yconic - Deferred from Sauder
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Deferred from Sauder

A photo of forthewinwin forthewinwin
I was a transfer student trying to get into Year 2.

85% Core average, 87% ish overall:

ECON 101: Principles of Microeconomics: 90-94%
ECON 102: Principles of Macroeconomics: 90-94%
MATH 104: Calculus: 90-94%
ENGL 112: First year English: 70-74%

COMM 296: Introduction to Marketing: 86.8%
COMM 392: Introduction to Human Resource Management: 87.8%
PHIL 120: Critical Thinking: 85-89% (Yes, I should be ashamed since this is such a 'easy' course)
PSYC 101: Intro to Psychology I: 85-89% (Yes, I should be ashamed since this is such a 'easy' course)
CHIN 101: Basic Chinese I: 95-100%
ECON (2nd): Money and Banking: 90-94%

ECs:
Swim Club: 1 Year
Rugby Player w/ Best Forward Reward: 4 Years
Encounters with Canada Student Forum w/ Certificate Reward: 1 Week
Local Fair Week Event Volunteer: 1 Week
Douglas College Photography Club Part Founder: 3 Months
Douglas College Business Club Vice President: 4 Months
Douglas College International Association (Club) Marketing Coordinator: 4 Months
Taekwondo Martial Arts: 1 Year
Photography Club: 6 Months
McDonalds Crew Member (Work Experience): 2 Years
Photographer Work: 3 Months
(I wrote some of this in the "Additional Information" section)

Essays: Not going to post them on here due to privacy concerns, but they were grammatically flawless and I had them looked over by a professional writer.

Awards:
Rugby "Best Forward" Award
Mathematics Cayley Contest Certificate for Participation
"Outstanding Performance in Math 10" Certificate of Achievement
"Outstanding Performance in Math 12" Certificate of Achievement
Black Belt Certificate of Achievement
Encounters with Canada Certificate for Participation
Douglas College Bill Hill Scholarship
Passport to Education Scholarship
(and more, but can't think of them on top of my head)

Go Figure. I have friends with less activities than me with the exact same core average, or there was one with even a 74% who got in. Deferred as in "No, you will not attend Sauder".
Was this helpful? Yes 0
11 replies

A photo of ufoate ufoate
Were u deferred? Well, Don't worry, there is still 1st july. another round of admissions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dreamteam dreamteam

@forthewinwin wrote
I was a transfer student trying to get into Year 2.

85% Core average, 87% ish overall.

ECs:
Swim Club: 1 Year
Rugby Player w/ Best Forward Reward: 4 Years
Encounters with Canada Student Forum w/ Certificate Reward: 1 Week
Local Fair Week Event Volunteer: 1 Week
Douglas College Photography Club Part Founder: 3 Months
Douglas College Business Club Vice President: 4 Months
Douglas College International Association (Club) Marketing Coordinator: 4 Months
Taekwondo Martial Arts: 1 Year
Photography Club: 6 Months
McDonalds Crew Member (Work Experience): 2 Years
Photographer Work: 3 Months
(I wrote some of this in the "Additional Information" section)

Essays: Not going to post them on here due to privacy concerns, but they were grammatically flawless.

Go Figure. I have friends with less activities than me with the exact same core average, or there was one with even a 74% who got in.

Hey Win, don't worry too much cause there's not much you can do about it now. Just keep doing what you're doing. If you love what you do, you're going to do well. If you do well, you're going to succeed. It seems to me you're majoring in Economics with a (minor)? in Computer Science. Those two fields are great together and there is no doubt that if you do well in them, it can be even better than those with a "BCOM" degree. Besides, you can still do a MBA in a couple years so your choices are still waiting for you. Just stay positive, look forward and keep your head up. Good luck man.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Just out of curiosity, how do you know my name? Haha

Major in Computer Science with a minor in Economics. Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. I'm just still puzzled at how this could have happened.

@ufoate wrote
Were u deferred? Well, Don't worry, there is still 1st july. another round of admissions.

Deferred as in "no, you cannot attend Sauder". Final word.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ufoate ufoate

@forthewinwin wrote

Just out of curiosity, how do you know my name? Haha

Major in Computer Science with a minor in Economics. Anyways, thanks for the encouragement. I'm just still puzzled at how this could have happened.

@ufoate wrote

Deferred as in "no, you cannot attend Sauder". Final word.

Hi Win,

Thats strange, u seem to have decent results. May I ask, do u have any idea why they might have rejected you?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ufoate wrote

Thats strange, u seem to have decent results. May I ask, do u have any idea why they might have rejected you?

No- it's puzzling because I know of plenty of people who just done a little volunteer work here and there and have a 75-80% core average and still got in. Perhaps my essays weren't good enough, but I highly doubt that they would be bad enough to completely neutralize a high average and a variety of ECs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ufoate ufoate
that is so strange, did u tried calling sauder up to enquire about your situation? They could have made a mistake or something, like maybe ask them what u might have lacked that failed ur application. After all, i'm sure it takes more than just the essasy to be rejected.

The startling thing is that u haf a high gpa, coupled with ECs. In addition, its not like u wrote crappy essays right?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of unigirl123101 unigirl123101

@forthewinwin wrote

@ufoate wrote

No- it's puzzling because I know of plenty of people who just done a little volunteer work here and there and have a 75-80% core average and still got in. Perhaps my essays weren't good enough, but I highly doubt that they would be bad enough to completely neutralize a high average and a variety of ECs.

You should call. There is always the possibility of error, and in the case of a girl I know, her essays were never recieved by her first choice school because of some sort of administrative error.

Call to at least make sure your essays and correct marks were received! I'm not sure about the system in BC, but on OUAC here in Ontario, people's grades get entered in wrong all the time (i.e. 86 gets entered as a 68).

If they do have everything in order, then you can at least ask for constructive feedback. They may or may not tell you why you didn't get in, but it's worth a shot!

p.s. can you try a transfer into the program in 2nd year?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ufoate wrote
that is so strange, did u tried calling sauder up to enquire about your situation? They could have made a mistake or something, like maybe ask them what u might have lacked that failed ur application. After all, i'm sure it takes more than just the essasy to be rejected.

The startling thing is that u haf a high gpa, coupled with ECs. In addition, its not like u wrote crappy essays right?

My essays were reviewed by professional writers actually to ensure that they were top notch. I even took additional precautions to ensure they were the best. I personally know of people who have English skills significantly weaker than mine and just roughly wrote a paragraph on top of their head and still got in.

Even if UBC didn't like my essays, I doubt they would be that bad to completely nullify my ECs and GPA.

@unigirl123101 wrote

You should call. There is always the possibility of error, and in the case of a girl I know, her essays were never received by her first choice school because of some sort of administrative error.

Call to at least make sure your essays and correct marks were received! I'm not sure about the system in BC, but on OUAC here in Ontario, people's grades get entered in wrong all the time (i.e. 86 gets entered as a 68).

If they do have everything in order, then you can at least ask for constructive feedback. They may or may not tell you why you didn't get in, but it's worth a shot!

p.s. can you try a transfer into the program in 2nd year?

I'll give it a go tomorrow morning.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of boyasian boyasian
So what happened?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

My interview with my admissions officer is on July 27.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh guess what I may try for 3rd year...
Was this helpful? Yes 0