yconic - Degroote or Laurier BBA
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Degroote or Laurier BBA

A photo of thelakeshow thelakeshow
i just got accepted to laurier honours bba.
still waiting on mac commerce.
i just wanted to know peoples' thoughts on mac commerce and laurier bba. which one would you choose and why?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
39 replies

A photo of Jack555 Jack555
Laurier no question
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@Jack555 wrote
Laurier no question

+ 1
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of LWilliams LWilliams
Some McMaster acceptances came in Friday and Laurier started handing out acceptances this morning. So i'm somewhat confused about how you got into Laurier (which asks for mid-high 80s) and yet you didn't get into Mac yet (which asks for low 80s). Plus, my friend has an 84 average and was accepted at McMaster yesterday and I don't think he got into Laurier today.

But Laurier offers the better program due to its co-op. Now if you compare Laurier (in the case you don't get co-op) vs Mcmaster (Which has internships) thats debatable.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@LWilliams wrote
Some McMaster acceptances came in Friday and Laurier started handing out acceptances this morning. So i'm somewhat confused about how you got into Laurier (which asks for mid-high 80s) and yet you didn't get into Mac yet (which asks for low 80s). Plus, my friend has an 84 average and was accepted at McMaster yesterday and I don't think he got into Laurier today.

But Laurier offers the better program due to its co-op. Now if you compare Laurier (in the case you don't get co-op) vs Mcmaster (Which has internships) thats debatable.

Laurier is still better without co-op.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Blistex Blistex
both have their pro's and con's, but I personally would pick Degroote because I've always loved McMaster and I love the program. It's VERY underrated and the only school with a live trading floor.

You can't go wrong with both, go where you want to go because both offer a large amount of oppourtunities.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Laurier hands-down
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci
I actually don't believe it's a hands down answer. Both have their pros/cons, but one isn't substantially better than the other.

It'd be hands down if we were comparing Degroote to Harvard.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gucci wrote
I actually don't believe it's a hands down answer. Both have their pros/cons, but one isn't substantially better than the other.

HBS only has professional programs

I would say there's a farily big gap between Laurier and McMaster
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@LWilliams wrote

i actually didnt know how i got into the program either considering my grade 12 average is a 79 according to feb marks; however, laurier uses 2 grade 12 marks and 3 grade 11 marks which now makes sense.

im so nervous for mcmaster though!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@thelakeshow wrote

@LWilliams wrote

i actually didnt know how i got into the program either considering my grade 12 average is a 79 according to feb marks; however, laurier uses 2 grade 12 marks and 3 grade 11 marks which now makes sense.

im so nervous for mcmaster though!!!

oh sorry, i meant 3 grade 12 marks and 3 grade 11 marks
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SoConfused SoConfused
I'm in the exact same boat. I've been accepted to both, and cannot decide.
I've heard Mac's program is more math based (it's a commerce program so that makes sense), and math isn't really my favourite thing to do.. should that be a deciding factor for me? If you have any pros or cons, if you could help me i would REALLY appreciate it.
I plan on going to law school after too, which would i likely do better in?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Gucci wrote

I want to hear your reasons on why you think there's a big gap between Laurier's business program and McMaster's business program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Gucci Gucci

@SoConfused wrote
I'm in the exact same boat. I've been accepted to both, and cannot decide.
I've heard Mac's program is more math based (it's a commerce program so that makes sense), and math isn't really my favourite thing to do.. should that be a deciding factor for me? If you have any pros or cons, if you could help me i would REALLY appreciate it.
I plan on going to law school after too, which would i likely do better in?

You probably don't care about my input because I am in high school, but between Degroote and Laurier, I'd go with Laurier. I don't like math either, but I wouldn't let that change my education paths because we should get used to doing things that aren't our favorite in life.

I have no comment on law school, but considering law school doesn't entirely care what type of undergraduate program you're coming out of (just your GPA) then go to whatever school you please.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Gucci wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

@Gucci wrote

I want to hear your reasons on why you think there's a big gap between Laurier's business program and McMaster's business program.

Laurier: excellent co-op program (if you can get in), option to drop to Honours Ec, great atmosphere, most UFE gold medal winners, high UFE pass rates, fully-accredited by ICAO, tons of clubs and events, Laurier sinking a ton of money into SBE (see link vincerz provided for proof), lots of different streams, some great profs, a great city, lots of job opportunities in the area, best technology city in Canada, low tuition for what you get, and hot business girls..... just off the top of my head.

And I am not a fan of Mac's program.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SoConfused SoConfused
[/quote] Laurier: excellent co-op program (if you can get in), option to drop to Honours Ec, great atmosphere, most UFE gold medal winners, high UFE pass rates, fully-accredited by ICAO, tons of clubs and events, Laurier sinking a ton of money into SBE (see link vincerz provided for proof), lots of different streams, some great profs, a great city, lots of job opportunities in the area, best technology city in Canada, low tuition for what you get, and hot business girls..... just off the top of my head.

