yconic - DECA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

DECA

A photo of jaymeshaughnessy jaymeshaughnessy
Hey guys!

I'm sure you've all heard of the DECA competitions, that include written and oral events, role play etc. In fact, provincials just took place yesterday. I know that participating in DECA can be a great benefit for those planning on pursuing a business related field in university. However, do you think its a good idea to participate in DECA during grade 11 and 12 in high school (as an extracirricular activity), when your intended goal is a life science program, then possibly medical school or a related career? Would it be worth it?

Do you know anyone who has done this, and do you think universities will recognize this? Thanks for your help!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
2 replies

A photo of NerdmobileDriver NerdmobileDriver
The president of my DECA chapter is going into science (McMaster health sci most likely). DECA is still useful even if you're not going into business. Our president won a scholarship from DECA and will probably use DECA on other scholarship (and university) applications.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BigBMan BigBMan
You should be pursuing any and all of your interests. If DECA is interesting to you, and you like competing in DECA, then you should go through with it. I doubt that a Med School or Life-Sci program wants its students to live and breathe science.

Anyways, to answer your question, yes, I know of many people who are studying Science and are/were in DECA.
Was this helpful? Yes 0