yconic - Dalhousie, UTSG, UBC or Queen's?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Dalhousie, UTSG, UBC or Queen's?

A photo of Commando3200 Commando3200
Hi all,

I've been admitted for undergraduate studies in Life Sciences in all of those schools (except Queen's, still waiting :compress:).

Which school would it be best to study at in order to have the highest chance on being admitted to Med School later, I'm sort of leaning to UTSG because I like the city and I feel that I would enjoy studying there.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
7 replies

A photo of littleroom littleroom
You can do well at UTSG, but it won't be easy. Maintaining a good GPA here is stressful, and given your aspirations to go to medical school, the other schools might be better choices.

Posts are probably going to follow soon warning you about how horrible UTSG is and how you should stay away at all costs, but take them with a grain of salt. Again, you can do well. I know many that are.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sheldore Sheldore
It honestly depends on the type of person you are. If your the social person who spent most of their time skipping useless high school classes and chilling with your friends in the caf then UTSG isn't the place for you. If your the studious kid who really has an interest in science that UTSG is your spot. Me personally, I have no idea WTF I want to do with my life, I just want to enjoy it though, I don't like the idea of dragging along for 4 years in UTSG life sciences slaving for a 3.5 gpa. Hindsights 20/20 though, I thought at UTSG I would pull in good grades and keep up with my friends and the social part of youth. Its really tough to balance it at UTSG. So in all honesty it depends on the type of person you are, if your one of the Bill Nye's of society than you most likely will enjoy UTSG. If your just a young confused youth and aren't sure what you want but enjoy learning about sciences than UTSG isn't your best bet.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sheldore wrote
It honestly depends on the type of person you are. If your the social person who spent most of their time skipping useless high school classes and chilling with your friends in the caf then UTSG isn't the place for you. If your the studious kid who really has an interest in science that UTSG is your spot. Me personally, I have no idea WTF I want to do with my life, I just want to enjoy it though, I don't like the idea of dragging along for 4 years in UTSG life sciences slaving for a 3.5 gpa. Hindsights 20/20 though, I thought at UTSG I would pull in good grades and keep up with my friends and the social part of youth. Its really tough to balance it at UTSG. So in all honesty it depends on the type of person you are, if your one of the Bill Nye's of society than you most likely will enjoy UTSG. If your just a young confused youth and aren't sure what you want but enjoy learning about sciences than UTSG isn't your best bet.

Based on this I think I'll probably do quite well at UTSG.

What comparisons can you make between UTSG and Queen's (assuming I'm accepted), because they're both my top choices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of elimede elimede
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but getting an 85% at UofT is equivalent to a 4.0 GPA. You might want to look into Queen's GPA weighing scheme.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@elimede wrote
I'm not sure if you're aware of this but getting an 85% at UofT is equivalent to a 4.0 GPA. You might want to look into Queen's GPA weighing scheme.

Yes, I am aware of that :). Queen's is slightly different where they work on a 4.3 grading scale and a 90% will be equivalent to an A+, which will equate to a 4.3.

However, if I'm not mistaken, this is irrelevant when applying to Med School as they use the OMSAS scale. It's probably going to be changed next year due to the new grading scale being implemented at Queen's. According to that scale, 90% is a 4.00.

Or am I wrong? :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Sean1218 Sean1218
Curious, what's your average? I'm waiting on Queens science as well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Sean1218 wrote
Curious, what's your average? I'm waiting on Queens science as well.

I go by IB points, so I doubt it would be of much use.
Was this helpful? Yes 0