Ivey or Queens doesn't mean you can't go into IB jobs. There are no limitations as long as you are willing to put the effort into it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0