yconic - Decreasing the amount of OSAP you owe
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Decreasing the amount of OSAP you owe

A photo of mehta85 mehta85
Hi,
I have a quick question in response to some information regarding OSAP. I am currently paying back the amount that OSAP had given me as I have graduated a little over a year ago now.
I am currently not working in the field that I had studied for (Human Resources Management) but a fellow employee had told me that I can contact OSAP and get the total amount I owe back decreased since I haven't found a position in my field yet.
I am trying to search online to see if this is true but I also took it with a grain of salt since this is the first time of heard of this.
If anyone knows anything about this can you get back to me with more information.

Thank you.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

A photo of ktel ktel
I sincerely doubt that's the case. Sounds far fetched to me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
No, that's not true. They gave you a loan. They didn't guarantee you'd find a job with that loan.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Actually, OSAP does have aprogram where they can (under some circumstances) decrease the amount you need to pay back. Go to your former university's financial aid office and ask them about it. They should have a form for it and can instruct you about the procedure to take.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Emlily wrote
Actually, OSAP does have aprogram where they can (under some circumstances) decrease the amount you need to pay back. Go to your former university's financial aid office and ask them about it. They should have a form for it and can instruct you about the procedure to take.

Yes, that program is for low-income students struggling to make the minimum monthly payments. Nothing like what the OP asked about.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of KaituoKid KaituoKid

@ARMY101 wrote

@Emlily wrote

Yes, that program is for low-income students struggling to make the minimum monthly payments. Nothing like what the OP asked about.

I'm pretty sure "unemployed" passes as "low-income"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@KaituoKid wrote

@ARMY101 wrote

@Emlily wrote

I'm pretty sure "unemployed" passes as "low-income"

Being unemployed is his fault. Why should I (the taxpayer) pay for that?
Was this helpful? Yes 0