yconic - did anyone get into UW compsci with a below 90 avg?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

did anyone get into UW compsci with a below 90 avg?

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
I'm just wondering. To see if I might still have a chance.
And how many ECs did you have?
Was this helpful? Yes 0
31 replies

A photo of arviny arviny
I got early admission if January about 1 month after paying for OUAC and submitting my program choices and this is BEFORE I started my AIF, so it was just based on my marks. 86.6 average (88 sph4u, 89 mhf4u, 90 ics4u, 81 sch4u, 85 idc4u and roughly similar marks in grade 11) with good EC's; 2 clubs x 1hr a week x 2yrs and vice president of cs club x 2yrs + 70 hrs of com service assitant swimming instructor at comm.center + summer job in 2010 + current job since fall as lifeguard&swimming instructor x 20-30 hrs/month. That's it, the other stuff they asked me to write I just put bs...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Wow, you have really nice ECs.
I'm just wondering, I'm really worried right now, my average is a bit low, 84.33 (I was absent for two weeks during the first semester, that pulled my mark down, got a 70 in adv func D: 85 in calc)

I don't have any really impressive ECs, but I have around 13 decent ones. I did this years computing contest and I have a lot of hours. I go to a school that is a favourite of Waterloo's.

Do you think I have a slight chance of getting in? (>< my life depends on it) thank you so much for answering.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Stranger Stranger
I applied to CS co-op.. I have a 95 average.. No acceptance yet. D: My AIF was decent.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@shirlx wrote
Wow, you have really nice ECs.
I'm just wondering, I'm really worried right now, my average is a bit low, 84.33 (I was absent for two weeks during the first semester, that pulled my mark down, got a 70 in adv func D: 85 in calc)

I don't have any really impressive ECs, but I have around 13 decent ones. I did this years computing contest and I have a lot of hours. I go to a school that is a favourite of Waterloo's.

Do you think I have a slight chance of getting in? (>< my life depends on it) thank you so much for answering.

How do you know "Waterloo's Favourites"
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of arviny arviny
If you go to one of UW's favourite schools then yes you have a chance. My school is also one of the favourites (70% Chinese school of which 30% of school is esl.. UW loves fobs..) otherwise I highly highly doubt you will get in. Your only chance is at the end of May when people decline offers (like me probably) and extra space opens up. Not giving you false hope, but there is a chance if your english, calc, adv functions are decent >~85

Best of luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
arviny: that is a dumb thing to assume. UW doesn't love fobs, it's just that a lot of fobs apply to UW. fobs -> asians -> asian parents who care about their childrens marks and future degree/school -> 90s kids -> UW. honestly the SCHOOL you come from is only a tiny tiny factor for admission decisions.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
ok, I have a question

If I have a 90+ average - let's say 93

-with high math marks (all 3 maths)
-no computer SCIENCE courses, or any science courses
-accounting, international business, Law
-no relevant programming experience EXCEPT for my gr.10 & 11 computer engineering class

Plus decent EC's, a few leadership/executive positions in about 2 - 4, about 5-8 (solid) EC's in total? + Also awards for courses.

Will I get accepted? What if the average is higher?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of aimango aimango
This is what CS cares about academically
your english mark
your math marks
the other 3 in your top 6
thats it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup

@aimango wrote
This is what CS cares about academically
your english mark
your math marks
the other 3 in your top 6
thats it.

It's only because my primary target is business, and it may seem to them like i'm just applying there for fun and as a backup...so they may think they are "wasting" an offer...?? I really hope this is not the case.

Because having no programming experience indicates that the application is for a back-up only...

Or is this only me and they don't think this deeply of it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of iRamie iRamie

@aimango wrote
arviny: that is a dumb thing to assume. UW doesn't love fobs, it's just that a lot of fobs apply to UW. fobs -> asians -> asian parents who care about their childrens marks and future degree/school -> 90s kids -> UW. honestly the SCHOOL you come from is only a tiny tiny factor for admission decisions.

BULLLLL5H1TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
ITS NOT FAIR HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR SCHOOLS A FAVORITE?

