yconic - Did anyone honestly enjoy vectors?
Hide Menu

My Feed Money for School Student Help Brands Winners Support Center

Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
Scotiabank
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

Did anyone honestly enjoy vectors?

A photo of pandasbox pandasbox
I'm just browsing through the boards, and all I hear are sighs and groans to any mention of the topic. I hope I'm not the only person who thought vectors was a delightful new way of thinking about math. When I was in grade 10, I had a philosophical moment and thought it would be awesome if we could learn math beyond its drab linear dimension (algebra), beyond the drawing board (Cartesian coordinates), and see that the world is not flat! Sure, when I took the course I didn't get the best marks, but vectors themselves present a new beautiful way of looking at math beyond all the high school math courses designed to set you up to learn calculus. I kind of wish they had kept the old curriculum with geometry, vectors, and matrices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0
24 replies

A photo of zefyre zefyre
it was a mindfuck. Calculus was easy, vectors ruined it.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93
I don't really care for school, so I wouldn't say "enjoy", but I did find most of the vectors unit pretty good. I have no problems visualizing the 3D vectors and planes in space and how they relate to other vectors and planes and the coordinate axes and planes. I don't even know what it is called exactly (even though I took it) or if it is at your school, but something under the title of drafting/technological design/engineering/CAD/architecture (all I remember is that it always had different names in the booklets, the teacher called it engineering I think and we just called it tech). We did a fair amount of 3D modelling which is pretty cool if you get good at it. I think that might be part of the reason why drawing vectors and planes seemed so simple. We got into some cool stuff in that class.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Uncotran Uncotran
I look at Vectors as a logic kind of thing, since I took physics. Its really easy if you learned vectors, and if you didn't understand it in physics, then calc&vectors will make it seem like cake.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fma Fma
I find calculus and vector are really different.

In calculus, we are focusing more on change in values

while in vectors, we are more interested in finding the solution in linear systems.

but honestly, I find both of them are really interesting
(imo, they are the basic tools for everything in the world!)
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Phase Phase
Yes, I did. Can't wait until linear algebra. Wish they taught us matrices, though.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of BrownianMotion BrownianMotion

@Fma wrote
I find calculus and vector are really different.

In calculus, we are focusing more on change in values

while in vectors, we are more interested in finding the solution in linear systems.

but honestly, I find both of them are really interesting
(imo, they are the basic tools for everything in the world!)

You’re right. They’re very basic tools that are stepping stones to understanding the math that actually gets utilized in the real world to model various physical phenomena – ie multivariable calculus (primarily vector calculus), linear algebra, and differential equations. For example – vector calculus deals with differentiation & integration of vector fields which are used to model behaviour of fluid in space or fields produced by electrically charged objects (electromagnetic fields).

If you go deep enough in university math, you’ll find that a lot of the charm of the subjects of multivariable calculus and differential equations comes from its interaction with linear algebra (for a simple example, the solution space of y" + y = 0 has as a basis sin x and cos x).
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Super Super
Off-topic, but how did you guys find Data Mgmt?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Vectors :(
Thank goodness I don't need to take linear algebra in uni.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of SiVisPacemParaBellum SiVisPacemParaBellum
BrownianMotion was truly a brilliant individual. It's a shame he was banned. He will be missed.

Anyways, regarding linear algebra - depending on how it's taught, it is typically a different kind of math course than what you've become accustomed to in high school. The focus is more on using theorems to verify certain results or actually proving certain theorems. There are people who disliked the computational aspect of math in high school who found the theoretical aspect of pure math courses (like linear algebra) more charming.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of tabletop tabletop
I loved vectors, and I loved linear algebra in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Quiz Quiz
Vectors was really made me really start to enjoy/appreciate mathematics. So, yes, I can honestly say that I enjoyed it and I am really looking forward to taking linear algebra in university.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AsianFail93 AsianFail93
Found it pretty simple. All except intersection of 3 planes
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of g93 g93

@AsianFail93 wrote
Found it pretty simple. All except intersection of 3 planes

Really? Almost everyone in my class found that part to be easy compared to the rest. Odd how that happens.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 311 311
vectors was hell
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Vectors was fun and it was easy. We also learned matrices for some reason even though it wasn't a part of the curriculum.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of 311 311

@gurkang wrote
Vectors was fun and it was easy. We also learned matrices for some reason even though it wasn't a part of the curriculum.

we learned matrices too...i thought it WAS part of the curriculum :S
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of heesoup heesoup
Matrices used to be a part of the curriculum. But now teachers treat it as an extra-enrichment concept.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of superstar2011 superstar2011
Vectors was easier than Calculus for me. Calculus allowed for a lot more creativity for the teachers, making us do all kinds of optimization problems, strange looking functions, etc. Vectors was definitely more enjoyable than calculus. It was basically a chance to visualize the three space, and nothing was too challenging in vectors. The last lessons, involving distances in three space was almost a joke, and solving systems of equations with three variables wasn't too tough either.

@Super wrote
Off-topic, but how did you guys find Data Mgmt?

It's kind of boring to start, but it gets more interesting as the course progresses. I liked the probability distributions unit the most. Data Management was generally easy except for some of the more challenging questions involving permutations and combinations as well as the probability of such arrangements.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@gurkang wrote

I guess your teachers wanted to teach you different ways of doing elementary operations with systems of equations involving three variables. You probably studied Gaussian and Gauss-Jordan Elimination techniques, then, where you use "ranks" to determine the type of intersection of three planes. I wasn't taught that, but I've seen examples of these problems solved using matrices.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of AhIsee AhIsee
Honestly, no.

People have different "flavours" in a sense, in math throughout high school, my teachers would take away the novels I would read in class...

In Calculus + Vectors this year, I found the first lesson interesting than slacked for the rest of the year. Still passed, but not looking forward to any form of math until university where its an actual challenge and where I'll actually be studying.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of ms9141109 ms9141109
Everyone here seems to have taken a "vector" class. I think at my school we only use vectors in physics, not math. What highschools are you guys from?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of Fma Fma

@ms9141109 wrote
Everyone here seems to have taken a "vector" class. I think at my school we only use vectors in physics, not math. What highschools are you guys from?

In Ontario, the calculus course is actually called Calculus & Vectors, or MCV4U
this "High End" math course deals with both calc and vect.
Was this helpful? Yes 0

A photo of esin esin
I <3 Math, doesn't matter what flavour
Was this helpful? Yes 0

@ms9141109 wrote

In Ontario, there is a math course called Calculus and Vectors, whose course code is MCV4U. So half the class is based on vectors, and we're comparing our enjoyment of it to that of the calculus half.
Was this helpful? Yes 0