yconic - Current Western Social Sci Students?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Current Western Social Sci Students?

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Are there any current Western social sci students on SA? I have a few questions to ask!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
20 replies

A photo of beyondsection17 beyondsection17
I can put you in contact with some sophs I know who are in social sci if you want, they're pretty awesome people who would be glad to answer any faculty-specific questions you have. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Social science is such a broad faculty that you can really call anyone a social science student. I know quite a bit about one social science department: psychology.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clarab clarab
I'm also a current social sci student :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

What courses did you guys take 1st year, and which profs do you recommend?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oops. In my above post I meant to say, "Social science is such a broad faculty that you CAN'T really call anyone a social science student."

I took first-year psych as my non-science elective in first year. Interesting course, and I actually felt more intelligent after taking it. "Dr Mike" Atkinson is the prof people typically recommend for that course. It's not uncommon that you'll hear people say he was the best prof they've ever had.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Oops. In my above post I meant to say, "Social science is such a broad faculty that you CAN'T really call anyone a social science student."

I took first-year psych as my non-science elective in first year. Interesting course, and I actually felt more intelligent after taking it. "Dr Mike" Atkinson is the prof people typically recommend for that course. It's not uncommon that you'll hear people say he was the best prof they've ever had.

Psych with Dr. Mike +11111111
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31i2H-uO2oU&feature=channel_video_title
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Dr Mike (and Felix Lee, a chem prof at UWO) used to contribute to this forum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Dr Mike (and Felix Lee, a chem prof at UWO) used to contribute to this forum.

Ahh I'm sad I missed that! Felix Lee is the best chem prof ever, closely followed by Kay Calvin :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clarab clarab
Poli Sci with Nig/Jonessss!!!!

They are both great. Jones is just hilarious and Nig is the nicest guy, wants every student to do well in the course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mvplayur mvplayur

@clarab wrote
Poli Sci with Nig/Jonessss!!!!

They are both great. Jones is just hilarious and Nig is the nicest guy, wants every student to do well in the course.

can you maintain an 80 average in the poli sci stream?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Emaad13 Emaad13
^ same question. Is it hard to maintain an average of +80%?
Do you have any tips as to how a student should study for poli sci courses?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I am sure maintaining an average of 80% for poli sci is possible if you put the amount of work and effort into it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Considering that, as an AEO student, you should be ahead of the game, an 80 shouldn't be a problem if you really want it. And you have the luxury of being able to take pretty much whatever courses you want, so, yeah... definitely manageable.

Think of it this way: the average person ends up with like a 70% average, but you're an AEO student, so you're smarter/more capable than the average student. Furthermore, the average student doesn't really care that much... obviously he wants to do as well as he possibly can, but it isn't a requirement for him to get much better than a 70% average. And finally, the average student usually can't just take whatever courses he pleases. If he wanted to get an 80 average, he wouldn't be able to just take a whole bunch of bird courses to do so. For those reasons, I think very few AEO students lose their AEO status. That you're already concerned about it really makes me doubt that you'd be one of those very few.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of clarab clarab
Yep, I maintained an 80 average in the poli sci stream, it was hard work, but I managed it.

It's all about how well you write essays really- if they're not your thing, then it could be harder to maintain an 80, but if you're good at them then it shouldn't be much of a problem!
First year poli sci exams are annoying though- 140 multiple choice in 2 hours. You get bored halfway through and get sick of filling in the scantron. But they're not too hard- if you study you will do well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of akbadak akbadak
I just finished first year social sci, going into poli sci, if you have any questions msg me, I'd reccomend proffesor Nig for poli sci, take Classics if you're into Greek and Roman history and mythology (I loved it but i slacked off so I did horrible lol), and a warning: if you want to take Business 1220 (not a pre-req for Ivey btw) make sure you don't have courses with a lot of essays or massive reading/homework, because that class keeps you busy, but is extremely unique and fun at the same time.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of akbadak akbadak

Considering that, as an AEO student, you should be ahead of the game, an 80 shouldn't be a problem if you really want it. And you have the luxury of being able to take pretty much whatever courses you want, so, yeah... definitely manageable.

Think of it this way: the average person ends up with like a 70% average, but you're an AEO student, so you're smarter/more capable than the average student. Furthermore, the average student doesn't really care that much... obviously he wants to do as well as he possibly can, but it isn't a requirement for him to get much better than a 70% average. And finally, the average student usually can't just take whatever courses he pleases. If he wanted to get an 80 average, he wouldn't be able to just take a whole bunch of bird courses to do so. For those reasons, I think very few AEO students lose their AEO status. That you're already concerned about it really makes me doubt that you'd be one of those very few.

That's true, but I saw a lot of AEOs drop their marks significantly in first year, enough that they know they are going to lose their status. However, if you stress time management then you'll be fine.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
I'm actually in Health Sci, but my second major is in Sociology. If you're considering classes outside of Social Sci, consider taking first year Health Sci. It's basically like Social Science with a little health and Biology added in. Quite interesting. Most people are scared of Prof. Kim Luton. She teaches first year Soc. She's awesome. A really great prof. That being said, if you're planning on taking Psych, design your schedule around Dr. Mike's course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of emotycka emotycka
I'm actually in Health Sci, but my second major is in Sociology. If you're considering classes outside of Social Sci, consider taking first year Health Sci. It's basically like Social Science with a little health and Biology added in. Quite interesting. Most people are scared of Prof. Kim Luton. She teaches first year Soc. She's awesome. A really great prof. That being said, if you're planning on taking Psych, design your schedule around Dr. Mike's course.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of rosierad rosierad
I have heard awesome things about Dr. Mike, so I'm stoked to take his class. What is his teaching style like and is he tough to gets high mark from? I am going into psychology next year and any info or tips on professors, program, or anything else is greatly appreciated!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0