WTF YOU CANT JUDGE A PERSON FROM WHAT SCHOOL THEY COME FROM...

gimme a list of their favourites, ill transfer over RIGHT NAO!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@arviny wrote
If you go to one of UW's favourite schools then yes you have a chance. My school is also one of the favourites (70% Chinese school of which 30% of school is esl.. UW loves fobs..) otherwise I highly highly doubt you will get in. Your only chance is at the end of May when people decline offers (like me probably) and extra space opens up. Not giving you false hope, but there is a chance if your english, calc, adv functions are decent >~85

Best of luck!

Does it also help if I'm a girl? I'm just wondering, it's a little rumour I heard somewhere.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@shirlx wrote

@arviny wrote

Best of luck!

Does it also help if I'm a girl? I'm just wondering, it's a little rumour I heard somewhere.

Yes..it helps..
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Theresa96 Theresa96
I don't think gender will cause any different.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

@shirlx wrote

@arviny wrote

Best of luck!

Yes..it helps..

lol are you being sarcastic.
I meant that, if there is an overwhelming number of males in the program, they might want to balance the gender ratio by letting more girls in.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Theresa96 wrote

Wrong..there are only few girls in engineering/math faculty..UW would try to balance it out.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Theresa96 Theresa96

@blurX wrote

@Theresa96 wrote

Wrong..there are only few girls in engineering/math faculty..UW would try to balance it out.

wow! you really sure about this? I'm a girl and applied for Math, still waiting offer.
You think as a girl will really help?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Theresa96 wrote

@blurX wrote

@Theresa96 wrote

wow! you really sure about this? I'm a girl and applied for Math, still waiting offer.
You think as a girl will really help?

When I went to the UW open house last October, one of the UW CS stuff said that there are only few girls in math and especially engineering faculty, they would encourage females to apply for math/engineering programs even if their average is not good enough(but close to admission average). He also suggests that if girls end up not liking or struggling with the program..they could still change major..

So being a girl does helps, good luck!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of waazup waazup
I repeat,

If I have a 90+ average - let's say 93

-with high math marks (all 3 maths)
-no computer SCIENCE courses, or any science courses
-accounting, international business, Law
-no relevant programming experience EXCEPT for my gr.10 & 11 computer engineering class

Plus decent EC's, a few leadership/executive positions in about 2 - 4, about 5-8 (solid) EC's in total? + Also awards for courses.
Will I get accepted? What if the average is higher?

My primary target is business, and it may seem to them like i'm just applying there for fun and as a backup...so they may think they are "wasting" an offer...?? I really hope this is not the case.
Because having no programming experience indicates that the application is for a back-up only...
Or is this only me and they don't think this deeply of it?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@blurX wrote

Yay! :cheers:

How bad is the lack of girls anyways? There seemed to be a decent amount of girls in the CS tour when I went to the open house.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Stranger wrote

@blurX wrote
So being a girl does help, good luck!

Yay! :cheers:

How bad is the lack of girls anyways? There seemed to be a decent amount of girls in the CS tour when I went to the open house.

What they said was that girls usually do better in CS courses..not sure about the actual ratio though. However, guys does outnumbered girls in math/engineering programs.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zeal Zeal

@blurX wrote

That's BS. They also told my friend that being a non-white, non-Asian applicant helps when it comes to admission, and encouraged to him apply. There is no such thing as affirmative action in Canada, and schools cannot favor applicants based on race or sex based on this, or they would be getting sued all the time. It's just something these staff say so they can get your hopes up, but if you truly ask the people in charge of admissions, they will tell you that all they look at is marks and the AIF and nothing else.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Oh well.. I actually hope there aren't that many girls in CS cause they tend to annoy me.... :bounce:
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of blurX blurX

@Zeal wrote

@blurX wrote

That's BS. They also told my friend that being a non-white, non-Asian applicant helps when it comes to admission, and encouraged to him apply. There is no such thing as affirmative action in Canada, and schools cannot favor applicants based on race or sex based on this, or they would be getting sued all the time. It's just something these staff say so they can get your hopes up, but if you truly ask the people in charge of admissions, they will tell you that all they look at is marks and the AIF and nothing else.

hmm..you might be right..but again..don't shoot the messenger...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Do you think Waterloo will give out acceptances next week? I hope they don't do it like a few days before the deadline.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Zeal Zeal

@blurX wrote

@Zeal wrote

@blurX wrote

hmm..you might be right..but again..don't shoot the messenger...

Ah, my apologies for coming off as rude.
Was this helpful? Yes 0