yconic - debating between social and life science!
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

debating between social and life science!

A photo of bitetheapple bitetheapple
Hi everyone,
im in grade 11 and im just debating between social and life science
i originally thought of doing life science at either york, uoft, or mcmaster
but now im thinking again

by goal is to get into med school, but i am really interested in the social sciences, but i also like life science

if i do a social science program, i believe i can also do the courses required for med school, but if i do not get into med school, im stuck with a social science degree

idk what to do, help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
16 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
A life science degree is probably not all that much better than a social sciences degree.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

well lets say i didnt get into med school. are there more job opportunities if i have a social science degree than if i have a life science degree? or do the jobs that life science degrees offer pay more?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
There's probably only ten positions, at the very most, across Canada right now for people with no applicable experience and just a BSc in life science. Probably 20,000 students a year in Canada graduate with a BSc in life science.

At the same time, there's probably only one or two positions across Canada right now for people with no applicable experience and just a BA or BSc in a specific social science (economics excluded). Probably 20,000 students a year in Canada graduate with a BA or BSc in social science.

You have the choice between very unlikely to get a job in your area of specialization and very, very unlikely to get a job in your area of specialization. Choose whichever interests you more - or, better yet, do a double major or something of the like.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

okay, im think of double major in life science and sociology
is that possible at mcmaster ?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
Yes.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hmm okay
what career can i go into if i have a lifescience degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

hmm okay
what career can i go into if i have a lifescience degree?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ktel ktel
Google?? Haha. There are SO SO SO many. Some jobs would be related to your degree, some would be available just because you have any degree at all.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
These days, it's very difficult, probably nearly impossible, to get paid to work in a field that's directly relevant to what you did for your BA/BSc, without holding a relevant graduate or professional (or both) degree. Of course, if you're open to the idea of pursuing a career in something completely different from what you studied in school (which is the norm), then you shouldn't have to worry at all. Most entry-level positions just require an undergraduate degree - they usually don't care what it is.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tabletop tabletop

@mynameismattgotmlgo wrote
Yes.

No it isn't. There are only certain things in which you can double major in--life sci and soc is not one of them.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca/CALENDAR/2011-12/pg3.html

Check that out--all the programs offered at Mac.

If you have questions about lifesci, I can help.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of lisacalvano lisacalvano
I know this is off topic however I'll be entering my first year life science this fall. I'm debating between french A106 and Human Anatomy(KIN 1Y03) as my electives. Do you think the anatomy course will be too much in conjunction to CHEM1A03, MATH 1A03, BIO1A03,and PSYCH1A03??? Also, if I choose french I am told there probably will not be any open spots initially available since they are first held for people within the Humanities major. If I am not able to select FRENCH A106 at the time of course selection (this Wednesday) should I still choose my other courses that still fits with this class and hope I can pick it up later on? I would be alot of work to choose my chemistry and biology classes around some undesired elective that I hope to change. I'm graduating from french immersion and really want to keep it up in University.

Thanks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@lisacalvano wrote
I know this is off topic however I'll be entering my first year life science this fall. I'm debating between french A106 and Human Anatomy(KIN 1Y03) as my electives. Do you think the anatomy course will be too much in conjunction to CHEM1A03, MATH 1A03, BIO1A03,and PSYCH1A03??? Also, if I choose french I am told there probably will not be any open spots initially available since they are first held for people within the Humanities major. If I am not able to select FRENCH A106 at the time of course selection (this Wednesday) should I still choose my other courses that still fits with this class and hope I can pick it up later on? I would be alot of work to choose my chemistry and biology classes around some undesired elective that I hope to change. I'm graduating from french immersion and really want to keep it up in University.

Thanks

Hey--A lot of people first year choose kin, however it is VERY popular so it is likely you won't get it. I'd say go with the french, to change things up from your usual science courses. I have a few friends who took it and they loved it. Also--they don't just have it open for humanities they have some spots open for each faculty/year. Just be warned you might not get what courses you want--have backups!! I had my course registration last week and I got none of the electives I wanted. Also MUGSI/SOLAR are impossible to get on--so make sure you are prepared to stay up VERY LATE :P...Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

@tabletop wrote

Yes.

No it isn't. There are only certain things in which you can double major in--life sci and soc is not one of them.

oh so i cant do a double major in lifesci and social sci in mcmaster...how about at york?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@bitetheapple wrote

@tabletop wrote

Yes.

oh so i cant do a double major in lifesci and social sci in mcmaster...how about at york?

I don't know, I don't go to York...try searching their website.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

okay
i think im just going to do sociology at mcmaster and use my electives for taking the prereqs for med schoool? and if i dont get into med school, ill just continue in sociology...
Was this helpful? Yes 0