And I am not a fan of Mac's program.[/quote]

Why aren't you a fan of Mac's program? Just out of curiousity...
I am leaning towards Laurier more, because the SBE is from what I've found is what Laurier is known for, where as McMaster is known for their science progams.. I guess you could say Business is the Health Sciences of Laurier if you know what I mean.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@SoConfused wrote

Laurier: excellent co-op program (if you can get in), option to drop to Honours Ec, great atmosphere, most UFE gold medal winners, high UFE pass rates, fully-accredited by ICAO, tons of clubs and events, Laurier sinking a ton of money into SBE (see link vincerz provided for proof), lots of different streams, some great profs, a great city, lots of job opportunities in the area, best technology city in Canada, low tuition for what you get, and hot business girls..... just off the top of my head.

And I am not a fan of Mac's program.

I am leaning towards Laurier more, because the SBE is from what I've found is what Laurier is known for, where as McMaster is known for their science progams.. I guess you could say Business is the Health Sciences of Laurier if you know what I mean.

I don't know if I can explain it, but I don't like the whole setup for it and the description of it. One thing I can think of is that you only have a choice of 1 of 4 electives in first year.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBABOSS BBABOSS

@SoConfused wrote

And I am not a fan of Mac's program.[/quote]

I am leaning towards Laurier more, because the SBE is from what I've found is what Laurier is known for, where as McMaster is known for their science progams.. I guess you could say Business is the Health Sciences of Laurier if you know what I mean.[/quote]

If you want a much easier way to land a good job, then go to Laurier. It opens more doors for you, and that helps you a lot.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I got accepted to both as well...I'm hoping Ivey and/or Queen's accepts me though as I'll go there.

In terms of academics, yeah, Laurier is better. That doesn't mean McMaster isn't good...Many people would kill to have your predicament. Personally, I like McMaster MUCH more.

@Blistex wrote
both have their pro's and con's, but I personally would pick Degroote because I've always loved McMaster and I love the program. It's VERY underrated and the only school with a live trading floor.

You can't go wrong with both, go where you want to go because both offer a large amount of oppourtunities.

This guy has it all right :). It is VERY (and by very, I mean VERY) underrated. Their campus is unreal man...I was extremely disappointed by Laurier's campus and prefer McMaster's campus out of all the schools I have applied to.

Like Blistex said, they also have a trading floor. Now I don't know what you want to do after, but that's still pretty sick lol. I saw it and it's definitely cooler than any other business school has (Ivey, Queen's, Laurier don't have anything close to that impressive).

So yea I'm kind of biased but this is a biased question. Honestly, go to the campus you like best...that's your home for 4 years and they're both really good schools.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Campus should only have little to do with it. UOIT has a good campus, and people aren't lining up to go there.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@johnnycanuck wrote
Campus should only have little to do with it. UOIT has a good campus, and people aren't lining up to go there.

That's because there's a very big gap between UOIT and Laurier/Mac...

He's talking about Laurier and McMaster, both of which are good schools, so go to the one you like best
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BBABOSS BBABOSS
Haha sorry to laugh, but i would much rather be able to walk anywhere on campus in five minutes, then have to walk 15 or more at a nicer campus. I was in the same situation as you last year, and was thinking Lauriers campus was crap too. But this i found it to be unreal, and being able to wake up 5 minutes before class and get there on time is live.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of smarty1 smarty1
Laurier ofc.

But it comes down to where you really wanna be at the end of the day.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@Username81 wrote

@johnnycanuck wrote

That's because there's a very big gap between UOIT and Laurier/Mac...

He's talking about Laurier and McMaster, both of which are good schools, so go to the one you like best

Laurier is better.
Mac's campus may be nicer, but as BBABOSS said Laurier's campus is condensed. Plus Laurier is in the great city of Waterloo, where as Mac is in Hamilton area. And UW is down the road. I think there are as many good things about the Laurier campus as there is the Mac campus, depending on your opinions maybe more. So to say that because Mac's campus is nicer doesn't make it better than Laurier.

All in all, everyone has their opinions and you can make your own choice, but 100% Laurier>Degroote.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

where is the campus for degroote first yr.?
is it at the hamilton campus or that new building off of QEW?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of danselikeme danselikeme

@Username81 wrote
I got accepted to both as well...I'm hoping Ivey and/or Queen's accepts me though as I'll go there.

In terms of academics, yeah, Laurier is better. That doesn't mean McMaster isn't good...Many people would kill to have your predicament. Personally, I like McMaster MUCH more.

@Blistex wrote

This guy has it all right :). It is VERY (and by very, I mean VERY) underrated. Their campus is unreal man...I was extremely disappointed by Laurier's campus and prefer McMaster's campus out of all the schools I have applied to.

Like Blistex said, they also have a trading floor. Now I don't know what you want to do after, but that's still pretty sick lol. I saw it and it's definitely cooler than any other business school has (Ivey, Queen's, Laurier don't have anything close to that impressive).

So yea I'm kind of biased but this is a biased question. Honestly, go to the campus you like best...that's your home for 4 years and they're both really good schools.

i alpplied to both and i agree. theyre both very good! mcmaster is more math based--- so personally id go to mcmaster. it also has a live trading floor- which is pretty cool and a gorgeous campus!

but it depends.
Was this helpful? Yes 0