yconic - Desktop, netbook, or laptop?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Desktop, netbook, or laptop?

A photo of MadMod MadMod
I'm bringing a laptop. My university friends and their friends all have laptops too. But I have heard of people (online) who are doing a desktop / netbook combo.

What are you going to bring? Have you heard of anyone bringing a desktop and/or netbook?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of inthemaking inthemaking
I brought a laptop and a second 19" monitor with me. I use my laptop on campus and when I get home, I connect my monitor to my laptop.

I know people that have desktop + laptop, laptop + netbook, and desktop + netbook. Either way, a laptop/netbook to bring to campus is pretty much a must.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zion Zion
I'm bringing a laptop. I think you only need a desktop if you a) have your own room and b) don't go home very often.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm bringing a laptop. Our family has a netbook for traveling and I hate it, it is a piece of junk.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

In my opinion a desktop is the way to go. Not only are they cheaper and more powerful, but there's the added benefit that you can't take one with you. Don't get a laptop unless you wish to spend your entire semester on YouTube or facebook (or if you have tremendous self-control).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jessica888 Jessica888
I did a laptop/netbook combo. For my first year, I just had my laptop, but it's 17 inches, and got quite heavy on the walk to class, not to mention some of the desks (at Laurier, at least) were too small for it to sit on without me being scared it would tip right off! I ended up using my laptop in residence/in my apartment the following year, and carrying my 9 inch netbook to class instead. It worked out MUCH better for me.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of CrystalRobinson CrystalRobinson
I have a dell lap top and although it hasnt given me TOO many problems, i sure wish i had bought a MAC now... ANYWAY thats my advice... buy a mac and you will have zero probalems for your entire 4 years... but if a mac is too expensive you should just go with a lap top as they are generally cheaper then a full desk top able to travel with you to the library (when your roomie has friends over). Everyone I know you has gotten a net book has absolutely hated it... if you want something really light grab the i-Pad.... more $$$$ but will not cause you the frustration a netbook will. Good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of meghanlb meghanlb
LAPTOP!
I loooooove my MacBook Pro, sure it as an arm and a leg but completely worth it! Never had any terrible problems and everything is so fast, convenient and well let's just get it out there.... Goooood looking!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of TaylorRutherford TaylorRutherford
Laptop. It does the same things as a desktop except you can bring it with you, but it's not too small. It's basically just perfect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of kurtisw13 kurtisw13
or ipad?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of North North
Probably going to have a desktop and a laptop. The desktop is mainly there because my parents are separating and I get the computer. Even if I didn't have the desktop I'd still probably want a screen to hook the laptop up to in my room.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ClarksonMark ClarksonMark
Well i just recently bought a new desktop which i will definatly take, and i might bring my laptop along with me. Now I have also applied to UOIT so I may get a laptop if I go there anyways. So if I were you, if your program is intense, bring a desktop cause they are easier to work with, laptops are fun, but sometimes not as fast or reliable
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
bringing a desktop + laptop (or netbook) is pretty common here, more guys do that because they want a big screen for their games.

for me, i brought just my laptop 15'6, but it had issues to begin with. brought it to class about 3 times a week, its pretty useful if youre in more online based classes (ie. content being posted online by prof). i recently bought a 14' due to my 15'6 being messed up. plus it was really heavy (and im a tiny person), so i decided to drop down. loving it.

i dont really recommend doing desktop/netbook combo, its a lot more portable but for performance, if you dont mind packing a little extra weight, go for desktop/laptop, or simply, just laptop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of September90 September90
I personally suggest the laptop because it's compact and portable. A long as you get a decent sized screen so you don't get head aches. But if you wish to have a laptop and desktop I'm sure that would be an option. I will be bringing my MacBook with me when I attend college and I hope it will do me wonders in school. Mind you, make sure it comes with a really good writing program for projects. I unfortunately do not have a program so I will be purchasing one before I leave for school. Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of September90 September90
I personally suggest the laptop because it's compact and portable. A long as you get a decent sized screen so you don't get head aches. But if you wish to have a laptop and desktop I'm sure that would be an option. I will be bringing my MacBook with me when I attend college and I hope it will do me wonders in school. Mind you, make sure it comes with a really good writing program for projects. I unfortunately do not have a program so I will be purchasing one before I leave for school. Hope this helps.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@kurtisw13 wrote
or ipad?

No. A laptop.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 123abcuwo 123abcuwo
you def need a laptop.
unless you can scribble/copy notes in class at a crazy fast pace, bringing a laptop would be useful. plus when you wanna study on campus it's super useful to have one with you (e.g. library, food court). there aren't that many computers on campus for you to use anyway.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Smithius Smithius
I think you 100% need a laptop for it's portability, but there's nothing to stop you from using the laptop in a desktop-esque way when coupled with a monitor and a seperate keyboard (if you're more comfortale with desktops, like me)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of klippeal klippeal
i like netbooks! the small and easy to bring along to classes and at the same time have all the programs and such you need!
For notes.. i prefer the ancient form of a pencil and paper, i remember my notes way more that way!!!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Jordan23 Jordan23
I feel that it's much easier for me to study notes I write by hand. I'm not that productive studying off of notes I type up ahah. Anyways, my question was, are Macbooks easy to adjust to? I've been using Windows my whole life, and everytime I try using the Apple, I seem to have trouble getting around. I know the build quality of Apple is good an all, so I don't know if I should switch to a Macbook when I start university. Any suggestions?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

I'm going to be buying a laptop for sure but I'm still debating whether or not to bring my desktop. I am a bit paranoid about theft especially since I'm going for a double room but at the very least, I'll bring my 24" monitor for movies =)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

This post was deleted

A photo of aimango aimango
if you are thinking of buying a new laptop for uni, i suggest you wait until after 1/2way through 1st year before you make a wrong decision. your classmates can give you good suggestions, and you will know your needs once you know what you really need. uni is a big change, so if you made the wrong purchase... well that sucks.

Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of NOIZmaker NOIZmaker
Personally, I think a desktop at home is the way to go. I thought I would need a laptop or netbook for college but it turns out I'm doing fine without one. It really depends on what you take and how your instructor teaches. A laptop or netbook is handy though... convenient for taking notes and searching up school stuff but a bad idea if you're likely to get distracted.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of VegaKrazmych VegaKrazmych

@aimango wrote
if you are thinking of buying a new laptop for uni, i suggest you wait until after 1/2way through 1st year before you make a wrong decision. your classmates can give you good suggestions, and you will know your needs once you know what you really need. uni is a big change, so if you made the wrong purchase... well that sucks.

Or else, you could do all that before your first semester starts. Most people's habits and study strategies don't drastically change. You should know what you'll need before you start.
Was this helpful? Yes 0