yconic - Data Management
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Data Management

A photo of Xizeta Xizeta
How challenging is this course? Is there a lot of work involved?

Could you juxtapose just how challenging this course was to others? Please and thanks.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of link link
I found it to be harder than advanced functions and calculus. You just have to get your mind in a certain position and start thinking a little differently than in the other math courses to be able to do well.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of gebraroest gebraroest
well lets put it this way, i got 95 in data and 80 in adv function and 75 in calculus, i didn't study for any of the tests either. In my opinion its a joke course/average booster. the material is pretty interesting though
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Bossofbosses Bossofbosses
It all depends on the teacher. Personally, my school taught this course like it was a joke, and I ended up getting 98%.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anpan anpan

@Bossofbosses wrote
It all depends on the teacher. Personally, my school taught this course like it was a joke, and I ended up getting 98%.

It definitely depends on the school and teacher. People in my data class dropped like flies because they thought it was a joke, and ended up getting 70's and under. But all math courses are apparently challenging at my school.

Anyway, you're better off asking someone who has taken it, or who has heard things about it, in your school. Generally speaking though, link is right - it's a different kind of thinking from AF and C&V. I can't compare it since I didn't take those. But I had to try to think kind of "out of the box" and/or use normal, common sense/logic to get around certain twists they gave to problems.

As for the amount of work, I'd say that it's the same as math - if you do your homework and learn how to do certain types of questions you should be okay. The only thing that was a lot of work, really, was the culminating activity which was creating and distributing a survey, then presenting the results.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of moodeline moodeline
Okay question for you all:

BC doesn't offer a math option like data management. I have taken the equivalent of advanced functions as well as IB math studies, but a course I want to get into in university requires data management.

Will having advanced functions override this? Like is it harder to get into? Do you need one before the other?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North

@moodeline wrote
Okay question for you all:

BC doesn't offer a math option like data management. I have taken the equivalent of advanced functions as well as IB math studies, but a course I want to get into in university requires data management.

Will having advanced functions override this? Like is it harder to get into? Do you need one before the other?

IB Math Studies has a bunch of the content of Data Management. At my school, they convert the Math Studies IB Level into an Ontario %grade for the Data Management course.

Which Program requires Data Management?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
I've never heard of any programing requiring specifically Data management. most require adv func and/or calc, some arts programs require any 4U math, so thats where data comes in.

Data was not challenging at all for me - I felt like my patience ran out everyday for that class.. But that's just my school : P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of zefyre zefyre
i found it pretty hard compared to calc and Adv functions. My teacher gave no part marks so I ended up failing but i dropped so whatever. I guess it reaelly depends on the teacher lol :P
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of chatmike chatmike
It's one of those courses where you need to do your homework and/or listen in class. If you're like me and math comes second nature to you, and you can generally guess what's going on even without knowing the unit, you'll struggle. Data has very new and specific detailing in the math and its a completely different language if you don't do your work. You can't just use intuition and common sense like in other math courses. Especially if you see things like [size=2]2[/size]C[size=2]5[/size] and you didn't come to class all month XD

So in conclusion, if you take it, do your work and you'll ace it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0