yconic - Decision Making...
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Decision Making...

A photo of anpan anpan
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I'm getting a little stressed about having to decide before June 2nd so I thought it was appropriate here, lol.

Anyway right now I'm in between choosing Western(-Fanshawe Collab program) and Ryerson for Nursing. They're both good programs from what I understand, and employers don't seem to care anyway as long as you're a RN. So basically my problem stems from being caught between choosing for practical reasons, and choosing for personal ones. (An age-old dilemma, it seems...)

For Western, I love the campus and the student life there seems really fun and exciting. I also think I want to have a change of scenery, and a change of lifestyle. (Namely, a more independent one.) The only thing holding me back is how much tuition + res + extra school fees/expenses will cost, and make things a bit harder after uni for me.

For Ryerson, it's in my city so I'd stay at home and save a lot of money on res, food, laundry, etc. I think that going there would also give me later opportunities (through placements while in uni) for jobs. Plus, I like Toronto and would just move back after anyway. The only thing is that I feel like life won't be too much different, and I'll basically have a similar routine.

I value both practicality and personal desires pretty equally, hence my dilemma. And I know the answer really only lies in myself, but if anyone can provide any insight, advice, or personal experience it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Or, if anyone has problems in making their decision, feel free to post too!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
4 replies

A photo of heesoup heesoup
With the money issue, if you find employment after the nursing program (which is almost guaranteed with nursing as nurses are constantly in demand), I am sure you can pay off your debts. Ultimately, it is up to you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz

@anpan wrote
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I'm getting a little stressed about having to decide before June 2nd so I thought it was appropriate here, lol.

Anyway right now I'm in between choosing Western(-Fanshawe Collab program) and Ryerson for Nursing. They're both good programs from what I understand, and employers don't seem to care anyway as long as you're a RN. So basically my problem stems from being caught between choosing for practical reasons, and choosing for personal ones. (An age-old dilemma, it seems...)

For Western, I love the campus and the student life there seems really fun and exciting. I also think I want to have a change of scenery, and a change of lifestyle. (Namely, a more independent one.) The only thing holding me back is how much tuition + res + extra school fees/expenses will cost, and make things a bit harder after uni for me.

For Ryerson, it's in my city so I'd stay at home and save a lot of money on res, food, laundry, etc. I think that going there would also give me later opportunities (through placements while in uni) for jobs. Plus, I like Toronto and would just move back after anyway. The only thing is that I feel like life won't be too much different, and I'll basically have a similar routine.

I value both practicality and personal desires pretty equally, hence my dilemma. And I know the answer really only lies in myself, but if anyone can provide any insight, advice, or personal experience it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Or, if anyone has problems in making their decision, feel free to post too!

Follow your heart; don't worry about the money. It will come. Best advice I can offer.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of mynameismattgotmlgo mynameismattgotmlgo
The question comes down to, is it worth $30,000 (appr. how much more it would cost you to live in London for four years) for a change of scenery/lifestyle? Some people are fine with doing it, probably because they're thinking they only live life once and thus want the true university experience, while others don't care about the experience and care most about the $$$. Put in another way, and perhaps a bit more concretely, would you be willing to give up a $400,000 future house for a $370,000 future house to be able to go away for university?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of anpan anpan
Thanks for the advice, you three. :D I appreciate it a lot!

I'm still not 100% sure what I'll do, but I'll think about these things for sure.
Was this helpful? Yes 0