yconic - Decision issues, would greatly appreciate opinions- U of T vs Guelph?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Decision issues, would greatly appreciate opinions- U of T vs Guelph?

A photo of hobbes hobbes
OK. Well, I've been accepted to Vic at U of T but I can't decide whether or not I want to go there... opinions? Guelph has a nice atmosphere and seems like a really good school, but U of T is well, U of T. Haha. I can't figure out if I want to live in Toronto, plus U of T is going to be over 2000$ more expensive, and coming from a family of self employed actors we don't really have a whole lot of money. OF COURSE, there's always bursaries and stuff, but... agh.

So, opinions? Which school would you personally choose and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
5 replies

A photo of cyynthiia cyynthiia
U of T = GPA killer.
:(
Only thing holding me back from going too.
But I don't know if it's the same for Arts.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
(You double posted, so I'll reply here too).

I was going through this decision last year. I liked Guelph because I would get to live independently and be in what seemed like a tight-knight community of students. But, university should firstly be an academic decision. For that reason I chose UofT, because it has much more focus on my program than does Guelph. I would go wherever will benefit you most in your career. Your other concerns will erode.

By the way, UTSG is not a GPA killer if you study hard enough. Don't come in here thinking you'll emulate your high school days, or thinking that you'll fail. Adapt to what they throw at you instead.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hobbes hobbes
Yeah, I didn't mean to double post...ooops!
For sure, academics -are- my main interest. Guelph and U of T both offer great courses in terms of Philosophy, which is (as of now) my major for both schools. May change to PoliSci or specialize in ethics. Are the arts courses at U of T really good?
Not gonna lie, I'm not the best student. I get good grades but I tend to procrastinate like craaazy and end up finding lots of other stupid things to do. Vic sounds really great, but I'm so incredibly torn. Bleehh :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of littleroom littleroom
I don't know about the Arts program here, as I'm in the Sciences. I don't mean to be harsh, but your current form of studying, at least in the sciences, will hurt you badly.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of hobbes hobbes
Not harsh at all, and it's fair. I really appreciate these opinions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0