yconic - Degroot vs. Ted Rogers (Commerce)
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Degroot vs. Ted Rogers (Commerce)

A photo of KevinA93 KevinA93
In your opinion which school is better for their undergrad program in business and why? I know they both have about similar admission averages, Mac's just being a couple percent higher, so I was wondering between these two programs which one would be a better choice. Thanks!
Was this helpful? Yes 0
10 replies

A photo of koreanhendrix93 koreanhendrix93
Might seem like it'd be difficult to get a difficult with a degree from Ted Rogers compared to the other big groups (i.e. IVEY, QC, Schulich, and Rotman kids). I'm not so sure, but Mac seems to have an overall group of brighter students (correct me if I'm wrong) and has a third (or fourth?) year internship program attached. If I were you, I'd choose DeGroote.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
McMaster
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of dancecubed dancecubed

@KevinA93 wrote
In your opinion which school is better for their undergrad program in business and why? I know they both have about similar admission averages, Mac's just being a couple percent higher, so I was wondering between these two programs which one would be a better choice. Thanks!

What are you interested in doing in business?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@dancecubed wrote

@KevinA93 wrote

This.

If I had to choose right now, I would say McMaster, but it really depends. The programs are not too different from each other. it's not as if you were choosing between QC and Ryerson/McMaster, where the decision would be relatively easy.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of business13 business13
Well I would say that it might be subjective, some people really like the Ted Rogers program but majority people would choose DeGroote.

As far as cut-off, I went to McMaster's open house yesterday and they said that as of right now, the cut-off is at 83% which I think is almost 5% higher than the Ted Rogers cut-off.

If you choose to get into Finance then definitely choose Mac because they have a trading floor. Otherwise, it's just whatever you prefer more.

I've gotten offers from both the programs, and as of right now I'm most probably going to choose McMaster.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@g93 wrote

@dancecubed wrote

@KevinA93 wrote

This.

If I had to choose right now, I would say McMaster, but it really depends. The programs are not too different from each other. it's not as if you were choosing between QC and Ryerson/McMaster, where the decision would be relatively easy.

It's all about personal feel as well. I can't stress enough that if you don't like your campus or don't feel comfortable there, you're not going to enjoy your experience. That's what it all comes down to.

Open houses are definitely a good way to get a feel of the school but I'm not sure if they're having anymore at the moment at either school.

Best of luck with your choice Kevin!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dancecubed wrote
It's all about personal feel as well. I can't stress enough that if you don't like your campus or don't feel comfortable there, you're not going to enjoy your experience. That's what it all comes down to.

Open houses are definitely a good way to get a feel of the school but I'm not sure if they're having anymore at the moment at either school.

To an extent I agree. In the end reputation>campus feel. For either one of these schools it shouldn't be TOO important (Mac's got a nice campus and good school).

And yes you really should go to open houses, it's really helpful. McMaster had one last Saturday, not too sure if/when Ryerson will have one but you should look into it!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@dancecubed wrote

To an extent I agree. In the end reputation>campus feel. For either one of these schools it shouldn't be TOO important (Mac's got a nice campus and good school).

And yes you really should go to open houses, it's really helpful. McMaster had one last Saturday, not too sure if/when Ryerson will have one but you should look into it!

I somewhat disagree. When I look back at last year, I went to Schulich for one of their open houses and I felt completely turned off by the York campus and Schulich. I think that Schulich is amazing, but I probably wouldn't have been as involved at York as I am at Ryerson.

Of course, I also got rejected by Schulich but I think if I had the knowledge now that I did last year, Ryerson would have been my top choice.

That's not to take away from Schulich, it's an amazing school. I just think that everybody has a school that they feel better going to and getting involved with. For me, it was Ryerson. For many others, it would probably be Schulich. :)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@dancecubed wrote
I somewhat disagree. When I look back at last year, I went to Schulich for one of their open houses and I felt completely turned off by the York campus and Schulich. I think that Schulich is amazing, but I probably wouldn't have been as involved at York as I am at Ryerson.

Of course, I also got rejected by Schulich but I think if I had the knowledge now that I did last year, Ryerson would have been my top choice.

That's not to take away from Schulich, it's an amazing school. I just think that everybody has a school that they feel better going to and getting involved with. For me, it was Ryerson. For many others, it would probably be Schulich. :)

Yeah that makes sense. I know for me, I love Ryerson's location (being right downtown). I just think that's cool (and very useful for business since it's near Bay St.)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@dancecubed wrote

Yeah that makes sense. I know for me, I love Ryerson's location (being right downtown). I just think that's cool (and very useful for business since it's near Bay St.)

Definitely. I love the downtown core! So many great people to meet. :)

Back to the OP, it really comes down to what you want to do. Also, seriously take into account your financial situation if that makes any difference to you.

That's the main reason I rejected Laurier for Ryerson.
Was this helpful? Yes 0