yconic - Daunting prospect of getting a loan
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Daunting prospect of getting a loan

A photo of Sabrina Sabrina
I'm the kind of person who likes seeing what they have and only spends what they see. That's why I'm uneasy about the prospect of getting a student loan. Its spending money that I don't have and I don't like the sounds of the interest rates or being burdened with student loans years after university. I know its unrealistic to avoid them because there's no way I can go through school without them but I'm uncertain about the whole process..
-Sabrina
Was this helpful? Yes 0
13 replies

This post was deleted

A photo of mcgonip mcgonip
I'm totally the same way i am very wary of how they all work and if im every going to be able to pay them off.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Is there a point to this? Or do you just want your 5 posts to get free money while spamming the rest of us?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ammoreault ammoreault
My advice is to apply for every scholarship you can, and then getting a loan. Post Secondary Education can change your life! You'll be given the chance to study something you're interested and also interact with others who are interested in the same thing. In short, a loan could be worth it in the end. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of atharani atharani
It is really daunting , the whole process. Especially the debt you may end up in, but education is probably your best investment, thinking about it like that kind of eases up the whole idea. Alot of universities provide bursaries and scholarships to help you out as well as saving accounts which means dedicating summers to working and putting money aside. In the end , its a sacrifice worth making because it will take you places :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 351351 351351
Maybe look for grants or bursaries instead? You don't have to pay those back right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of twiggins twiggins
it may be really scary. but thngs you can try are:

1. signing up for every bursary you know, and even search them online,

2. enter contests, even if you think you wont win they usually have a reward for even entering!

3. it depends on what age you are but you can start a bank account were however much money you put in, the governemtn will double it on each birthday until you are in college or universiy (18)

and just try not to fret about it, depending on what bank you are with there can be different and cheaper plans that you can look into.

good luck :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of breanneeagnew breanneeagnew

@ARMY101 wrote
Is there a point to this? Or do you just want your 5 posts to get free money while spamming the rest of us?

ARMY 101 ever think that people just need to talk to someone to calm their fears and to make things that are new and diffrent seem less imposing. I'm scared witless to change how I live, to depend on myself for once, and it makes it easier when I talk about it. I think this was just to have fears calmed.

breanneeagnew
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of vnguyen93 vnguyen93
There are some benefits to student loans. For example, if you come from a low-income family and you have a financial need, you could apply for bursaries that come along with the student loans.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of annikadenhollander777 annikadenhollander777
I am the same way; I only spend money on something if I know I can afford it without it chipping away at my security blanket (always having some money, just in case). But if you are really worried about it now, that is only a good sign. It just means that you will be truly dedicated to paying it back right away. Just make sure if you don't work during the school year, work your butt off during the 4 month break, and save save save. Just be conscious of what you spend your money on, because trust me, every penny does count. Don't always spoil yourself, even by going to the more expensive grocery store for example. It will be worth it in the end, because you will most likely get a better job than if you didn't attend university, and will therefore earn more money.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of breanneeagnew breanneeagnew

@annikadenhollander777 wrote
I am the same way; I only spend money on something if I know I can afford it without it chipping away at my security blanket (always having some money, just in case). But if you are really worried about it now, that is only a good sign. It just means that you will be truly dedicated to paying it back right away. Just make sure if you don't work during the school year, work your butt off during the 4 month break, and save save save. Just be conscious of what you spend your money on, because trust me, every penny does count. Don't always spoil yourself, even by going to the more expensive grocery store for example. It will be worth it in the end, because you will most likely get a better job than if you didn't attend university, and will therefore earn more money.

And as cliche as it is, money makes the world go 'round. What an FML!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted